Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Starlight Glimmer be the most powerful unicorn in Equestria?

BoopMan

One comics arc (that fleshes out Starswirl) has RD say to Twilight at one point "Didn't you say he was the most powerful magical pony that ever lived?"

...Or something like that. I'm going off of memory from months ago here. *IF* my memory's accurate (which it might not be), we've gotta wonder what they meant by "magical pony". Just "wizardy mage" types? Or all ponies able to use magic? If the latter, is that implying he was actually more powerful than Celestia and Luna?

1. I don't think the comics are cannon.

2. Starswirl being more powerful than Celestia and Luna is impossible. If he was, why didn't Celestia just call him to deal with Nightmare Moon when she betrayed them?

3. Twilight may have meant he was the most powerful unicorn, and Rainbow just paraphrased what she said, after all she wouldn't know anything about magical prowess.

I mean Twilight when she was still an unicorn, as an alicorn she would rank above Starswirl, on par with Cadence, and only below Celestia and Luna. Who do you say managed to best Twilight?

Please, let's not get into comparisons between horns and... that...

well, I'm just saying Twilight did have trouble with some of the spells that starlight glimmer cast. (such as the weird purple block and stuff) and twilight didn't use magic to defeat her so thats something... idk just my thoughts/opinions

1. I don't think the comics are cannon.

2. Starswirl being more powerful than Celestia and Luna is impossible. If he was, why didn't Celestia just call him to deal with Nightmare Moon when she betrayed them?

3. Twilight may have meant he was the most powerful unicorn, and Rainbow just paraphrased what she said, after all she wouldn't know anything about magical prowess.

I dunno, maybe the battle went by too fast (wasn't it really short in the S4 flashback?), or maybe it's because the Elements of Harmony were needed.

Could also be I'm just remembering the line wrong.

Quite possibly. Sadly we never got to see the extent of Sunset's individualized magical prowess, because 98.9% of her existence is seen through the human world. Though I'm inclined to think Starlight is one of the more powerful unicorns in Equestria, by this point. Twilight, who previously held that title, couldn't defeat her even after becoming an alicorn, that's going to put to shame pretty much every other known unicorn as of this point in time.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight is still the most powerful unicorn. Her alicorn status is more political power than actual magical power because she only gained flight and cloud walking so far. The other alicorns are only OP in a specialized magic. Twilight's special talent is magic and friendship is magic.

Both Twilight and Starlight rewrote one of Starswirl's spells, but it was the power of friendship that allows Twilight to actually acsend and not the spell itself. The same way she defeated Trixie with the Alicorn amulet. Twilight's power comes from her 5 friends (sorry Spike). Rarity has the exact same friends as Twilight, yet she can't do the same things Twilight can. If you took Leonardo da Vinci's paintbrush away from him; he could not have made the Mona Lisa. If you used that very same brush, there is no way you could create anything close to a priceless painting.

Besides,a rainbowfied Rarity could still beat Starlight.

i dunno.... twilight is no longer a unicorn, so she is crossed off, and the students, well, twilight was a star student so I can only assume she was more powerful than the other students. She did manage to best twilight with a few of her spells so I'd say she'd be above them

I'd put her at #3 or 4 at least.

• Brohoof 1

I still think Sombra is (given how he managed to control an entire city-kingdom by himself, reality-warp the whole place away for over a millennium, etc.).

Of course, he's the Umbrum's chosen "Sauron" (according to the comics), so he may or may not actually count.

Edited by A.V.

• 1 year later...
On 1-12-2015 at 7:59 AM, cider float said:

She might be a stronger unicorn than Sombra.

I still think Sombra was stronger. I don't now why, but I a feeling.

Also I think Twilight is stronger then Starlight. Who says actually that Twilights magic is upgraded becoming an alicorn. We only know that Celestia and Luna are the strongest, but they are a different alicorn race then Cadence and Twilight.

On 01/12/2015 at 9:40 AM, WriteCodes46 said:

I higly doubt it. If we were to rank unicorns from most to least powerful, I think they would be:

1. Starswirl the Bearded

2. Former unicorn Twilight Sparkle

3. Sunset Shimmer

4. The students of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns

5. Starlight Glimmer

6. Trixie Lulamoon

7. Rarity, and the average unicorn.

Lol, there is no way Sunset Shimmer is above Starlight Glimmer in magic. Just look at Sunset's ham-fisted farce of a theft in EQG1 and her subsequent "evil" plot which has to be the single thought-out worst villain scheme in all of MLP:FIM, worse I say, than Principal Abacus Cinch. It is true that she was a one-time protêge of Celestia but she was also booted and it was also not her fate to be an alicorn whilst Starlight outstrips her friend Sunburst whose real speciality is in magical lore but was accepted into Celestia's academy nevertheless. Starlight came extremely close to accidentally destroying the timeline and reducing Equestria to a barren wasteland, not to mention her quick mastery and cross-application of a wide variety of spells that allows her to keep pace with Twilight, even if she received a power boost from Starswirl's scroll and Twilight seemed to be holding back. Starlight also can sustain self-levitation. Every single time Sunset saves the weaker human world in EQG, she does it with the help of the Humane 5.

Oh yeah, Rarity is far above Trixie as well. She fires lasers beams, can magically manipulate multiple objects, transmutate or prettify entire objects and is far scarier with Inspiration Manifestation than Trixie is with the Alicorn Amulet. Trixie is all smoke and mirrors.

1. Starswirl The Bearded
  2. Twilight Sparkle (unicorn)/Snowfall Frost
  3. Starlight Glimmer
  4. Clover The Clever
  5. Sunset Shimmer
  6. Moondancer and the other Celestia's School For Unicorn Graduates/Rarity
  7. Everypony else (Unicorn)