Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

friendship games Friendship Games: Where It was Great and Where it Fell Short

So for the sake of simplicity we are going to focus on just the Equestria Girls movies, and not the series for this comparison. A lot of people felt the story of the first film was very weak, but here is my thoughts on where Friendship Games improved over the original and Rainbow Rocks and where it fell a bit short. Naturally this is only my opinion and I encourage all responses.

So the first film had a fairly weak story, but a few great moments. The music was so-so. Rainbow Rocks I think is arguably the better film as it had a much more defined plot, with a superior sound track. To date, Rainbow Rocks definitely has the best soundtrack even over Friendship Games, but the film being ABOUT music kind of made that an easy victory. So Rainbow Rocks takes the cake in terms of music. However I did feel that the PLOT of Friendship Games was far more interesting than both of the other two films. It also did not utilize the crutch of the show to aid it. Let's be honest, Twilight going to that world was so we could have at least 1 familiar character from the show to give people a reason to give the movie a chance, but the third film decided it did not need to play it safe anymore.

Also Sunset was by far the most evolved from this film, moreso than either of the other two. She has come to grips with people joking about her antics in the first film, and even become sort of a leader. Twilight has metaphorically "passed the torch" to Sunset. It was a nice change. I am not about to dig too far into the film to levels of over analysis but here are some bullet points which if people follow my posts they know I like using a lot to sum things up.

• Friendship Games had weaker music than Rainbow Rocks and the original film.
  • Friendship Games story was superior to the original movie and probably on par if not just a tad better than Rainbow Rocks.
  • Friendship Games handled Sunset's character better than both the other films.
  • I applaud Friendship Games for not relying on the crutch of the show to keep it going.

Overall, I would say that Friendship Games in my opinion was better than the first film, but slightly weaker than the second. While the plot is a LITTLE better, it's not enough to make up for the fact that the second film had fantastic music.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I really liked most of the music, but I'll agree. It doesn't top Rainbow Rocks. Where every song in this movie was just "Good", almost all of the songs in Rainbow Rocks were fantastic. The exception being "Unleash the Magic". Which is one of my favorite songs from MLP or EQG period, it builds up such a good mood, musical highlight of the movie.

The only problem I had with Friendship Games was that the Shadowbolts turned good too fast.

I don't think the Shadowbolts were ever really "Bad" in the same way villains or even Principal Cinch were. They were over competitive jerks obsessed with winning, and bullies to Twilight, but never really evil. They're certainly not nice, but they aren't completely heartless like Cinch was, which is why they stayed to help the CHS students. They knew they messed up and didn't want anyone to die for it, I think they were mostly just going along with what Cinch wanted really.

So, I don't think they turned from "Bad" to "Good". I think they were just showing their true colors.

Oh another good point, I liked how this movie was a "bit" longer. They really need to bump these films up to 1 hour and 30 minutes so they can feel more like films and less like extended episodes. Give themselves more time to flesh it out.

My only real gripe was that we didn't get to see enough of the rival Shadowbolts, despite Hasbro highly advertising them. Which sucks, because even with what little we saw of them, they seemed like they could be pretty fun characters

Also, I'm probably in the minority, but I preferred FG's soundtrack over RR

Edited by LAZENGANN OVERLOAD
  • Brohoof 3

I think my only real gripe would have to be Principal Cinch. She never really commanded a presence of a villain and was easily forgettable. At the same time though I appreciate how she wasn't another power-hungry, destroy/conquer the world type of villain. I will give her that, but really she was far from a highlight.

Overall though FG was an absolute treat to watch; and I don't even remember any cringe-worthy scenes. :)

• Brohoof 2

I would say my only issues would be the Shadowbolts weren't given enough screen time and in terms of development they immediately went from bad to good, and Twilight's whole corruption was rather confusing at least to me, but other than those issues the movie was fantastic!

• Brohoof 1

My only issues with Friendship Games were 3

-The shadowbolts had very little screen time, had barely any dialogue, and they turned good way too quick.

-Principal cinch wasn't a very good villain she was indeed very forgetable through out the whole movie and even after.

-Human world twilight all of a sudden wanted to take over equestria like sunset shimmer in the first EQG like really?

(Hasbro better not go with that whole "The magic corrupted her" BS!!!)

-Human world twilight all of a sudden wanted to take over equestria like sunset shimmer in the first EQG like really? (Hasbro better not go with that whole "The magic corrupted her" BS!!!)

I think the idea is that in her heart she was curious, ambitious. The magic took hold of that curiosity and ambition and fueled her change. Similar to how Nightmare Moon was created, Luna's jealousy was taken advantage of.