Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Comic questions?

Asteroids

These days opinion is fairly split in regards to the quality of the comics. Personally I am a BIG fan of them still, but there are plenty of dissenting opinions of them as well. It might help to do some research so you can decide for yourself, but considering general opinion:

Main Series: Can be fun and epic, but can run into pacing issues and general has the more controversial/lower quality issues.

Friends Forever: A bit more higher regarded due to the more "Slice of Life" and character-driven stories

Micro series: Mixed, though largely positive ASIDE from the terrible Rainbow Dash issue

FIENDship is Magic: Sombra & Chrysalis issues highly regard, Tirek decent, mixed on Sirens & Nightmare Moon

Misc: Two annuals, as well as the EqG Christmas issue, and a MLP Christmas issue upcoming

So yeah, there is plenty of material to cover, but don't let one side sway you one way or another. :)

• Brohoof 2

I've read the comics (or a large portion of the main one "Friendship is Magic") and I must say it's awesome :D

Thought 1 part in Volume #1 of  the "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" comic really threw me off, and was something I totally didn't expect..

Which was what appears to be a stylized killing of a kitten by the hooves of Chrysalis :wau:

D58Jw43.jpg

But other than that 1 incident, It's a really entertaining read and you learn a lot about some back story and lore of Equestria..

Though a lot of people don't consider it "canon" that's for you to decide ;)

The things Pinkie says and does in the comics are really funny and are worth a good laugh :lol:

EDIT: I really like the plot of #17 onwards.. :) I won't say any spoilers.. But I can't get a hold of volume #18 to continue the story..

(Some stories continue through multiple comic volumes BTW..)

EDIT: But yeah, it's great, has a cool drawn style, and has lots of funny parts..

This epic cover art:

pafRQr2.png

Lol, Luna trying to lift the Sun xD

S1999sY.png

Fluttersaur?! O__O

DL30d27.png

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Ah, the expertly written word!  The amazing beauty beholden from ink and quill - okay, MODERN ink and quill, but YOU get the reference -  and the ideas placed within, the subconscious mind to endure!

Oh, ha HAAAAA ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!

If you WERE to read the comics, my dear Ignite, it would only make sense to start from the beginning...

... so my advice is to start from the middle, and read your way out of both sides at once!  But it may be tricky, unless the issues you read are HOLE-LEY REMARKABLE!

post-37955-0-79661200-1459486372_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

... so my advice is to start from the middle, and read your way out of both sides at once!  But it may be tricky, unless the issues you read are HOLE-LEY REMARKABLE!

The only way that would really work is if the comic stopped being written, because the middle now may only be a third of the way in by the time all is written :P

Also this thread is a few months old with no replies except from myself and Pathfinder :lol:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've read them all, and will continue to do so, even at a cost of $8 per month.

Yes, there are some mediocre ones, but most of them at least have something to offer, and many are very strong.  

They all stand along, or stand alone with the 1-3 others in a short series, so you don't have to go back and binge them all to get enjoyment out of them.  
but there are some really killer stories to pick up, like:

• Rarity Microseries: great character development and a great story.  It contains maybe my favorite Rarity moment of in all of the canon.  
  • Luna Microseries: this is a WILD ride!  super fun and crazy, lots of wonderful new characters, lots of little twists, fantastic lines, and a terrific final punch.
  • Friends Forever: Celestia and Spike.  Best Celestia moment ever!  This is the way I always want to see her, and this shows off her best side in a charming and thoughtful adventure with Spike.  You get character growth and humor as well.
  • Main: two-part pirate series.  my favorite multiparter, and I got it signed by the writer!  it does NOT go where you think it will, and it really is adorable.  It is also interesting from the perspective of the major change in tone from the first to second parts.  

And they are continuing to produce good content.  The most recent main series was very strong.  I love seeing young Twilight in Celestia's school, dealing with a very adult challenge.  it makes me wonder if the writer knew someone who had to handle it, or had to handle it themself growing up.  

Even the ridiculous sounding "friends forever: shining armor and prince blueblood" was a pleasant surprise.  

Go for it!  

If you want more suggestions, I could dig into them and re-remember my favorite stories.

Edited by weesh

I've read them all, and will continue to do so, even at a cost of $8 per month.

Yes, there are some mediocre ones, but most of them at least have something to offer, and many are very strong.  

They all stand along, or stand alone with the 1-3 others in a short series, so you don't have to go back and binge them all to get enjoyment out of them.  

but there are some really killer stories to pick up, like:

• Rarity Microseries: great character development and a great story.  It contains maybe my favorite Rarity moment of in all of the canon.  
  • Luna Microseries: this is a WILD ride!  super fun and crazy, lots of wonderful new characters, lots of little twists, fantastic lines, and a terrific final punch.
  • Friends Forever: Celestia and Spike.  Best Celestia moment ever!  This is the way I always want to see her, and this shows off her best side in a charming and thoughtful adventure with Spike.  You get character growth and humor as well.
  • Main: two-part pirate series.  my favorite multiparter, and I got it signed by the writer!  it does NOT go where you think it will, and it really is adorable.  It is also interesting from the perspective of the major change in tone from the first to second parts.  

And they are continuing to produce good content.  The most recent main series was very strong.  I love seeing young Twilight in Celestia's school, dealing with a very adult challenge.  it makes me wonder if the writer knew someone who had to handle it, or had to handle it themself growing up.  

Even the ridiculous sounding "friends forever: shining armor and prince blueblood" was a pleasant surprise.  

Go for it!  

If you want more suggestions, I could dig into them and re-remember my favorite stories.

This thread got necro'd by Discord. It's like 4 months old. But speaking of that pirate arc, it ties in a little to that "Under the Sparkling Sea" book - Did you read that one?

This thread got necro'd by Discord. It's like 4 months old. But speaking of that pirate arc, it ties in a little to that "Under the Sparkling Sea" book - Did you read that one?

no, for the novels, I've only read the first 6 Berrow books

(edited)

no, for the novels, I've only read the first 6 Berrow books

Not a novel, it's a "picture book" - But it's a special picture book, with high quality hand painted art. Pirate arc made a couple tiny references to it that makes it seem the comic writer was taking it as canon (a couple little things make more sense when you know about the events of the book).

http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Under-Sparkling/dp/0316245593

Edited by Daring_Do

Not a novel, it's a "picture book" - But it's a special picture book, with high quality hand painted art. Pirate arc made a couple tiny references to it that makes it seem the comic writer was taking it as canon (a couple little things make more sense when you know about the events of the book).

oh how interesting.  that went right over my head.