Do you miss unicorn Twilight Sparkle?

Limeblossom

110 users have voted

1. 1. DO you miss her unicorn form?

• Absolutely! I want her back!
    • Yes, but she's also a good alicorn
    • Maybe
    • Nope, I like the alicorn just a bit more than the unicorn
    • *BLAM* HERESY!! Alicorn Twilight is holy!
    • Can I call the OP a coltcuddler?

7 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I agree.

I also believe that Twilight's wings made her even cuter than her Unicorn version. Which, is not something I thought could be possible. :twismile:

THIS! My princess has become even lovelier with her wings.

The basic question is a bit difficult to answer. It's like asking if you miss the teenager now that they became a wonderful and giving 25-30 year old adult.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I'm ok with her being alicorn but not that soon in the series, Jesus Christ... She could have gone at least 3 seasons more. Mostly because she didn't need to change so soon.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I do! I really did love unicorn Twilight. The was my third favorite in the mane six (That doesn't seem like much, but considering how much I love Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, the rest of the mane six are all fighting for third). She was adorable, cute, and quirky. Her episodes were just much better, and her role as Celestia's pupil was iconic.

Then the season three finale came and she became an alicorn. That's really what started my loss of interest in the show (The final blow being the horrid Equestria Girls). I was pretty upset because a lot of what made her so relatable was gone. Her episodes started to lack the quality they had before, and her new role was hardly utilized. Plus, her new alicorn body shape just looked wonky and not as visually appealing as before.

Looking back, I don't care as much. I still miss unicorn twilight and wish we still had her, it's not the end of the world. She can still be a fun character at times, and I realize that she kinda had to become an alicorn at some point. Still, season three was just too early. I think they should've waited till the season five finale at the very earliest, but oh well. Her becoming an alicorn didn't ruin the quality of the show (The school of friendship did). So overall, I miss her, but I'm fine with alicorn Twilight at this point.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ittoni said:

I'm ok with her being alicorn but not that soon in the series, Jesus Christ... She could have gone at least 3 seasons more. Mostly because she didn't need to change so soon.

I think this encapsulates my thoughts on the issue. She achieved what felt like could have been the finale of the whole series far too early. I feel like the show should have continued down the path of Twilight herself learning friendship lessons, although I do also appreciate the natural progression to helping others learn about friendship too. 

• Brohoof 3

Am I seeing a division of unicorn supporters that actually followed the series from the start, vs people that accept alicorn Twilight because they started watching the series after Season 3?

Or am I looking into things too much?

• Brohoof 2

On 8/28/2020 at 7:05 PM, Splashee® said:

Am I seeing a division of unicorn supporters that actually followed the series from the start, vs people that accept alicorn Twilight because they started watching the series after Season 3?

That's usually how it goes with this topic, yeah. Usually, the former are a bunch of Lauren Faust fanboys. 

19 hours ago, doomie-22 said:

That's usually how it goes with this topic, yeah. Usually, the former are a bunch of Lauren Faust fanboys. 

I am a Lauren Faust fanboy. I only accept Twilight as an unicorn.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, Splashee® said:

The tone of the show has shifted a little bit over time, and I suspect that a lot of newer fans are attracted by the fantasy adventure elements or by the more mature morals, both of which were less prevalent earlier on. Meanwhile I felt that a lot of the stuff the early seasons did well got worse over time and I didn't care enough about the fantasy adventure or mature morals to compensate. 

That said, I've come to terms with the wings; it's not their fault that Twilight spent three whole seasons as a boring nag, or that her coronation arc never made sense, or that the characterization became really inconsistent by the end. It would be cool to have wings. 

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

The tone of the show has shifted a little bit over time, and I suspect that a lot of newer fans are attracted by the fantasy adventure elements or by the more mature morals, both of which were less prevalent earlier on. Meanwhile I felt that a lot of the stuff the early seasons did well got worse over time and I didn't care enough about the fantasy adventure or mature morals to compensate. 

That said, I've come to terms with the wings; it's not their fault that Twilight spent three whole seasons as a boring nag, or that her coronation arc never made sense, or that the characterization became really inconsistent by the end. It would be cool to have wings. 

I don't know how much MLP really meant to people in the past, since I wasn't part of any community at that point, but I feel like people were too hyped about cute ponies and fantasy elements, and Lauren Faust, to actually bother questioning the quality of story telling. Many of the earlier episodes where very basic compared to what people think MLP did after season 4. So hearing people praising Alicorn Twilight and her characters always make me think of people that became interested in the show after she had already gotten her wings, and of course they watched season 1, but by then they were spoiled by cool events like Twilight versus Tirek, or Starlight time travel stuff and the cutie map. They even accept Equestria Girls by default.

It's different depending on when you got into the show.

23 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

I don't know how much MLP really meant to people in the past, since I wasn't part of any community at that point, but I feel like people were too hyped about cute ponies and fantasy elements, and Lauren Faust, to actually bother questioning the quality of story telling. Many of the earlier episodes where very basic compared to what people think MLP did after season 4.

Look I started watching at the end of season 2, so I wasn't there for the earliest hype, but to me those early seasons have a lot more depth than people give them credit for. Their stories may seem simple, but the characters are three-dimensional and relatable, and often showed unexpected sides of their personalities in one-off gags. And I would argue that, despite all of the worldbuilding and the more ambitious morals, the storytelling never became that much more complex than the early seasons. 

31 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

but by then they were spoiled by cool events like Twilight versus Tirek, or Starlight time travel stuff and the cutie map.

