Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

friendship games Why are these films so praised in spite of their horrifically poor writing?

Cleverclover

Surprised this thread is still here. The entire thread, and every post Clever Clover has made within it, including the Original Post, are nothing but deliberately antagonistic. It serves no purpose than to make the Equestria Girls sub-forum more unpleasant. Even when people try to refute the OP's non-existant arguments, they're met with an obstinant "nuh-uh, it's s**t!" with no substance. The thread is just here to antagonize us for liking something they don't like.

"Deliberately antagonistic?" 

I have not attacked anyone in this thread, and I have simply called out what I feel are ridiculously poor excuses justifying its lousy writing. Hell, I even commended Sugar Coat for his/her efforts to defend it. 

Look, I'm really sorry that I thought the writing in this film was terrible. I'm really sorry that I wanted to know why people love this film in spite of it's lousy writing. That's really all I can say. 

• Brohoof 1

cough...you know these films writting is on par with the shows right? Characters like Sunny  or Adagio have the bonus of an actual task that doesnt include a flavor of the week villian showing up or some estranged relative.

The answer to your question however, is people LOVE anything to do with mlp its part of being induldged something. Hasbro could put out a 30 second clip of spike reading a comic book and we would rabidly download it.

Face it, they got us by the short hairs...wouldnt change a thing!

Give me 1 day & I could name you 50+ hit movies w plot holes you could drive a truck through.  Just off hand

Pinocchio   Your kid goes missing, so you immediately take ship to the middle of the ocean where you find him just off an uncharted island (Lost, any one?)

Lord of the Rings Gandalf falls to his death.  His explanation "I fell for a long time, then I climbed out of the hole & came here" No one questions it.

Citizen Kane  He dies alone, so how does anyone know he said "Rosebud"?

I ain't even going to get into the time sequence in The Terminator movies, Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) pointed out anytime Superman catches someone falling it should kill them, etc.

A big reason I don't usually watch movies is these lapses in logic annoy the bejabbers out of me.  In short, regrettably, this movie ain't unusually bad in it's lack of logic.

Bosses like Cinch don't Have to be nice, they just have to be in charge.  Regrettably, all too many bosses care only about keeping their job.

This kind of argument is bothering me to no end, it's nearly insane that people would make this argument.

It's just a cartoon, buddy. Chill. Other people's opinion shouldn't bother you to no end. Don't get so bent out of shape.

If its realism you are after, you are in looking in the wrong place.

That's the thing, looking at it in a realistic perspective is why I enjoyed Friendship Games.

The principal taking the games so seriously despite seeing monsters on the field and passing off as cheating had me dying of laughter.

Like, "ooh, this is some foul play. Like the time the Seattle Seahawks replaced their players with Orcs or the Houston Rockets used Ents".

Cuz yeah, if you look at it as just a cartoon where this stuff is normal to them, I guess then there's nothing really to find amusing, at least from my perspective.

Edited by pollo20x6

It's just a cartoon, buddy. Chill. Other people's opinion shouldn't bother you to no end. Don't get so bent out of shape.

That's the thing, looking at it in a realistic perspective is why I enjoyed Friendship Games.

The principal taking the games so seriously despite seeing monsters on the field and passing off as cheating had me dying of laughter.

Like, "ooh, this is some foul play. Like the time the Seattle Seahawks replaced their players with Orcs or the Houston Rockets used Ents".

Cuz yeah, if you look at it as just a cartoon where this stuff is normal to them, I guess then there's nothing really to find amusing, at least from my perspective.

Don't you see the hypocricy in you telling me to chill because it's just a cartoon?

• Brohoof 1

Don't you see the hypocricy in you telling me to chill because it's just a cartoon?

Not really. I thought the movie was enjoyable but if someone told me it was the absolute worst because "rainbow dash doesn't say 20% cooler" meh.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest because it's just a cartoon. Poaitive or negative, other people's opinions shouldn't take away from my enjoyment and they don't bother me at all.

"Deliberately antagonistic?"

I have not attacked anyone in this thread, and I have simply called out what I feel are ridiculously poor excuses justifying its lousy writing. Hell, I even commended Sugar Coat for his/her efforts to defend it.

Look, I'm really sorry that I thought the writing in this film was terrible. I'm really sorry that I wanted to know why people love this film in spite of it's lousy writing. That's really all I can say.

You shouldn't be sorry.

The fact that your being accused of antagonizing is just the fandom living up to that victim complex stereotype.

I recall the popular MLP YouTuber Tommy Oliver quit making MLP videos because he got fed up of whenever he criticized something MLP, he'd get backlash.

People take this show way to seriously. It's fine to discuss and have fun talking about it. But when you get accused of antagonizing simply because you're asking what enjoyment others see in it, that's when people are taking it too seriously.

