Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rikifive

@@Compeador, Uuuh I feel extremely bad for this, but this project will no longer be developed in RM.  :(

@, YAY! :yay:  

Zy6cwS0.png

This is actually an update #18 (yes, the project thread appeared here pretty late ~ the previous updates were being posted in different place) and it is a final update.

Why?

The game will be moved to another game making engine (Game Maker),

so at this point the previous progress becomes pretty irrelevant.

I'll start everything from the beginning, from nothing.

But why it can't be continued in the engine, where the game currently is developed in?

I'm moving to Game Maker, because this engine will offer me more possibilities,

regarding coding and system in general.

For example, in RPG Maker VX Ace it would be quite difficult to make minigames,

as the software is quite limited and its performance isn't the best.

Besides, Game Maker offers more friendly scripting language, that will be easier to work with.

Despite the fact, that I was using RPG Maker, I've never actually used many of its assets.

I was removing most, if not all of the scripts and writing my own to make the game look better and more accurate to the source material.

That's why writing the game from scratch will be a better choice.

Plus, it will simply look more professional, than a game made in RPG Maker.

I'll do my best to make the game as fun to play as possible.  :fluttershy: 

Whenever I'll finish working on a feature or something, I'll be sure to update this thread with these.  :rarity: 

Now the first problem I have is...

What should be the resolution of the game?  :-P 

Making HD graphics and such is what I can't really do,

not mentioning, that it would take ages for me (pixel art takes so much time already)

so I think I'll stick to lower resolutions and pixel art.

While making HD~smooth Menu UI and HUD could work,

I wouldn't be able to draw and animate pony sprites nicely.

So that's why the game will be in pixelated style.  :P 

That's all for now!

If you have any questions, suggestions or want to help then don't hesitate to notify me!  :catface: 

Thank you for visiting! 

• Brohoof 3

@@Compeador, Uuuh I feel extremely bad for this, but this project will no longer be developed in RM.  :(

Fun fact: It doesn't matter whether we are using the same engine or not, codes share the idea, rewrite them in other language is easy.

and honestly, I can still helping you with the bug testing, I have my experience and some proficiency in dev. games, so, if you wish, i can still helping you in testing and hopefully i can give you some useful suggestions.

@@Overlord0909, To be honest with all of you ~ the biggest problem for me will be art (maps, pony/enemy sprites and other). Recreating locations and animating sprites will take me ages. But any help is appreciated ~ even giving simple suggestions and discussing existing/future features will help much.

To not search far, I'm wondering what kind of elements should the game involve ~ I was thinking of making the basic ones like fire, ice, lighting, wind, water etc. but it all should have a purpose...

The first enemies will be timberwolves, so they obviously will be weak against fire.

Later, among many other (probably custom) enemies, there'll be parasprites ~ they could be weak against wind (because they're tiny and in mid-air - RD's weather (wind) skills could slow them down by delaying their action bar as well as deal damage*) and to water skills (they're flying, so making them wet would slow them down as well as deal damage*)

* damage - the HP system isn't the basic 'kill' type ~ to deal damage you don't have to actually hurt anypony - to defeat an enemy you just have to make it unconscious. Same as ponies, they can't die. That kinda would be against the logic of our lovely show**. Instead of 'dying', ponies become unconscious when their HP is depleted. ... Kinda like Pokemon I guess?

**the logic of our lovely show - Have you watched Equestria Girls? /!\ SPOILER ALERT! >

Then at the end, when Sunset Shimmer got the power from the Twilight's Element, tell me what would happen if the Magic of Friendship would not work, when Sunset threw a fireball at them?  :ooh: Okay, maybe they wouldn't die ~ following the cartoon logic I'm pretty sure they would just end up being kinda fried up and unable to fight for at least a small period of time.

So there'll be something similar in game ~ no bleeding and that kind of stuff at all ~ even a huuuuge fireball will not kill anypony.

Anyway, back to the topic ~

Rarity would be weak against water, because making her wet distracts her, not mentioning, what would happen if she'd get dirty.  :please:

Yeah... something along these lines.