Even later on, I don't think that stuff is a big part of the series, but I do think that a lot of people who started watching later were attracted by those tidbits of fantasy action-adventure. It certainly seems like a lot of people who post on these forums want different things out of this show from me. To me the best episodes of the later seasons are the same as the best episodes of the early seasons - grounded stories about the ponies coming to terms with their insecurities. 

But I also wonder if people who got into it later might have been more accustomed to the idea of Twilight as an alicorn princess, so they didn't question it when they actually watch that episode. 

• Brohoof 2

Twilight was certainly more relatable as a nerdy skeptic and socially awkward librarian. But more importantly, the original idea was so much more real than "the princess of friendship". It doesn't matter if you are writing about a human being or a sentient piece of soap, as long as you do it with the necessary contrast of character traits, and consistent logic that makes fiction effective.

But the further the show went on, the more artificial and plain Twilight became as a character. She began losing traits and complexity, as opposed to gaining them, yet she was made to appear wiser, which is BS. No questioning of royalty, no deconstruction of the princess trope, or subversion of her ideal about Celestia, or the nature of cutie marks as a form of control, or the role of Starlight Glimmer, or even the position she was put in herself. Twilight went with it, like every poorly written character that does not question the writer.

Making her transformation involuntary and plastic, like one of those low quality toys from hasbro. It was a missed opportunity, because as opposed to some examples of media, in this aspect, the character never grew up with the audience. But instead devolved into this two-dimentional and un-attainable ideal, constantly at odds with what was left of her original self. As the tone shifted from interpersonal to plot-device driven. Yeah, the map.

A good writer allows the character to have a "free-will" and "decide for itself" while in later seasons characters often become victim of whatever the plot dictates. As the writers try to re-create rather than develop. Instead of building the plot around the character by putting themselves in the perspective of the character to come up with natural storytelling. They device a setting and then force the character into it. The result is having artificial characters in artificial situations that were justified by the map, despite having little to no contribution with their development. Save for a few exceptions.

Mind you, I'm still on season 8. But ever since the transformation, the castle, and then the school of friendship... my interest with the series began to dwindle incrementally.
So, either an executive decision or a change in the staff. The difference in tone became so glaring that I was unable to emotionally connect with the show anymore, and eventually lost interest.

Also, this is a show for children as well. So, at least try to create realistic expectations when you are meaning to deliver a message to represent and inform reality for impressionable minds, regardless of the genre you choose as creator. What happened with Twilight is almost the complete opposite of the message "The Best Night Ever" was meaning to convey.

But, after all. Not every writer has the magic. What do you call it? A soul? That is how later seasons feel to me. Soulless. Something that should have ended, yet was forced to go on despite having no life of its own.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 7

I admit I very much miss the unicorn Twilight, I'd even take the early alicorn Twilight. To me the whole series can be grouped into three categories of quality depending on season and the character interaction and behavior reflects that. Season 8-9 Twilight is a lot more "boring" to me than the earlier seasons.

• Brohoof 3

I don't really care lol though i'm glad she can fly now tbh and it's cool to see another alicorn. I mean she still has her horn. Though yeah later she becomes too royalty OP type character for me. 

Rarity can still do the unicorny stuff

It's weird when the equestria girls come over and that Twilight is a unicorn as well as the glasses oof

Edit: I had the weird idea that Rarity was instead made a princess. Then she could wear um fancy clothes and mix with the royals.. idk lool I mean realistically not but out of the others she is at least a unicorn.

G3 rarity was a princess for a short time too but a completely different character I guess lol. I just had that idea.

Edited by flurry

1 hour ago, They call me Loyalty said:

-snip-

Yeah she did lose personality for sure

Design wise I liked the wings and even some of the princess elements. But the personality, setting and all felt forced for sure. It almost felt like the real twilight was gone or something

I wouldn't have cared If the series hadn't revolved around it for the rest of the seasons, but I got bored with this whole "I'mma princess" thing after a few seasons. So I kinda miss neard and a bit introverted Twi

• Brohoof 3

I thought I connected more with Alicorn Twilight in Forgotten Friendship, since she really felt like a character in that one, like she used in her good old days (season 1). She was also extremely tall for some odd reason :confused:

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

Adding wings to Twilight was the worst that could happen to the show! spla_twilfly.gif

I would say one of the worst. That school of friendship was absolutely terrible. In fact, I think it's even worse than Twilicorn.

• Brohoof 3

On 9/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, Landi72 said:

I would say one of the worst. That school of friendship was absolutely terrible. In fact, I think it's even worse than Twilicorn.

yeah it is one of the worst. Just not a real thing for school and also a school that won't help you in life besides making friends all day and you know less of history or math. Like l haven't seen any teacher teaching math or reading. I only saw history a few times and science in that pony school.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Osoka_Topez said:

yeah it is one of the worst. Just not a real thing for school and also a school that won't help you in life besides making friends all day and you know less of history or math. Like l haven't seen any teacher teaching math or reading. I only saw history a few times and science in that pony school.

Imagine going from being unicorn to becoming alicorn, to then become a principle for a school. I know the school of friendship was a bad thing for the show, but the pillars were bad, and the student six were bad. Too much bad makes good! spla_twilfly.gif

On 9/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Splashee® said:

Imagine going from being unicorn to becoming alicorn, to then become a principle for a school. I know the school of friendship was a bad thing for the show, but the pillars were bad, and the student six were bad. Too much bad makes good! spla_twilfly.gif

yep yep

• 11 months later...