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 1

Temporarily locking this topic. Note for future reference, mentioning any member in third person in a negative way is bush league and we don't tolerate that here.

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with stating an unfavorable opinion of the films, the show, the writers, or the characters, the songs, whatever. Doing so is not antagonistic behavior and this forum is not going to be a haven for only opinions that are completely positive.

• Brohoof 7

I have reopened this topic. I can't really go into to much detail that is different than what I said above, but the only time I will personally act on someone who dislikes ANYTHING related to Pony or EqG or the fandom is if the topic is written in a purposely caustic or trollish manner. This is not the case here. Let's be honest ... I like EqG just fine ... but someone else's contrary opinion really isn't something that I find dangerous to my own view and enjoyment of the show. And to be frank ... these aren't exactly Coen Brothers films here.

No one should want an echo chamber or the same basic opinion with just a few different toppings. I have plenty of negative things to say about several of the episodes and the films. In fact it was that general shock of the lack of quality that made me look into the show again at the behest of my kids. A counter opinion is good. It also tends to be treated as if this is a contact sport where there is or should be a clear winner or loser. This isn't the US Congress where we take a vote. This forum is a platform for all opinions about the show.

TL;DR - Unless it becomes abusive, needlessly spammy with a multitude of topics, personal (stalking a member just to argue with them), or a straight up troll ... it is all good.

• Brohoof 5

plot holes don't necessarily equal bad writing. There will always be plot holes. What's more important to me are the characters, the value of the story, and how satisfying the characters progress. The characters in EQG are good hearted, it retains the positivity of FiM, and you can watch Sunny progress substantially from EQG 1 to EQG 3. It's really quite enjoyable to watch.

• Brohoof 2

While I can understand the questions you are asking about the film, I feel like asking these questions sucks all the fun out of it. I mean, they are animated movies. Cartoons. For kids. You really think little kids are sitting there thinking "but why isn't the government getting involved to try and discover the source of this magic?!?!". No, probably not. I wasn't even thinking that, and I'm 21. I just want to watch and enjoy the movie. Not everything can make sense in a show about talking ponies.

On top of that, the EG world, while yes they appear human and don't have access to magic like the ponies in Equestria, they have all different wacky colored skin and hair, not to mention names that are not human. My point being, this "human" world is completely different from the real world to begin with. I mean really, all this is like asking "why does no one find it weird that Brian the dog can talk?" about Family Guy. At the end of the day it's just a cartoon, and so I sit back and enjoy B)

• Brohoof 1

To me, it was more of the passive response of the audience during the second round. No reaction to Applejack and Twilight Sparkle. No reaction of the big giant piranha plant popping up in the middle of the race and attacking the racers. They waited until the race was finished, before doing something.

Edited by Singe

People can enjoy movies and cartoons that make no sense because they are fun to watch. I know that 'analytical' people tend have no concept of fun, so I can see why you don't understand it. It just puzzles me why you're watching cartoons in the first place, since silly fun is their raison d'etre. Have you ever considered complaining about Star Trek instead? It seems like something that would be right up your alley.

Edited by zombienixon

- Why do the people in this world feel nothing like legitimate human beings, acting entirely numb to the existence and presence of magic (with the exception of SciTwi)? 

- Why wasn't the existence of magic a massively reported news story? Why didn't anyone think there was anything strange about magical rainbows shooting up into the sky, or the any of the other unexplainable things that appear to happen near CHS?   

- Why did the Crystal Prep students want Twilight to unleash her magic, despite having just escaped danger that was only caused when her magic got loose?   

- Why was Midnight Sparkle evil while "Daydream Shimmer" was good, despite having received a transformation from the exact same source of magic? 

- Why and how was SciTwi able to create a device that can locate and extract magic, apparently without even knowing how it works?    - Why was Cinch so devoid of human empathy, in spite of being an actual, full-blooded human?   

I have a few head canon answers for a majority of them, but as to your over arching question; They are entertaining. Yes they do cause the more analytical side of me to get a headache, but they are fun none the less. 

People can enjoy movies and cartoons that make no sense because they are fun to watch. I know that 'analytical' people such as yourself have no concept of fun, so we can't expect you to understand. It just puzzles me why you're watching cartoons in the first place, since silly fun is their raison d'etre. Have you ever considered complaining about Star Trek instead? It seems like something that would be right up your alley.

That's not entirely true. 

I made an analysis video about Friendship Games and I criticized small details such as, for example, certain lines spoken by the main characters; stuff that could be considered nitpicking by some depending on how much someone agrees with my arguments. .

But I still enjoyed the movie. 

You can be analytical and highly critical, but still have concept of fun. 

Also, don't mistake analysis and criticism for complaining. That's rather rude towards other's opinions who may not see the movie's as that great and did give it a fair chance. We can't honestly expect Friendship Games to appeal to every single person. 