Simply discussing this will help me so much.  ^_^

Or even, helping design menu UI or HUD will also be a great help ~ you don't even have to be an artist ~ something like this:

CONCEPT

sig-4676814.Vaej1bN.png

IN-GAME

sig-4676814.post-38649-0-62526500-147295

would help ~ even if I would not like the concept, it still could give me inspiration, or I could mix between ideas ~ compare and come with something else.

I don't have any particular skills myself ~ just trying and trying, while doing my best.  :-P

@@Compeador, Oh yes, the coding looks really similar there. Ruby knowledge surely helps in Game Maker Language. ^^

Either way, sure! A fellow developer surely will be a great beta tester! ^_^ I've updated the credits list.

sig-4676814.cjkJlWZ.png

I've just noticed, that the little icon showing the development progress doesn't work.  :(

( i ) // Icon in question: sig-4676814.img-406-1-sig-4657732.sig-46

This icon was also meant to notify about updates and while everything works on other sites perfectly,

here, on MLP forums it just doesn't work.

( i ) // The recent icon, that should be displayed instead: sig-4676814.b7FXBLn.gif

I've also managed to discover why it doesn't work.

The whole image system on this forum is kind of clunky.

You're allowed to put only 5 (if I'm not mistaking) offsite images, which is a pain already.

- You need to upload all the images directly to post and deal with a pretty big list (Main page of this thread has more than 40 different images)

(it itself isn't a big issue though)

- Images doesn't show in the text editor, it is displayed in code form. You need to preview post to view the images.

- Images' align is pretty weird that way ~ it creates unnecessary empty space

- It's much harder to find things, if tons of images are displayed as a wall of code.

But all of this, on a side note ~ besides, I've managed to deal with it anyway, it just took me some time to setup things correctly.

So what happened to the icons?

At first, it all works.

I'm posting the icon and it remains as an offsite image, from where it is being updated.

Now when somepony takes that icon to their signature,

the forum software notices, that exactly the same image is posted in multiple places,

thus automatically steals the image and decides to host it on its own,

by replacing the link and turning it into an 'MLP forums uploaded image'.

I don't think I can avoid that feature, so I'll have to cancel the functionality of this icon from this site.

I'm really sorry about that.

I know it's lame, that I said it works and it's all shiny and stuff, but it actually doesn't.

I just didn't have idea, that this forum does that without even informing me.

What will happen to the icon then?

I've made a simple icon just for this forum.

The main page has been updated with that icon, you can remove the ones you have,

because sadly they won't work.

( i ) // A new simple icon without 'Development Progress' and 'Update Popup' features: sig-4676814.sig-4657732.R2OJWVe.png

Of course don't get me wrong, I'm not whining.  :rarity: 

I believe all of that was made due to security and/or performance reasons.

I just felt, that I owe you some explanation regarding this case.

We have to keep going, right?!  :)

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3

@@Overlord0909, Of course, I'm not forcing you to anything. Nopony is obliged to do anything for me. I'm just saying, that nopony needs to be great at something to be able to help. Even just supporting me (by visiting the thread and/or talking) helps me a lot, because it keeps me motivated. Any hoof counts! :3

• Brohoof 2

@@Artimis Whooves, Everything!  :catface:  I mean it just depends on how you'd like to help. The biggest problem I'll have will be drawing maps (Ponyville etc.) so that is the critical point, where help could extremely hasten the progress. Also music and sound effects could come in handy, but the music isn't a big issue at the moment I think as there are kind ponies, that offered their helpful hoof. Other than that - pretty much everything ~ like I said, even just some tiny ideas can help a lot ~ discussions will help me take right decisions and such. The fact itself, that you came here is helpful, because it keeps me motivated. :3
If there's anything particular you'd like to do, then feel free to notify me and/or discuss that.  :fluttershy:

MkFaoxd.png

The First Update in the New Environment!

As many of you know, I've moved the project to another game making engine and I can already tell, that I'm so happy that I did that.

It is really fun to work on it, unlike it was on the previous software.

Just look how silly it is! I'm so proud of it.  :lol:

Ftv2Gdz.gif

NOTE: THE PONY SPRITE IS JUST A PLACEHOLDER.
IT IS MADE BY URIMAS AND YOU CAN FIND THESE 
HERE.

