What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I currently am only fluent in my native language of English. Impressive right?  :mellow:

I tried learning Spanish in highschool, but that was a train wreak, really crappy teacher that was more interested in teaching life lessons than the Spanish language. So I guess I'm partially fluent in Spanish, I have most of it down, just can't wrap my head around those darn verbs, which in my opinion are much harder to learn than English verbs.  

I'm also going to try learning German while I'm at college. Should be interesting.  

Edited by Dark Moon
  • Brohoof 1

Besides English, I am partially fluent in German. I took 3 and a half years of it between high school and college, and have been complemented by a native speaker or two. 

• Brohoof 1

PERFECT THREAD FOR A LINGUIPHILE!!! I am trying to learn spanish, french, and japanese. Japanese is a majority for learning all the kanji and grammar for me. Spanish, I know most of the grammar so all that i need to know are all the words. As for french, I haven't learned it in a long time, but still know it's grammar. I should focus on spanish because I come from a family of colombianos y mis abuelos lo hablan. At times I confuse words from otras gengo and use them en mi eigo. Oh dios mio, its happening again. TASKETE KURE!!!!!!

• Brohoof 1

Me gusta ingles. 

Yeah, that's basically it. I like English a lot, though I know a meager amount of Spanish. Practically just enough to pass the test.

I also know a few Japanese words, because I was not born in 'Merica.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fluent in English and that's about it. It helps me with writing and poetry though as I go deeper into the language but yeah that's really the one language I am fluent in.

I'm learning some Swedish and German though. I plan to self-teach myself to at least become exceptionally decent at speaking the languages.

Swedish is my second best and as for German, I hardly know crap. lol

Jag heter du Sanderspie och jag alskar dig svenska sa mycket! 

So yeah, my Swedish has been improving.  :)  Will definitely be useful once I visit Sweden one day. I at least hope that can happen. That would be epic!  And all dem Swedish chicks, yes! haha 

Who knows.  ^_^

Edited by Sanderspie
  • Brohoof 1

Perfect french and good english, because I live in Quebec.

Many people (on the internet) are jealous about me being able to talk french perfectly, but I guess it's a pretty useless language, unless if you travel in french contries.

• Brohoof 1

Perfect french and good english, because I live in Quebec.

Many people (on the internet) are jealous about me being able to talk french perfectly, but I guess it's a pretty useless language, unless if you travel in french contries.

Well, it's still the official language of the olympic games and one of the most important languages in ONU and European Union.  I'm from Quebec also :)

• Brohoof 1

I speak English, Spanish and German, but am only fluent in English. It's only the language I've spoken for most of my life.

Don't get me started on Spanish, I can barely speak that language.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fluent in only English, but I can understand Indonesian fully. I can speak basic Indonesian as well 

Saya lebih mantep di dalam Bahasa Inggris. Tetapi, saya bisa mengerti Bahasa Indonesia.

• Brohoof 1

I'm portuguese, so that's the language I can speak better, then it's English. I've spent a few years in school trying to learn French, but never managed it, firstly because I found it hard to learn, a secondly because I was never really interested in it. Though, I speak Spanish, though sometimes, when talking to a Spaniard whenever I go to the other side of the border my brain may go retarded and so I'll have to speak a bit of Portunhol.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, languages are awesome! I'm American, and I know English, American, Boston, Pig Latin, Tzhaar, DragonTongue, Jibberish, Jive, a bit of Spanish, Binary Code, Roman Numerals, and a bunch of other unimpressive stuff. :P

• Brohoof 1

Dutch because well, i'm from holland.

English because it is a very usefull language.

A very small amount of German.

An even smaller amount of French.

And maybe 10 words in spanish.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fluent in 3 languages, which are Finnish, Swedish and English.

I can converse decently fluent in German during regular everyday conversations. Lets not talk about advanced business German.

Have attempted to learn Russian for three years, but I have regretably not managed to progress beyond elementary level knowledge.

• Brohoof 2

I am fluent in German, it is a subject in my school. Don't believe me?, here is some random passage in German.

In German;

Mein Führer, der Roten Armee haben jetzt durch den Seelow Heights und sind jetzt auf dem Weg nach Berlin. Mein Führer, sie sind uns zehn zu eins, der Krieg ist verloren. Hingabe ist unsere einzige Option.

In English;

My Führer, the Red Army have now pushed through the Seelow heights and are now making their way to Berlin. My Führer, they outnumber us ten to one, the war is lost. Surrender is our only option.

• Brohoof 1

im totally fluent in English, i used to be fluent in a dialect of german, commonly known as Lo-German. my mothers side of my family all speak it so its cool now just to talk to them in different language than english

• Brohoof 1

I have always wanted to learn how to speak French and Japanese. I'm way too lazy to start now, but hopefully someday soon I'll learn.

I used to know some basic Spanish, but that's all pretty much gone now. I'd really like to learn German, though, because I have a bit of German in my blood... and because if I wanted to ask someone to pet my cat in German, I could say:

WOLLEN SIE ZU STREICHELN MEINE KATZE?!

(Or something like that, I don't really trust Google Translate.)

Anyways, it just seems like a fun language to speak.  :catface:

I know English and Bahasa Indonesia, but I really do wish I learned French or German. Those two languages are awesome. And then there's Chinese... Because I'm Chinese and because it's fast becoming a very common language.

I only know English but I would love to learn French, Japanese, or even German. Learning a language is honestly kind of hard for me, since I keep forgetting everything.

I can only speak English, but I've always wanted to learn to fluently speak Chinese or Japanese. I was actually learning Chinese for a while, I was fairly decent at it, but I have since forgotten everything. 

Edited by AyoMistadurrk

I think my English is quite alright by now (the writing part at least), but I guess there is always room for improvement. I'm kinda interested in laearning Spanish, because language by itself seems interesting to me ( I have not really an idea why :I). The only problem for me to acquire a new language is, that I'm just too lazy to learn it... not to mention that I'm busy with school anyway. But otherwise Im always receptive for new, so maybe I'll learn another language one day. :)

I pretty much have to learn Spanish. Over half of my family speaks the language, so there's my reason. mlp-pquestion.png

I would also love to learn French somewhere down the line. 'Cause why not?