Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Know any good MLP games/apps?

AmberDust

Cool. Tell us how it is once you've gotten into it!

Game description: "The leveling and exploration of an RPG with the action of a top-down shooter!"

Ok, I've spent a bit of time playing it.  Unfortunately I found the movement to be a bit wonky and the control system had a serious problem with it, mostly relating to the attempt to make the game a top-down shooter, and these problems make the game exceptionally difficult. What follows is an informal and incomplete impression of the demo (see footnote 2) and should not be considered a proper review. Always use multiple sources to make informed decisions.

The game has two parts (at least, as far as I got - which wasn't far.) The first is a traditional over-world with NPCs to talk to, shops to visit, press buttons to open doors and suchlike. When you meet a monster, you enter a small arena where you battle with (or escape from) the monster. In this section you move your character around and fire magic bolts at the monsters in the manner of a top-down shooter (as the game promised.) The problem comes with the afore-mentioned movement and control system:

You move around both the over-world and the arenas using a simulated keyboard on our touchscreen, and whilst it's ok for the four cardinal directions of up, down, left and right, it struggles with diagonals (it is possible to move diagonally, but I as often as not ended up moving in a direction I didn't want to go in.) That is manageable on the over-world, but the arena battles require precision - there are a number of different enemy types, and although they look and act in different ways (which is one of the good points - the designs tie in to the combat very nicely, see footnote 1) the general idea is that you avoid the enemies' shots whilst trying to hit them with yours. However, you can only shoot in the direction you are facing (at least with the starting spell) and you can only change your facing by moving in that direction (you cannot face diagonally, even if you can move diagonally.) So if I want to shoot at a monster to my right I have to move right... towards the monster. Which will almost certainly be shooting at me. Combine this with getting caught on unclear terrain boundaries and the top-down shooter element of the game just doesn't work terribly (see footnote 3.) If you could fire freely in any direction, or if you could strafe sideways (I at least found no way of doing that) then it would be a lot easier - as it stands, I found it immensely difficult to beat even the first enemy I met in the first dungeon. 

I didn't get very far - about half-way through the first dungeon and to level 3 with a 3-power magic blast, so I can't really comment on anything else. The teleportation mechanic seemed like a good idea, but the problems with movement made it rather troublesome - all too often I would teleport into enemies or their shots. There is a leveling system, and it made my basic spell do more damage, but apparently nothing else - again, though, I didn't get far enough to really test it. Perhaps with a keyboard and mouse or a console controller this game could have been really good, but not with the touch-screen as it is. The demo is free and has plenty of content, so by all means go and try it (that's far and away the best way to find out if you'll like it) but I would advise against the paid-for version.

Footnotes:

1. Moving shields that, when shot, fire back at you; others that are surrounded by shields that shoot at you until you destroy them and open up a hole to attack the monster through; once monster that summons an indestructible shield around itself and fires at you, then lowers its shield and stops shooting for a brief moment. 

2. I only played the free demo version with the first dungeon, and I played it on my Samsung Galaxy tablet.

3. Watch the trailer with what I said in mind - watching how the character moves and shoots. A bit too much standing still and taking damage rather than dodging.

• 2 weeks later...

@@AmberDust,

There's an official MLP Gameloft app that's for iphone and android. You can find it in the app store. You can also go to equestriagaming.com and they've got an arcade where you can play all types of pony games.

So I got the game and I've been playing it for a while. Its cute, and fun enough. If anyone wants to drop their friend codes here, mine is a71cce. :)

If you like Phoenix Wright I highly suggest a game called My Little Investigations.  They've only released the first case so far but it's a very well designed game with good graphics and gameplay.

If you're into visual novels there's always Welcome To Ponyville.  It's pretty good for one playthrough but there's not much replay value and it seems like they scrapped the project before the second chapter was finished.

And if you like flash games futzi01 created several of them on Deviantart.  I'm kinda partial to Spike Toss myself.

• Brohoof 1