Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How To Music?

Tech Reel

Hey, I'm interested in music :muffins:

Here's the problem though, I have no talent when it comes to instruments and no idea how to work these damn music programs.

What I think I need are people who are more musically inclined, though finding a willing participant has proven difficult. I've written a few songs before and I want them to come to life but I just don't know where to begin.

How do I get started? Is there a certain format or way I can find people who want to help? What do I do if I can't find people, can I get anywhere alone with no knowledge?

Well, my first piece of advice would to get an instrument and try learning how to play. That is where most musicians start, and is probably the best place to start. Don't worry about music programs. You don't become a musician over night. I've been playing music for years and I am just now starting to take my first steps into the industry.

Once you have an instrument, the best thing to do would be to get a music tutor, but that normally costs money. The next best thing is a little website called YouTube. People make video lessons that you can watch on YouTube. I used that method for a few years until I was able to get a real tutor.

I've been playing guitar for over 8 years and teach guitar lessons. I could always give you some advice or help out if you want.

You could also take the song writer approach. You can write lyrics and have musicians put them to music.

Other than that, the only other thing you could do is go digital, but you would still need a basic knowledge in music theory for that. Digital musicians also don't get as much respect among musicians.

Edited by El Duderino

Hey, I can tutor you in basic music theory to get you started, and also coach you in composition once you get the theory down. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Well, my first piece of advice would to get an instrument and try learning how to play. That is where most musicians start, and is probably the best place to start. Don't worry about music programs. You don't become a musician over night. I've been playing music for years and I am just now starting to take my first steps into the industry.

Once you have an instrument, the best thing to do would be to get a music tutor, but that normally costs money. The next best thing is a little website called YouTube. People make video lessons that you can watch on YouTube. I used that method for a few years until I was able to get a real tutor.

I've been playing guitar for over 8 years and teach guitar lessons. I could always give you some advice or help out if you want.

You could also take the song writer approach. You can write lyrics and have musicians put them to music.

Other than that, the only other thing you could do is go digital, but you would still need a basic knowledge in music theory for that. Digital musicians also don't get as much respect among musicians.

Hey guys, thanks for the respective offers of help!

I'm not sure how much of music theory I'll really need though. My interests aren't as much in playing instruments and making music as they are writing songs and singing them. My problem is how to approach finding willing people to make songs with. Guess I should have been more clear in my post. My bad. Maybe aspects of music theory would help though, I really don't know, I'm still a beginner with this whole music thing.

• Brohoof 1

@@Tech Reel,

Music theory is in fact the best place to start. Also, I suggest you start learning piano as well. With piano and music theory as starting points, not only would you learn the notes but you'll also learn the key concepts of how to create effective compositions and remixes.  

@@Tech Reel,

Music theory is in fact the best place to start. Also, I suggest you start learning piano as well. With piano and music theory as starting points, not only would you learn the notes but you'll also learn the key concepts of how to create effective compositions and remixes.  

"My interests aren't as much in playing instruments and making music as they are writing songs and singing them. My problem is how to approach finding willing people to make songs with." Tech Reel 2016

Like I said, composing and remixing isn't quite what I'm after. It's more writing and singing. What I need is a more effective way to find willing participants with musical knowledge, and perhaps maybe some work on lyric writing.

"My interests aren't as much in playing instruments and making music as they are writing songs and singing them. My problem is how to approach finding willing people to make songs with." Tech Reel 2016

Like I said, composing and remixing isn't quite what I'm after. It's more writing and singing. What I need is a more effective way to find willing participants with musical knowledge, and perhaps maybe some work on lyric writing.

Oh in that case, I can still be of help. 

@@Tech Reel, I would still recommend learning at least some real basic music theory. Even with singing, if you ever want to sing with other musicians, you still need to know things like keys, scales, and tempo. Just the real basic stuff. You could probably find a video on YouTube that covers all you need in a few minutes.

I am also still always available to help. I play guitar and write too.

Alright, I'll talk to you later then.

Heyo, sorry I never came back, got a little sidetracked. By the way, forgot to ask, where will we IM? Here in PM or on Skype chat?

@@Tech Reel, I would still recommend learning at least some real basic music theory. Even with singing, if you ever want to sing with other musicians, you still need to know things like keys, scales, and tempo. Just the real basic stuff. You could probably find a video on YouTube that covers all you need in a few minutes.

I am also still always available to help. I play guitar and write too.

Alright, I'll look into that :)

And ooh, guitar and writing? Awesome :D

• Brohoof 1

@@Tech Reel,

*reads topic*

*sees "Approaching people willing to help"*

*is vocally inclined*

*posts reply*

Hey, if you're looking for some kind of vocalist, I'm available 80% of the time. If I'm not, it's because I'm recording covers for other songs. A note of warning though, I do not use Skype- I'd recommend reaching me through the forum's instant messaging system.

- Night Visions