Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one that finds Changelings ugly?

SilverStarApple

I find Changelings ugly. They have holes, they're insects that look like ponies, they have ugly fangs, and they generally look like evil low-power redshirts on the enemy team, like Goombas and Stupid Drill Tanks. Their bodies are full of holes, and they are completely and utterly evil. Or at least, those seen on the show so far have been, save Doomie from Episode 100. In the comics, you even see what The Changelings do to civilizations willing to give them love. They're a metaphor for relationships that turn out to be abusive and horrible, ones where you feel like you're trapped with a soul-sucking monster you thought was your friend/lover/whatever.

So why does this fandom like them so much? I can understand that making a changeling character is stupidly easy, and I understand all those writers making waves of "Changeling number Insert-Number-Here moves to Ponyville" fics, as they represent someone who can change to fit in but doesn't want to, and has no idea who the real them is beyond how people don't like them for revealing who they truly are inside. Freud would have a field day with that, if it was an alternate-universe Freud that knew of bronies and wasn't... well, you know. Obsessed... with... cigars. Because cigars are bad for your health, like smoking. Eeyup.

Still, understanding one aspect of something doesn't mean you understand it all. And I don't understand why this fandom loves and romanticises changelings so much. Am I alone in disliking them? And why DO people like them?

• Brohoof 4

I believe that it's because of that changelings have so much potential in them to be different than the way that they are portrayed in the show and comics. What with their ability to change their appearance or just their default appearance, changelings can be capable of many forms of development.

• Brohoof 5

I believe that it's because of that changelings have so much potential in them to be different than the way that they are portrayed in the show and comics. What with their ability to change their appearance or just their default appearance, changelings can be capable of many forms of development.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. They can change how they look, so you can develop each one's character a different way? How does being a Red Pony, Blue Pony, or Purple Pony factor into a character's development?

I think that it has a little to do with how much this fandom tends to like the villains and antagonists in the show.

Changelings are edgy and cool.

EDIT: I like the way they look. But not in the same way I think that ponies are "pleasant to the eye". I think that changelings aren't ugly. It's like a dragon. It's not beautiful, but not ugly. It's "right" for what it needs to be.

Edited by Metemponychosis
  • Brohoof 3

I think people like them because we know so little about them. Much like background ponies (and we all know how some people get around Derpy), the show gives them pretty much no backstory and no way of defining their character other than the context in which they appear, so naturally everyone rushes in with their own ideas for what their personalities are like. That's what I think, anyway.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know, they're kind of cute for grotesque insect pony things. I think it's due to the gorgeously cartoon art direction of this show. Almost nothing can be considered objectively ugly in this cartoon. 

• Brohoof 3

I sorta agree in terms of the standard changelings. Though I don't think they look grotesque or anything, they just have an intimidating insect-like appearance which is a bit off-putting but I feel like that is intentional. It works in that regard. Chrysalis though, she looks pretty good even with Swiss cheese legs. One thing I like best about their appearance is their color scheme. The two main colors blend together well to me. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't really care about the Changelings. I feel as if too many people live in a "love it or hate" world. Not just this particular topic. But I still get it, opinions will always differ. I don't have a problem with it unless people present their opinions as fact.

"Oh, this is entirely bad," "Oh, you're definitively wrong," Yada, yada, yada. Uf-da.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah. I don't really care about the Changelings.

I absolutely hate bugs. With the fury of a thousand burning suns. :okiedokielokie:

I really love changelings though, the way they look like insect-ponies is pretty cool, and I just generally like their designs. :twi:

(PS: I think it's ironic how has the rank of Changeling. :catface:)

• Brohoof 1

Why do people like Changelings?

Maybe it's a side effect of movies like Antz and A Bug's Life that anthropomorphized insects, made them "cuter" and moved appreciation for them beyond the previously niche domain of entomophiles.

Or maybe it's because they can change form and mimic others, which is an extremely powerful ability which opens up all sorts of creative and imaginary possibilities.

Whatever the case, I know if I was a Changeling, I would want to look like just about anything else. ^_^

post-2150-0-70221400-1452308575_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Why do people like Changelings?

Maybe it's a side effect of movies like Antz and <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bug"href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bug" s_life"="">A Bug's Life that anthropomorphized insects, made them "cuter" and moved appreciation for them beyond the previously niche domain of entomophiles.

Or maybe it's because they can change form and mimic others, which is an extremely powerful ability which opens up all sorts of creative and imaginary possibilities.

Whatever the case, I know if I was a Changeling, I would want to look like just about anything else. ^_^

attachicon.gifChangelings-mlp_changeling_by_matty4z-d5mbm1c-420.png

Same goes for anything in fiction like vampires.

What vampires are supposed to look like.

scary-vampire.jpg

How they're being redesigned to fit the appeal of people's tastes.

the_beautiful_vampire_by_cufla.jpg

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...

I understand. Still... people are acting like these soulless, heartless monsters are the absolute epitome of adorability and relationship perfection in a manner not dissimilar to abuse victims romanticising how their partner treats them. It's strange.

I don't find them to be ugly, but that doesn't mean I find them to be appealing.

I simply don't care for them.

I have to admit, though, i'm not a fan of changeling OCs.

• Brohoof 1

I understand. Still... people are acting like these soulless, heartless monsters are the absolute epitome of adorability and relationship perfection in a manner not dissimilar to abuse victims romanticising how their partner treats them. It's strange.

We've seen changelings twice in the show. And we've only seen Chrysalis' swarm. Maybe it's just her changelings that are evil.

People like changelings because they're cool, and there's a lot of room for headcanons with us knowing nothing about them. 

• Brohoof 1

Well that assumes that they are all just monsters. We don't know that they are. Do they not have feelings? Do they not have needs? Can they eat other things or will they and their children starve to death if they don't feed one the love of others? Does feeding on love have to be involuntary? Is it always hurtful to the person they take it from, or was Chrysalis just draining Shining Armor dry without care for his health (likely)? If they found someone that really did love them as they were, wouldn't that be enough to keep them happy and healthy?

And I've never seen a relationship with one described as "perfection".

I have a changeling character. I'd tell you the context of his life in pony society, but I'm afraid of spoiling the story I have in the works.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Well that assumes that they are all just monsters. We don't know that they are. Do they not have feelings? Do they not have needs? Can they eat other things or will they and their children starve to death if they don't feed one the love of others? Does feeding on love have to be involuntary? Is it always hurtful to the person they take it from, or was Chrysalis just draining Shining Armor dry without care for his health (likely)? If they found someone that really did love them as they were, wouldn't that be enough to keep them happy and healthy?

And I've never seen a relationship with one described as "perfection".

I have a changeling character. I'd tell you the context of his life in pony society, but I'm afraid of spoiling the story I have in the works.

There was actually a friendly Changeling at the wedding in Slice Of Life.

And I think Larson confirmed he's an old friend of Cranky's.

Edited by A.V.

Well they weren't exactly meant to look cute and cuddly. They were meant to look scary and intimidating

That said I still find them cute and cuddly  :squee:

• Brohoof 3

There was actually a friendly Changeling at the wedding in Slice Of Life.

And I think an interview confirmed he's an old friend of Cranky's.

SEE? There are just some normal, nice changelings out there.

• Brohoof 1