Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Maud Pie's Joke-a fan song using Maud Pie vocal samples

jjbluesam

The biggest thing right now is your lack of variance. It seems like all you're doing is taking the quotes, breaking them off according to pitches and putting them to a percussive beat. What you need is a progression of chords to establish a foundation for this piece. Also, perhaps some breaks in between, instead of making the rhythmic quotes, because to me, it just sounds like mish-mash, except the percussive beat. I'm sorry if this discourages you but...you might need to start from scratch with this. I can help you reform this piece if you'd like. 

• Brohoof 1

The biggest thing right now is your lack of variance. It seems like all you're doing is taking the quotes, breaking them off according to pitches and putting them to a percussive beat. What you need is a progression of chords to establish a foundation for this piece. Also, perhaps some breaks in between, instead of making the rhythmic quotes, because to me, it just sounds like mish-mash, except the percussive beat. I'm sorry if this discourages you but...you might need to start from scratch with this. I can help you reform this piece if you'd like. 

It's okay. I'm open to criticism, as long as you have good reasons and you state them. Chances are when I grow older (and hopefully become successful) I'll probably look back on this and cringe.

I tend to be a make one song and move on kind of guy, so I probably won't end up tweaking it in the future.

Any tips for melodies and mixing?  :fluttershy:

Edit: and holy crap your music on your SoundCloud is amazing. Please upload more. Now excuse me while I like and repost your songs.

Edited by jjbluesam

It's okay. I'm open to criticism, as long as you have good reasons and you state them. Chances are when I grow older (and hopefully become successful) I'll probably look back on this and cringe.

I tend to be a make one song and move on kind of guy, so I probably won't end up tweaking it in the future.

Any tips for melodies and mixing?  :fluttershy:

Edit: and holy crap your music on your SoundCloud is amazing. Please upload more. Now excuse me while I like and repost your songs.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/136619-chords-progressions-modulations-a-guide-to-composing-music/

Check this thread out. It will get you started on how to make effective progressions. And also, making a great melody means that you will also have to pay attention to how the progressions will go. It's all up to how you make the song, and as the thread states, don't limit yourself when making progressions. The more the merrier! :D

https://mlpforums.com/topic/136619-chords-progressions-modulations-a-guide-to-composing-music/

Check this thread out. It will get you started on how to make effective progressions. And also, making a great melody means that you will also have to pay attention to how the progressions will go. It's all up to how you make the song, and as the thread states, don't limit yourself when making progressions. The more the merrier! :D

To be honest, I've always preferred the less is more approach with music. 

But if you want to produce music that could keep your audiences engaged...you're gonna have to stretch it out...

I'll just stick to doing the music I like. I'll try to do more complex stuff, so I can go out of my comfort zone, (which is good for growing your talent) but less is more is just in my nature.

I'll just stick to doing the music I like. I'll try to do more complex stuff, so I can go out of my comfort zone, (which is good for growing your talent) but less is more is just in my nature.

Alright...but I must tell you this: people may keep on telling you the same thing about limiting your chords. There are in fact some people who do limit their chords, but they know how to make great melodies over the small progressions. 

Alright...but I must tell you this: people may keep on telling you the same thing about limiting your chords. There are in fact some people who do limit their chords, but they know how to make great melodies over the small progressions. 

Hey, I'll learn how to do good melodies. B)

(gosh that was egotistic, even for me)

Alright. Where should I start?

Use the knowledge from that thread I just linked you to. Also, learn how to read sheet music. Seeing the notes is very valuable when composing music. In fact, download a free copy of Finale Notepad 2012 and fiddle around with a melody or a chord progression.

Use the knowledge from that thread I just linked you to. Also, learn how to read sheet music. Seeing the notes is very valuable when composing music. In fact, download a free copy of Finale Notepad 2012 and fiddle around with a melody or a chord progression.

Alright, thanks!

I've also been watching Varien's music theory videos.