Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I want to learn German and Ukrainian or Russian.

No special reasons behind either tho, they would just be fun to know.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat
  • Brohoof 1

I really thought about learning Korean lately but not completely sure if I want to, since I'm not sure if I want to start on Hangul and the difficult letters.

I speak English, but I took 2 years of German in high school. I know that isn't much, but I remember about 85% of the material. So, I can speak German ^^

• Brohoof 1

I speak French, but it's not a foreign language to me, since it's actually my first language!

Me too. ^_^

Aside from French and English, I'd like to know how to speak Spanish... since brazilian are invading the online gaming world. It would be the most useful language for me to learn.

german

German

German,

I took 2 years of German in high school

Bitte hilf mir. Ich habe niemals Deutsch gelernt, aber kann ich ein bisschen verstehen. To those of you who have taken German, how easy is it to learn? I've picked up a small vocabulary from music, it is easy because it is close enough to English, but what is grammar and such like? I like to think that I understand a little and can make myself understood, but help is always welcome (ich bin ein Dummkopf).

It depends on the teacher, because they may teach you different things. However, I personally caught on pretty easily. I think it just depends on what kind of learner you are

I learned Japanese easily enough (even if I forgot a good chunk to lack of use), and some German from music, aber bin ich dumm...   :lol:

To be honest, my German teacher kind of sucked-- we went at such a slow pace and I barely remember anything.  It sounds like you have picked up a good deal for being a Dummkopf though.   

Anyhow, German is sort of a high-middling language for English speakers to learn-- harder than French certainly, but not nearly as hard as Japanese.  Probably the most difficult aspect for me is keeping the noun cases straight.

Thanks. Three years of German music and I know less than my friend who took one semester of German (plus I learned largely from Rammstein, so my vocabulary isn't exactly... conversational). I know basic verb conjugation and word order, but noun cases and when articles need to be used are still a challenge (the finer points of the language). Edited by Frith is Magick

Bitte hilf mir. Ich habe niemals Deutsch gelernt, aber kann ich ein bisschen verstehen. To those of you who have taken German, how easy is it to learn? I've picked up a small vocabulary from music, it is easy because it is close enough to English, but what is grammar and such like? I like to think that I understand a little and can make myself understood, but help is always welcome (ich bin ein Dummkopf).

It depends on the teacher, because they may teach you different things.

However, I personally caught on pretty easily. I think it just depends on what kind of learner you are :)

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to learn German and Japanese, because I think they sound interesting. I also took three years of Spanish in high school, so I'd like to learn more about that.

• Brohoof 1

Well at high school I learn English of course :P but we also had to choose to learn either French or German, you just have to take one of them. I chose the first one because I'm really really bad at German ^^

Not that I'm not bad at French that is XD

Edited by Wayzer

I learned Japanese easily enough (even if I forgot a good chunk to lack of use), and some German from music, aber bin ich dumm...   :lol:

To be honest, my German teacher kind of sucked-- we went at such a slow pace and I barely remember anything.  It sounds like you have picked up a good deal for being a Dummkopf though.

Anyhow, German is sort of a high-middling language for English speakers to learn-- harder than French certainly, but not nearly as hard as Japanese.  Probably the most difficult aspect for me is keeping the noun cases straight.

• Brohoof 1

I speak English (more or less) and French, and I think it's enough. :)

I can speak a bit of French :D 

Salut, mon nom est ghostfacekiller39! Rarity est mon Waifu! :D

Of course, I have a lot of trouble *saying* it. It's a fascinating language that I've been meaning to learn for quite some time now :D

Just lemme say, learning a second language is hard :(

Especially French, when I learned English I found it was way easier than French.

By the way, you should say "ma Waifu" not "mon Waifu", Rarity is female. :)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

Especially French, when I learned English I found it was way more easy than French.

:lol:

I'm not especially skilled at the language yet :D

• Brohoof 1

I know no other language aside from English, however I really want to learn Japanese. Trying to do so currently, just started not too long ago in fact, though I imagine it would be quite difficult, especially since I'm learning completely on my own, with the help of some online guides and such of course. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Well, not really, I developted my English since childhood. I only have to improve my speech on it, but for that, I rather live in the in a country with it as a native languaje

Well, English is a foreign language for me. xD Although I'm so good at it I should improve some other language instead, like Swedish (which is also the second official language in Finland but I'm not that good in it).

I would LOVE to learn Japanese, Italian and Russian. ...Also Spanish (I totally want to see what my family says when they switch to Spanish)

GERMAN TOO!

Edited by Scootadress

I used to know a lot of German, now not so much.I would also like to Learn Russian and maybe some other languages.

YES! :D

German, Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, and Swedish. 

I'd love to know, like 10 languages when I die, but I doubt I'll ever know that many. So if I had to pick 3, German, Japanese, and Russian are the big ones I'd like to learn. 

• Brohoof 1

Especially French, when I learned English I found it was way easier than French.

The gender of a word doesn't necessarily relate to the gender it describes.  And actually, I thought the rule of thumb in French is that foreign loanwords get the male gender, so "mon" would be appropriate.

I'm learning French in school only because it's required to graduate  :comeatus:  I don't like learning foreign languages. Everyone should just learn English  :derp:

No, everyone should just learn Lojban. :P

The gender of a word doesn't necessarily relate to the gender it describes.  And actually, I thought the rule of thumb in French is that foreign loanwords get the male gender, so "mon" would be appropriate.

Ha, I don't know :lol: to me "ma" sounds more appropriate. I can't explain why, but saying "mon Waifu" sounds like the character is male.

I can be wrong, I didn't know the word Waifu before I joined the MLP forums. So I've never seen this sentence in French before. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

> Implying this is not a somewhat international site. Or not. ^_^

I speak English apart from German. That's all.

I can also say "motherf*cker" without accent in German.

I actually never heard or heard of anyone saying this in German, but the English phrase is quite popular among some people here.

> Implying this is not a somewhat international site. Or not. ^_^

I speak English apart from German. That's all.

I actually never heard or heard of anyone saying this in German, but the English phrase is quite popular among some people here.

Germans must be nice people then, angry-sounding language aside x)