Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I'm native Polish speaker, I also know English.

I had German lessons at school, but I didn't have good German teachers and I don't like this language, so I almost don't know it.

Actually I want to learn Russian, but honestly I don't know how to start on it.

I know some Spanish after taking it for 3 years in high school.  But tbh, since I had a different teacher each year, the 2nd and 3rd years repeated alot of what was in my first year of Spanish...

I'd like to learn many other languages, but a few that come to mind are Swedish, Romanian, and German... Idk why though, lol.  Though I doubt I'll ever be able to...

I speak English and know a little bit of spanish and german.  Don't try to start a topic with me in those languages though as I will embarrass myself!!!  I'd really like to get better at those two because I keep finding myself in situations where that would be useful.  BTW I'm pretty sure I can speak chicken too.

English is my first language, and I can speak a bit of German. Now, I'd like to learn Japanese, and I've even set a goal to learn the language by 2020.

• 1 month later...

Swedish is my first language, so I am a pro at Swedish  :smug: I also speak english, a little bit of german, and I kinda understand Norwegian, but I can't speak that language. I would like to learn Italian, Japanese, Russian, Danish, and more german  :)

• Brohoof 2

I only really know English, German and Spanish right now, but what I want to get back into learning is Cherokee, Russian, Gaelic, Hebrew and Mayan. Mayan and Cherokee especially since I find Mayan to be very interesting and Cherokee because I had a great grandmother who was full blood Cherokee.

Edited by BloodoftheMoon

I want to learn German and Japanese.  German, because I was born in Germany, and Japanese because I love anime, but hate reading along to the show.  I always feel like I'm concentrating so hard on the words, that I'm missing the art of the show.

I want to learn German and Japanese.  German, because I was born in Germany, and Japanese because I love anime, but hate reading along to the show.  I always feel like I'm concentrating so hard on the words, that I'm missing the art of the show.

Question, surely your parents speak it right? I would get in contact with them and see if you can practice it more :)

Or, if that's not an option, do you have German citizenship? What about spending a summer in the country and try speaking as much German as you can while you're there? 

I wouldn't know how to help you with Japanese, all I know is that a lot of words are borrowed from English so more than likely, if you learn the hiragana/katakana characters, you should be able to understand at least half of what you hear, or it should look similar reading it in rômaji. :P

But if it really interests you a lot why not sit down with a chart open and read something in Japanese? It's much easier to follow if you read something than watch it because you aren't using both visual and auditory cues at the same time which I imagine can be difficult with a language like Japanese. But I've also heard the grammar is fairly easy so that might be your lucky break there.

Question, surely your parents speak it right? I would get in contact with them and see if you can practice it more :)

No, I'm a natural born American citizen, but I was born on an Air Force base in Germany.  So while I am a citizen of the US, technically I'm from Germany, lol.

The reason I've never learned either of them is that I've never been good at learning other languages.  I've tried with French, and it was an abysmal failure XD

No, I'm a natural born American citizen, but I was born on an Air Force base in Germany.  So while I am a citizen of the US, technically I'm from Germany, lol.

The reason I've never learned either of them is that I've never been good at learning other languages.  I've tried with French, and it was an abysmal failure XD

Do you mind telling me how you tried with French? If you learned it in school, well, yeah. School language isn't designed to yield anything more than good grades to make the teacher (and the school) look good. That's why in 99% of circumstances you spend the entire class talking In English 

• Brohoof 1

id like to learn more french however, in new brunswick canada it differs from which part your from. For example if you learn french from montreal speaking it in pei, ontaro or vancouver might sound like alien to french people from there. I know even french sign language is different, the american and canadian styles are extremely different. So it would be a hard language to learn in my area since were right next to quebec but also the acadians have different slangs then what you would learn in say a school or a book. 

• 4 weeks later...

Do you mind telling me how you tried with French? If you learned it in school, well, yeah. School language isn't designed to yield anything more than good grades to make the teacher (and the school) look good. That's why in 99% of circumstances you spend the entire class talking In English

How wonderful. It's always great to see a fellow language learner on here :) I only know English and advanced Spanish so far, but I definitely agree with you on the basis that the best way to start is to "just do it." Throw yourself at the kanji/hiragana. Throw yourself at the subjunctives of Spanish or French. Just get started right away and you'll be amazed at how much you will learn :)

Y para los hispanohablantes que quieren aprender un idioma nuevo, ¡es muy fácil! La gramática no te importa sino la comunicación es lo que más te debe importar. No tengan miedo de cometer muchos errores. Es natural. Sólo háganlo y van a aprender muchísimo ;)

• Brohoof 1