Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Emi's Father's Day Adventure! (Closed)

Emi Pony

If any kind of Critical Hit or Dodge system is implemented, please make it skill-based, not luck-based. In Undertale, whenever you scored a crit with your weapon, it felt like you earned it a lot more than when you just happened to get one in Pokemon.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, hows the game progress going so far if you don't mind me asking? :)

It's going a bit slow at the moment, since for a short time I lost my creative spark!  :awuh: But it's coming back to me now, so I should be back on track in no time! 

If any kind of Critical Hit or Dodge system is implemented, please make it skill-based, not luck-based. In Undertale, whenever you scored a crit with your weapon, it felt like you earned it a lot more than when you just happened to get one in Pokemon.

I appreciate your input, but please understand that this is my first time attempting to design a game, so for now, I intend to make it as simple as possible until I can learn to do something more advanced.

If it isn't too late...I could make some music...

Of course! A music and sound effects designer would be perfect! I'll send some sound samples of some music and things to give you an idea of kinda what I'm looking for...Would that be alright?

It's going a bit slow at the moment, since for a short time I lost my creative spark!  :awuh: But it's coming back to me now, so I should be back on track in no time! 

I appreciate your input, but please understand that this is my first time attempting to design a game, so for now, I intend to make it as simple as possible until I can learn to do something more advanced.

Of course! A music and sound effects designer would be perfect! I'll send some sound samples of some music and things to give you an idea of kinda what I'm looking for...Would that be alright?

That would work, but I prefer written descriptions. 

Oh i almost forgot about this...sadly i can no longer be of any help as i am working on other projects. Sorry...but i see you might have a replacement so i hope its okay. I can still help out with questions and different code wise problems if need be but i can't devote to the project.

Hey, I understand. That's why I suggested an Undertale-style system, where it uses the simple kind of Golf Game-style "A line hingy moves along a path. Hit the button when it's closest to the center, which will stop it from moving and trigger a flag. The system will read the location of the line thingy, see how close it is to the center, and decide whether you get a Crit or not accordingly. It will also decide how much damage your attack does, and if the line slides off the path, your attack misses.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I understand. That's why I suggested an Undertale-style system, where it uses the simple kind of Golf Game-style "A line hingy moves along a path. Hit the button when it's closest to the center, which will stop it from moving and trigger a flag. The system will read the location of the line thingy, see how close it is to the center, and decide whether you get a Crit or not accordingly. It will also decide how much damage your attack does, and if the line slides off the path, your attack misses.

Thank you for the suggestion, but the battle system I'm picturing is more of a hit and punch the enemy til their HP bar gets low or hits zero. lol I know that probably doesn't sound like much, but I just wanna keep things as simple as possible for now. But again, thank you for your suggestion. I might consider it for future projects.    

Oh i almost forgot about this...sadly i can no longer be of any help as i am working on other projects. Sorry...but i see you might have a replacement so i hope its okay. I can still help out with questions and different code wise problems if need be but i can't devote to the project.

Aw man. =( Well, it'd be great if you could help out with things like coding and such..But at the same time, don't feel like you have to help with the project if you don't have the time. And if you don't, that's okay, I'll understand.  :kindness:

That would work, but I prefer written descriptions. 

Sorry, I would give you one, accept...I'm horrible at explaining through plain words. :adorkable: I explain things best when I use a combination of audio and visual aid.  :love:

Sorry, I would give you one, accept...I'm horrible at explaining through plain words.  I explain things best when I use a combination of audio and visual aid. 

It's ok. Problem is, sometimes when I hear something, I tend to go almost in that exact path...it's why written descriptions work better for me so that way I can start completely from scratch with no borrowed ideas.  

(edited)

It's ok. Problem is, sometimes when I hear something, I tend to go almost in that exact path...it's why written descriptions work better for me so that way I can start completely from scratch with no borrowed ideas.  

Well, I'm just gonna send you the music, to sort of...Give you the idea of the emotion I'm looking for. For example sad sounding music to set a sad scene, happy sounding music to set a happy scene ect. You can make your own music from there! Or maybe take the music examples that I show you and remix them a bit and somehow make it your own that way? I dunno. We'll figure it out!  :love:

Edited by Emi Pony

Well, I'm just gonna send you the music, to sort of...Give you the idea of the emotion I'm looking for. For example sad sounding music to set a sad scene, happy sounding music to set a happy scene ect. You can make your own music from there! Or maybe take the music examples that I show you and remix them a bit and somehow make it your own that way? I dunno. We'll figure it out!  :love:

Eh, I'm a guy who likes to start from scratch with his own ideas. Really, the best way to categorize your music is divide it into catgories:

1. Towns/Cities

2. Forest/Jungle

3. Battles: Regular

4. Bosses: Regular

5. Boss: Final

6. Cutscenes

Just about every cutscene has a unique theme. 

Eh, I'm a guy who likes to start from scratch with his own ideas. Really, the best way to categorize your music is divide it into catgories:

1. Towns/Cities

2. Forest/Jungle

3. Battles: Regular

4. Bosses: Regular

5. Boss: Final

6. Cutscenes

Just about every cutscene has a unique theme. 