I know you didn't explicitly said he was complaining about Friendship Games, but by asking if he's considered complaining about Star Trek instead, it seems like you're implying that he stop complaining about this topic and go complain about that topic instead. 

Edited by pollo20x6

But I still enjoyed the movie. You can be analytical and highly critical, but still have concept of fun.

You'd be the first one I've encountered.  

For all of the sarcasm in there, I do think I have a valid question of why they even watch cartoons in the first place. If there's one medium that should be able to do non-sensical crap for no reason, it should be cartoons, well, that and anime, but they do that already.

- Why was Cinch so devoid of human empathy, in spite of being an actual, full-blooded human?

Watching Patty Hewes from Damages.

I guess Cinch had a bad life and hardships that forced her to end up that way.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

You'd be the first one I've encountered.  

For all of the sarcasm in there, I do think I have a valid question of why they even watch cartoons in the first place. If there's one medium that should be able to do non-sensical crap for no reason, it should be cartoons, well, that and anime, but they do that already.

There was Tommy Oliver, a popular YouTuber who would review MLP episodes, but he got fed up with it because he found that whenever he criticized something, his fans would dislike his videos rather than respect his opinions.

So he just stopped making videos about MLP. 

As for why they watch cartoons in first place, well, I think it's because cartoons are still a respectable medium that shouldn't be given a free pass.

Analysis and criticism isn't always a bad thing. For example, it is through critical lens that we are able to see what makes FiM such a great show. We break down the components, analysis the structure and see "hey, this show is revolutionary and worthy of being remembered because it does this right whereas terrible cartoons such as X, Y, and Z do this and that".

Being critical of cartoons is why we have FiM in the first place. Lauren Faust has spoken critical about G1 and little girl's shows in general from her childhood

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/12/24/my-little-non-homophobic-non-racist-non-smart-shaming-pony-a-rebuttal/

If she had just said "it's nonsensical fun for kids. No need to challenge the audience to be mentally engaged", there would have been no need for G4 to raise the bar of children's animation intended for girls.

Without a bar, there is no standard and standard is created through analysis and criticism. 

Edited by pollo20x6

- Why was Midnight Sparkle evil while "Daydream Shimmer" was good, despite having received a transformation from the exact same source of magic? 

- Why was Cinch so devoid of human empathy, in spite of being an actual, full-blooded human? 

1) I think the reason Midnight Sparkle turned evil while Daydream Shimmer turned good, is that each had different reactions or "effects" of friendship. Once the magic transformed Midnight Sparkle, since she didn't understand the meaning of friendship and it was the remaining magic from the elements of harmony in Equestria brought by Twilight. As said in the first movie "But it is a magic you cannot wield" because Evil Sunset didn't have the true essence of friendship. Just like Midnight Sparkle. Sunset was able to wield it because she knew and carried the traits of all 5 elements, including magic.

2) There have been worst human beings in the world, plus she was willing to do anything to make sure Crystal Prep won. Her reputation was on line, and what if taken from real human beings, reputation is sometimes the most common motivator of despicable acts. Or she just was a poorly written character. :lie:   

People can enjoy movies and cartoons that make no sense because they are fun to watch. I know that 'analytical' people tend have no concept of fun, so I can see why you don't understand it. It just puzzles me why you're watching cartoons in the first place, since silly fun is their raison d'etre. Have you ever considered complaining about Star Trek instead? It seems like something that would be right up your alley.

I'll say it again, I don't have to be analytical in the slightest to see that the writing of this film is just plain nonsensical. 

Why am I watching cartoons, you ask? Because I know that many cartoons are, generally, written far better than this. And I don't have to switch off my common sense to enjoy them, as I have to do with this film (as well as the previous two). That's why. 

To me, Cinch is easily most easily understood character of the movie. Heck, she even spelled it out for SciTwi when she press-ganged her into the Friendship Games.

Reputation provides a degree of influence, which is in many cases synonymous with power, and she derives at least part that influence from the CPS's quad-annual curb-stomp of CHS. Of course her coercing Twilight to release a massive force she barely understands is stupid, that's the whole point. It's not an act of manipulation, it's an act of desperation - her demeanor notwithstanding, her back is against the wall. Canterlot already won one event and almost won another, both of them being completely unprecedented and she's grasping for something, anything that might possibly give her victory. That's why she outright rejects any possibility of a tie - in the world that Cinch built up, it's not enough to simply show you're good, or even great, but also that you are better than anybody else. After Canterlot put up a fight after she took it for granted for year after year that her students, and by extension her, would simply roll over Canterlot threatened what she valued the most - her power. And she acted as scared people tend to, by grasping at whatever straw she could see, blind to just how much more she could stain to lose.