Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

cosplay Space Pony Mask

Idris

After thirty or more hours work it's basically done. The paper template design came from Wintercroft Masks. You print it off, check the scale and stick them to cardboard. Then sticky tape it together.

Or, if you have a bolt loose, you stick them to a sheet of 1mm thick aluminium.

image_zps1smvqkv4.jpeg

image_zpss40qglpd.jpeg

image_zpsclay3saq.jpeg

Two of us took six hours to weld it. I held it and Tony did the Tig welding. I can Tig weld, but not thin ally and I didn't want to wreck all that cutting and bending!

The ear has flashing led's that reflect nicely off its facets.

Liner is a builders hat webbing.

Crest was a hand brush.

Polishing took hours.

The nose slots are too see and move the air.

There is a 2" hole under the chin.

Weighs about three pounds.

• Brohoof 9

I'm glad you like it. We are very pleased it worked out :)

The guys site is http://wintercroft.comand they are very nice, but cardboard never lasts for me, so I decided to stretch my fabrication skills.

The clever 'fix' was to join his parts in some places and seperated in others. I needed the welds to be the same left and right sides to stop distortion. And I wasn't restrained by the A4 size, as I had that big plastic coated sheet. Adding tabs helped a bit (blue marker lines).

The best compliment has been from Steve Wintercroft who really likes it. That's extra cool as our whole fandom is about taking an idea and running with it!

Now I'm a Brony who writes and makes cosplay! I only found the show in February!

From 'My Little A.I.' to this? Weird year :o

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I did my first con and cosplay Saturday and Sunday at UKPonycon!

Cosplay is fun :)

There was much photo-ing :o

image_zps1im7sokn.jpeg

I didn't fall off the stage at the parade which was cool. (Depth perception is lost in it)

The LED lights ran all weekend.

I started the bottle pack Friday afternoon and it's basically a pocket for my iPad.

I also did a class on pony drawing! Make room on the fridge door!

Edited by Idris
  • Brohoof 2

It's not really MLP? So I popped it in here.

I've got stories in here as well.

"Tigger Tank" short story is in the pony-section, which is 'mecha' with MLPFIM OC's.

If it isn't directly MLP or MLPFIM I usually arrive here. This forum probably has more of my work than anywhere else ( excluding the off-road side of Team Idris ).

• 4 months later...

Oh dear, this thread is all behind like a cows tail !

Space Pony was excellent fun for a 'space theme' convention, but it's a bit bright. In fact it's even more bright, because I made both ears flash. So I decided to leap sideways to Battle Pony.

First job was to put on an old white T shirt and draw the pattern on it with a black marker while stood in front of a mirror. Then I took the basic premise of the thing and made it in paper to see if would fold right and have the 'look' that Wintercroft gave the mask. That worked okay so I transferred the image to 1mm aluminium for a front and a back panel. Then I cut it out, folded it and added some extra bits before Tony welded it up.

image_zpstl6zmb1d.jpeg

I've also been fitting a nose fa in the mask so it is bearable for more than ten minutes :D

image_zps1dzpa2aq.jpeg

It looks good, but the nuts needed more bling, so I made pentagonal washers and 'raised' them with hammer and chisel.

image_zpsj0mzdbej.jpeg

A pair of Luna boots and it will be ready!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I was very impressed with it and so were other Bronies, who took many photos of me :)

It was good enough to win a medal in the cosplay competition at Buck2016 (UK Manchester)

image_zpsjuvu2xlx.jpeg

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh my stars, the mask and all the cosplays look amazing!  :pinkie:  I'm a fan of cool masks and this one is the epitome of awesome. Even more so with the lights. Impressive work!

• 10 months later...
(edited)

• 7 months later...

Pony boots :D

and nephews and storm troopers at MCM Birmingham 2017

6A700469-9D0B-44E0-81E1-F0B6555F510F.jpeg

They are hinged and sprung-return with normal shoes inside. The metal is 2mm aluminium and the sole is normal rubber sheet glued on. The fur is velcro on.

I am thinking about changing to Shining Armour with whit furry trousers? That’s a big project for me though.

0869EBB5-C361-47F1-BBE7-EEDDE7863926.jpeg

• Brohoof 1