It definitely needs polishing and further work, but it's all going pretty nicely already!  :love: 

Besides that map test, I've managed to setup the very basic configurations and variables (like input, pony stats etc.)

~ it's all pretty basic at the moment, but it'll be getting better with time!  :yay: 

Stuff is happening!  :yay:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

I've been following this and I'm sad you're having to restart from scratch. It looks better though!

I'm a writer so the only thing I can offer is to help with story, but considering the show episodes are like right there to draw inspiration from, there's nothing I can offer except moral support lol.

Also, mentions are broken for me so if you're gonna reply to me and want me to be notified, please do a quote :)

• Brohoof 1

I've been following this and I'm sad you're having to restart from scratch. It looks better though!

I'm a writer so the only thing I can offer is to help with story, but considering the show episodes are like right there to draw inspiration from, there's nothing I can offer except moral support lol.

Also, mentions are broken for me so if you're gonna reply to me and want me to be notified, please do a quote :)

Mhm ~ I'm kinda sad myself ~ so much work has been wasted after all. Though it's all for the better and I really believe it is worth that. :3

There's always place for some side quests filled with interesting story, so you never know!   :catface: Either way, moral support is more than I could ask for!  :wub:

I believe it is related to your notification settings. Perhaps you have disabled the option, that notifies you whenever you're mentioned. Have you checked these?  :rarity:

Thank you for visiting!  :wub:

Nah I get notified, just not sent to the right post. The staff have even tried to fix it with no success. I added a message to my signature, but some people browse on the mobile site and don't see signatures, so it's not always effective. You have such a unique one (I wonder how it's done?) which is a real shame.

I'm keeping an eye on this! :)

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 1

The biggest problem I'll have will be drawing maps (Ponyville etc.) so that is the critical point, where help could extremely hasten the progress.

For my own game, I actually wanted one of the levels to be Ponyville, so I had to figure out a layout that would fit with what we've seen on the show and that I could split up into five action stages for a 2-d platformer.  I've attached the layout that I came up with:

post-29126-0-18961900-1474849274_thumb.gif

The homes of the mane six are represented with their cutie marks, though I should say that I drew this before the Season 4 finale.  Also, I left Rainbow Dash's cloudominium out because it wasn't a part of the plot of the level I had in mind, but I think it'd be somewhere to the south.

I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, since my game is a platformer and yours is an RPG, but at least it's pretty consistent with what we've seen in the show.  Though the courthouse and the Hay 'n' Stay Hotel aren't from the show; they're shout-outs to Turnabout Storm, a youtube vid that's a crossover between MLP and Ace Attorney.

• Brohoof 1

@@HereComesTom, I have few maps like this and they all are different.  :P

Don't get me wrong though ~ I mean it's totally okay ~ I'm collecting these for references, so yours will come in handy as well!  :)

I'll be comparing them all and I'll kinda merge them into one most accurate layout.  :rarity:

As for the Turnabout Storm ~ oh it was sooo well made. Absolutely worth watching.  :wub: I might re-watch it someday.  :catface:

• Brohoof 1

You can't escape me that easily Riki!XD(psst, its deathsia from rpgmaker forums)

Who said I'm stalking you?! There's no stalking here!  :lie:

It's not creepy...

lol in all seriousness, I'll be tracking your game from here from now on. Looking forward to the finished product! ^_^

Edited by Fluttershyponygal
  • Brohoof 1

Aw you found me!  :awuh:

Just kidding! Hello there! I recognized you by your signature.  :catface:

Nice to see you there!  :)

Yay, thank you!  :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to offer my help on this because I love the idea of the game, but I unfortunately wouldn't have the time except on weekends and I lack the knowhow for it too.

So I'll be sitting here on the sidelines cheering you on and offering the only kind of support I can, emotional support.  :twi:

• Brohoof 1

@, I'm happy to hear that!  :catface:  ~ Yeah, I barely can find some time myself and that's bad.  :P

No worries though, emotional support is still more than I could ask for!  :wub:

Currently I'm struggling with pony sprites and uh.. It's not going very well. It'll take me ages to make tons of animated pony sprites, of course assuming, that I'll manage to make them at all.  :twi:

So the next update will not appear anytime soon I'm afraid, sorry.  :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1