Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Female as the dominant gender in FiM

Endpol

I don't mind that the show is female dominated. In fact now that I think about it I barely even notice it when I'm watching an episode.

Precisely. I don't mind either because it's not stereotypical, at all, which I think is one of the reasons. People call it girly, this that and the other thing, but when most watch it, they may not fall in love with it, but they acknowledge it's not bad. Like my mom, for example. Why? Because it wasn't what they were expecting. It's unique, great personalities, character development, so on. Gender dominance really doesn't matter when the show is built and organized well.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Sometimes I think it would be nice to see a tiny bit more males like Shining Armour but then I think that it would probably upset the gender balance that the show has had since the beginning and could make the episode end up as being very strange...

I would love to see a male Alicorn one day...

/sighs wistfully

I don't think gender really matters, but still I'd like to see one for the sake of further plot development ~

I think its refreshing to see a myriad of different female lead character personalities, rather than just the horrid stereotypes. There has been too little of this kind of stuff in media.

With there being mroe females in the sow than males? Meh. Dosen't bother me. It is a show originally targeted at young girls. Not really that important anyway. Besides, there are plenty of background colts.

Edited by Raptor_a22

To be honest it doesn't bother me, after all this show was targeted for younger audience. the first season or so there were hardly any stallions, but now I think the developers are starting to make the show more fitting for ur "bronies"

I'm a woman, and I LOVE seeing a female-dominated society on TV for a change, because it's excessively rare even on TV.  Awesomesauce. If it bothers anyone, then they can just return back to the real world where everything is how they think it should be.  

I also love that female characters actually have real personalities, have funny lines and aren't just boring, bland characters. There are a lot of shows on TV where the men get all the funny lines, and the men are the interesting characters, and the female characters on the show are just boring one-dimensional window art. (There are plenty of books like this, too.)

Edited by SydneyGrey

The show is a gender neutral show to begin with, so I dont see why it would matter in the first place, in all honestly.

However most of the main/side characters are in fact females, my only guess for this is the show was originally intended for little girls. So I suppose they would be having more relatable characters for them. Ex: Slumber parties, Makeovers, Dresses, etc.

The fact they could put that into esencially a gender neutral show, and make it enteraining is beyond me. Bravo Hasbro, bravo!

Edited by FlutterDerpy582

I dunno why but I like this female dominated cast thing. Having more male ponies reminds me of G3, for no apparent reason. I'm just stuck on that mindset for some reason.

Funny how I thought Applejack was a boy the first time I ever saw her. I would've liked her MUCH less, just because I just like her being a girl. It makes mah devotion more justified :wub:.

The thing is, the identification often settles on the most common one, turning it into a potential "genderneutral" impression.

I mean, for other shows, the "typical" is often male, but in MLP, the typical is instead femme.

Look at Transformers, they are all assumed male, to the extent of Arcee being noted as a distinct femme, but really, the transformers are robots, and could easily be genderless the lot of them.

In the case of MLP, the male fans tend to more or less "forget" that the most frequent is the earth mares.

To me, it's basic group psychology.

I enjoy it, though I would like to see a bit more balance.

Still though, you have no idea how refreshing it is to me as a female to see... so many female characters. As a child and still to today, I have this habit of latching onto the female characters onto shows as my favourites and the ones I can relate to. Many shows operate under The Smurfette Principle, which is basically summed up as: "every main character is a guy, let's throw in one or two girls so we can say we have them." And those one or two girls are usually developed as nothing more than sex/romantic objects, defined solely by their relationships with the male characters. And also designed for horny males to gawk at because there's often at least one who barely wears any clothing and has large breasts.

This defines pretty much many female characters in media, sadly. More than you realize.

As a female, having such few characters of my own gender to relate to, I often end up picking the only female in the cast as my related character solely because she's the only one there. Usually not well-developed as the guys.

Then we have a show where not only are females are the entire main cast, but they AREN'T at ALL defined by their relationships with males! They're defined by... gasp. Their friendships with each other. This is truly rare to see. Even in shows that focus on females, it's always about cute boys and some nonsense like that. It always goes back to the men.

I find this extremely refreshing, and whilst I would like to see the gender ratio increase SOMEWHAT, it is at least adequate in the background that males show up and reproduction isn't implausible as pointed out with Blue's statistics post.

Overall, I am satisfied with having a wide variety of characters I can choose to relate to.

• Brohoof 1

I have no care over the genders of the characters in the show. I like how the show has mostly female characters because too many good shows have leading male roles, while all of the other stories that have leading female roles usually display them with large breasts and sometimes unrealistic curvatures. And all of the ponies are cute, the mares and the fillies more so than the stallions and the colts. They may be a different species of animals, but they have characteristics pertaining to humans which make them look platonically attractive, but the female characters give off this vibe more than the male characters, while also giving off a more adorable-pet type of appearance, but that's my opinion. All of the ponies remind me of a cute pet that I'd own, such as a cat, the females giving off that vibe more than the males.

I enjoy the fact that females play the main role in this show, I think since i am a male, it appeals to me more than it would if it was males with the lead roles. It's nice to have females as the leads :)