Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Too Much 1st-Person Nowadays

Castle Bleck

(edited)

Not talking about all of those indie games -- they get a pass due to being made by small teams (or even lone individuals) and/or on limited budgets.

I'm talking about the official market (i.e., the 9,000 or so Call-Of-Duty-types out there nowadays).

You'd think that all of these developers' imaginations would at least go beyond "playing as floating hands and/or objects" in this HD day and age.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I long for the day when we'll get to play as floating legs, to be honest. Oh, if only...

But no really, I think the problem is that maybe the AAA gaming scene is starting to get really really stagnant? Maybe not so much on the dev side as the executives insisting that games all stick to 'proven' formulas, never straying, and then that's why there's this problem.

And this coming from someone who LOVES almost every FPS they play.

And this coming from someone who LOVES almost every FPS they play.

Many of them actually are good, no mistake.

However, the formula itself is probably old enough to qualify for Social Security by now.

• Brohoof 3

Can't remember last time I played Call Of Duty...

Though, the First Person Experience in GTA V is kind of impressive. A game that used to be 3rd person only. It's different, in a certain way.  I mean. I've literally scared myself and my freinds with the random crap we've done in GTA Online, while in First Person...I.E. getting run over, flying off a motorcycle, parachuting, flying etcetera...I can't really name another First person game that you can ragdoll over a car hood, staring at the sky, then ground or whatever else, get up and wonder where the fuck you are and then walking up to a random pedestrian, flipping them the bird and then bludgeoning them to death with a crowbar,  before staring at the sky again as a freaked out commuter in his car runs your ass over.....again...and again. 

I mean, there's really, when you get to the basics, 4 game types, 1st person, 3rd person, side scroller and "table top" style(DoTa/LoL)..

1st person just offers the most immersive playstyle....imo.

• Brohoof 2

Eeyup.

in a world where you want to get away from violence and stuff, 85% of games at target are shooters. and the ones that arnt are WAAAAAY too kiddy.

talk about inbalance

There are some games out there that aren't 'too kiddy' or a first person shooter. One of my friends recommends, Prison Architect and Rocket League, both of which I haven't played yet. I hear that they are pretty good. My personal favourites are Portal 2, Don't Starve (and their expansion packs), Faster Than Light and Town of Salem.

But sadly, there aren't that many out there. I personally think that we need more of THESE type of games.

There are some games out there that aren't 'too kiddy' or a first person shooter. One of my friends recommends, Prison Architect and Rocket League, both of which I haven't played yet. I hear that they are pretty good. My personal favourites are Portal 2, Don't Starve (and their expansion packs), Faster Than Light and Town of Salem.

But sadly, there aren't that many out there. I personally think that we need more of THESE type of games.

yeah, i mainly meant that in an over exaggerated way. there are some perfect middles like FEZ and driver san fransisco but still, there is that part of the market where its like that.

You mean modern military shooters? Yep, there definitely are. Just about any annual franchise game sticks to its formula with minimal changes; CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Though, I don't think all FPS games are that samey. Games like Shadow Warrior 2, Doom 4 and SUPER HOT, for instance, are trying out new ideas, or adding new ideas on top of the old formula.

But on the topic of "too much of one genre", I think MOBAs fit that category pretty well too. :P

We see too much 1st person shooter games nowadays but most of them are very low quality with bad scenarios. I wish i could see games like BLACK which was released on PS2 once...

I like First Person Games, because they make you feel, like youre directly in the game.

I prefer Horror Games with a First Person Perspective. But i never played any war shooters.

So in my Opinion...they can make more. Specially Horror Games.

Eeyup.

in a world where you want to get away from violence and stuff, 85% of games at target are shooters. and the ones that arnt are WAAAAAY too kiddy.

talk about inbalance

Play more games and you'd find less imbalance. :D

On topic: I personally prefer third to first simply because I can usually look around me without having to lose focus of my surroundings. But first's formula doesn't need to change imo. It works fine as the backbone for other gameplay innovations. Games like Bioshock and Rage put things on top of standard FPS gameplay and it works because of that standardization.

The same thing happened to platformers fifteen years ago. If you find a game that's purely a platformer it's so fucking barebones it feels unfinished but even Nintendo, the progenitor of AAA platformers, mixes new things into them to keep them relevant. Platforming is also mixed into a lot of different games that aren't strictly platformers and it's typically considered just a basic function of video games, not the defining feature of a genre.

I also don't feel like indie games should get a pass just because they have a lower budget. They're following in the same steps as the big guys regardless of how much money is being put into a project.

I think First Person SHOOTERS are the problem, not the perspective itself. Games like COD and other shooters are oversaturated a lot these days, but I actually love first person perspective games. It helps add to the overall immersion. GTA V, as an example, to me feels so much more alive when played in first person. Then there are racing games like Forza 6 that I only can play in first person mode, as it really adds to the experience a lot for me. 

I think First Person SHOOTERS are the problem, not the perspective itself. Games like COD and other shooters are oversaturated a lot these days, but I actually love first person perspective games. It helps add to the overall immersion. GTA V, as an example, to me feels so much more alive when played in first person. Then there are racing games like Forza 6 that I only can play in first person mode, as it really adds to the experience a lot for me.

Personally I'd rather have precision over immersion. This is probably a personal thing but I'm way less precise in first person.

Games like Gone Home, Firewatch and The Long Dark are in first person perspective, and I feel that those game only benefit from it because it's more about the gamer being part of the story, and another perspective would ruin the illusion I think.  :huh:

• 5 years later...