I don't plan on the game being super long or anything...So I'm not sure what all the scenes will be until after I finish the video example for the game. But there will be a forest in the game...Most of the rest of the game is just traveling through town...And the very last scene will be held at a town square...But that will be at the very end of the game. And of course there will be a few cutscenes for sure as this game will be pretty story driven. And as far as something to fight goes...The diamond dogs will be the only thing to fight in the game, and they will only appear in the forest area as part of the game's storyline. After they're defeated, that's it no more enemies. lol As I said this is going to be a VERY short game. lol

I don't plan on the game being super long or anything...So I'm not sure what all the scenes will be until after I finish the video example for the game. But there will be a forest in the game...Most of the rest of the game is just traveling through town...And the very last scene will be held at a town square...But that will be at the very end of the game. And of course there will be a few cutscenes for sure as this game will be pretty story driven. And as far as something to fight goes...The diamond dogs will be the only thing to fight in the game, and they will only appear in the forest area as part of the game's storyline. After they're defeated, that's it no more enemies. lol As I said this is going to be a VERY short game. lol

Ok. So I can certainly make a town theme and a forest theme. I've got some really cool ambient sounds for forests. As I said before, I am going to have to record it on my phone since it's the quickest method I have so far. 

Ok. So I can certainly make a town theme and a forest theme. I've got some really cool ambient sounds for forests. As I said before, I am going to have to record it on my phone since it's the quickest method I have so far. 

Hm...Can you show me some examples of the music you've made so far? I would like to hear some of your music.

Hm...Can you show me some examples of the music you've made so far? I would like to hear some of your music.

https://pony.fm/tracks/21450-thundy-slide

https://pony.fm/tracks/21356-exhibition-rainbows-first-wonderbolt-flight

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm8k0rvzu8e5nbj/Sweet%20Days_Track1.aiff?dl=0

Here are some tracks I've made. One is produced with my software, and the other 2 are played live on my Korg Kronos

• Brohoof 1

Here are some tracks I've made. One is produced with my software, and the other 2 are played live on my Korg Kronos

Thanks! Did you only send 3 songs or 4? Because if there is a fourth one I can't see it.  :adorkable: Anyway! My favorites out of the 3 I did hear, was "Rainbow's First Wonderbolt Flight" and "Sweet Days." I'll post my examples of the type of music I'm looking for later, but from what I've heard so far of your music, it sounds like some of it would work perfect for some of the cutscenes I have planned for the game! :squee:   

This is really good. Turn down 4 what syncs up well with the intro of the first one, I accidentally noticed that. What did you use to make these?

This is really good. Turn down 4 what syncs up well with the intro of the first one, I accidentally noticed that. What did you use to make these?

One of them, I used Finale 2014.5 and the other two, I played live with my Korg Kronos, like the one pictured in my OC Theme Request Thread. 

• 5 weeks later...

Great news everypony! I'm starting on the script for the game today! Soooo many ideas are rushing through my head right now! Good thing I drunk a huge glass of coffee earlier! WOO HOO! :love: Lol! Anyway, I'm not sure the project will be able to get done by Father's Day like I had hoped, as I was having trouble figuring out what pony would trade what item to another pony, ect...But I'm feeling a bit more creative now! So, hopefully I can finally get the ball rolling! Wish me luck everypony!  :squee:  

Great news everypony! I'm starting on the script for the game today! Soooo many ideas are rushing through my head right now! Good thing I drunk a huge glass of coffee earlier! WOO HOO! :love: Lol! Anyway, I'm not sure the project will be able to get done by Father's Day like I had hoped, as I was having trouble figuring out what pony would trade what item to another pony, ect...But I'm feeling a bit more creative now! So, hopefully I can finally get the ball rolling! Wish me luck everypony!  :squee:  

Woooo OuO

Noice XD

Well, today's Father's Day...Have you been able to finish it? If not, hows the work going? :3

Woooo OuO

Noice XD

Well, today's Father's Day...Have you been able to finish it? If not, hows the work going? :3

Sadly no. Lol I guess it turned out to be more work than I thought it was going to be.  :adorkable: But! I AM going to finish this project! Even if it is late! I'm sure my Dad/father fig will like it anyway.  :squee: As far as work on it is concerned, I've made some progress with the beginning of the story. (I figured if I started on the story first, it would better help me decide what items the ponies are going to trade to each other.) A friend of mine also offered to help with this one art piece I need in the game...So, that's good...Oh! And I've found some awesome pony artists, who would be great for making the anime/manga art styled pony avatars I'm looking for! Anyway, that's the only update I have for right now... :rarity: Thank you for being so patient though!  :love:      

(edited)

Sadly no. Lol I guess it turned out to be more work than I thought it was going to be. :adorkable: But! I AM going to finish this project! Even if it is late! I'm sure my Dad/father fig will like it anyway. :squee: As far as work on it is concerned, I've made some progress with the beginning of the story. (I figured if I started on the story first, it would better help me decide what items the ponies are going to trade to each other.) A friend of mine also offered to help with this one art piece I need in the game...So, that's good...Oh! And I've found some awesome pony artists, who would be great for making the anime/manga art styled pony avatars I'm looking for! Anyway, that's the only update I have for right now... :rarity: Thank you for being so patient though! :love:

Its taking a very long time i see O.O

I really hope you'll be able to finish it and make an awesome little game <3

Um...i'd offer myself to help with it (i actually did but now i edited out...again :v) but i'm just not sure if i will be able to help you or not because i have a lot of things to do this summer and i don't wanna let you down. ;-;

Just if you ever need technical help you can always come and ask me and if you ever need a programmer you can also come and ask...but i might not be able to help if i'm busy. >.<

Edited by Ken
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its taking a very long time i see O.O

I really hope you'll be able to finish it and make an awesome little game <3

Um...i'd offer myself to help with it (i actually did but now i edited out...again :v) but i'm just not sure if i will be able to help you or not because i have a lot of things to do this summer and i don't wanna let you down. ;-;

Just if you ever need technical help you can always come and ask me and if you ever need a programmer you can also come and ask...but i might not be able to help if i'm busy. >.<

It is! Lol! And that's okay, I appreciate your honesty.  :squee:  Thank you for letting me know. =) And yeah, me too. Hopefully I can get most of it done before the end of July...If I'm lucky then maybe that means the game will be done by August! Er..I hope. Again, this is my first game, and I'm still trying to figure out how to organize everything and make it work. Also, I didn't even think about how all the programmers might have to be using the same type of programming system, in order to make the game...Guess that'll be something I'll have to consider as well...Hope everypony has the same or similar systems, so that anything they create for the game will all work together!  :-o  

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

You can use Rpg maker mv, that way you don't need the 'programmers' to program the buttons and such but instead, just use the 'events' in the software which is very basic, considering what you are trying to do. Also, you can make the game a 2D sidescroller or normal(pokemon style), or even if you're creative enough, something even more. And yes, you can play the game online too with the MV version.

It should take about a month if all goes smoothly.

Well, pretty sure I'm late to say this anyway

Edited by Virus Detected
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

You can use Rpg maker mv, that way you don't need the 'programmers' to program the buttons and such but instead, just use the 'events' in the software which is very basic, considering what you are trying to do. Also, you can make the game a 2D sidescroller or normal(pokemon style), or even if you're creative enough, something even more. And yes, you can play the game online too with the MV version.

It should take about a month if all goes smoothly.

Well, pretty sure I'm late to say this anyway

I've seen some Rpg maker tutorials on YouTube actually...But while it would probably take most people a month to complete a game on rpg maker, for me, it would probably take more like 3. While I realize I MIGHT be able to figure out Rpg maker myself, I would much rather someone other than me use the program, someone with a LOT more patients than me, who CAN get a game done within a month. Again, for me it'd take me 3 months. Maybe even longer. Lol Mainly because, if I came across a technical snag of some kind, I'd be pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to fix it, and probably wouldn't know how. Also...I'm just not a very patient person when it comes to dealing with technical things. What I AM doing for the game however, is: Writing the script and explaining the many different steps and phases in the game, designing the expressions of the characters that are in the game as well as the characters themselves, picking out the music for the game, and designing the look of the game's background. After that, all the game designers would have to do, is put it all together. Which I'm sure is going to be the hardest part, and if they can pull it off, make no mistake, I will give them the biggest thank you ever for all their hard work. Because I would know that the game wouldn't have been possible without them.

Anyway, I am glad you brought up the idea of an Rpg maker though! Thank you! I never even considered that! Now all the game designers/programmers would need is the same version of Rpg maker or something, and they could all work on/design the game! It's perfect! So again, thank you for making this suggestion!  :squee:  

Edited by Emi Pony

I've seen some Rpg maker tutorials on YouTube actually...But while it would probably take most people a month to complete a game on rpg maker, for me, it would probably take more like 3. While I realize I MIGHT be able to figure out Rpg maker myself, I would much rather someone other than me use the program, someone with a LOT more patients than me, who CAN get a game done within a month. Again, for me it'd take me 3 months. Maybe even longer. Lol Mainly because, if I came across a technical snag of some kind, I'd be pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to fix it, and probably wouldn't know how. Also...I'm just not a very patient person when it comes to dealing with technical things. What I AM doing for the game however, is: Writing the script and explaining the many different steps and phases in the game, designing the expressions of the characters that are in the game as well as the characters themselves, picking out the music for the game, and designing the look of the game's background. After that, all the game designers would have to do, is put it all together. Which I'm sure is going to be the hardest part, and if they can pull it off, make no mistake, I will give them the biggest thank you ever for all their hard work. Because I would know that the game wouldn't have been possible without them.

Anyway, I am glad you brought up the idea of an Rpg maker though! Thank you! I never even considered that! Now all the game designers/programmers would need is the same version of Rpg maker or something, and they could all work on/design the game! It's perfect! So again, thank you for making this suggestion!  :squee:  

Your welcome, good luck with your game, and hey, if you want, I can playtest it. Or help out a little that is, again, if you want. You can kinda say I got exp with this stuff

• Brohoof 1