Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you speak / would you like to speak?

DasCapschen

136 users have voted

1. 1. What language do you speak?

• German
    • English
    • French
    • Spanish
    • Russian
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Norwegian
    • Dutch
    • Danish
    • Italian
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Ukrainian
    • Belarussian
    • Czech
    • Polish
    • Greek
  2. 2. What languages would you like to speak?

• German
    • English
    • French
    • Spanish
    • Russian
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Norwegian
    • Dutch
    • Danish
    • Italian
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Ukrainian
    • Belarussian
    • Czech
    • Polish
    • Greek

I'm only fluent in English, however I'm good at Norwegian, decent at Swedish (pronunciation is a bit iffy, but I can read/write/understand with no problem), and can have a conversation in German and French. I also know a few odd words in Finnish and Arabic, but sort of at the "asking a local for directions" level, not noteworthy. I would love to improve my Finnish since I love the language, but it's so difficult that every time I try to start again I just get instantly demotivated to continue.

Spanish and english. No, I'm not interested about learning other languages. I had a friend who was pretty invested into learning as many languages as possible, but I believe he was trying to compete for the attention and approval of his parents, as they were many brothers and sisters.

Only English right now, though I have taken a couple of Spanish classes in grade school. I'd probably like to learn Spanish or French since those languages are useful in the North American region. I don't know if it's ever too late to start learning any though.

Edited by Pony Flutters

The languages I speak aren't even on the poll! Guess that's the problem about being Asian.

Which languages I speak, huh? Hindi, English and Marathi. Marathi is my mother tongue, English was taught in school and Hindi, well I picked up the language from classmates, friends and neighbours.

About learning, I'll be learning Sanskrit from class 8. We have an option to study either Hindi or Sanskrit, and I'm opting for the latter. It is a little complex, but also very scoring, if I study well enough. 

Edited by Rainbowshine295
Minor grammar correction

• 2 months later...

Only English. I took French classes for about three years, but truthfully, I don't really remember that much from it.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

German is my native language, but I also speak english. I love to learn more about english and I always hope to improve. I'm confident I don't have a hardcore german accent anymore, it's far less than it used to be. Though, it's mostly writing for me, since I don't have anyone to talk to. :fluttershy:

9 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Zur Zeit, ich lerne Deutsch. Lerne ich gut? Nein. 

I definitely understand everything you say. :)

"Zur Zeit lerne ich Deutsch." I would just swap those two words. <3

1 hour ago, Sven Seelenherz said:

German is my native language, but I also speak english. I love to learn more about english and I always hope to improve. I'm confident I don't have a hardcore german accent anymore, it's far less than it used to be. Though, it's mostly writing for me, since I don't have anyone to talk to. :fluttershy:

I definitely understand everything you say. :)

"Zur Zeit lerne ich Deutsch." I would just swap those two words. <3

Huh. Is there something I missed? 

• Brohoof 1

I actually noticed more, @Kyoshi. You said:

12 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Zur Zeit, ich lerne Deutsch.

But the correct way to write the sentence would be: "Zurzeit lerne ich Deutsch."

I changed the structure, only swapped two words. And I also changed "Zur Zeit" to "zurzeit".

"Zur Zeit" is used when you refer to a specific time, like when you talk about history. "Zur Zeit des römischen Reiches." = "At the time of the Roman Empire."

And "zurzeit" means "currently".

Sometimes you have to be careful, because the german spelling changed over 2 decades ago. And before that time, "zur Zeit" would have been the correct use. When I play some old games, they still used the old german spelling. Most notably the word "daß", it changed to "dass". :)

49 minutes ago, Sven Seelenherz said:

I actually noticed more, @Kyoshi. You said:

But the correct way to write the sentence would be: "Zurzeit lerne ich Deutsch."

I changed the structure, only swapped two words. And I also changed "Zur Zeit" to "zurzeit".

"Zur Zeit" is used when you refer to a specific time, like when you talk about history. "Zur Zeit des römischen Reiches." = "At the time of the Roman Empire."

And "zurzeit" means "currently".

Sometimes you have to be careful, because the german spelling changed over 2 decades ago. And before that time, "zur Zeit" would have been the correct use. When I play some old games, they still used the old german spelling. Most notably the word "daß", it changed to "dass". :)

Ah. I was moreso referring to why the sentence structure is that way, as it is not in question form. Still, useful information, especially for someone as stupid as me. 

4 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Ah. I was moreso referring to why the sentence structure is that way, as it is not in question form. Still, useful information, especially for someone as stupid as me. 

I see. :twismile: I wish I could explain why. It just feels naturally to me, but I would never tell you something when I'm not 100% certain about it. :) I feel the same way about english. The more time I spend with it, the more natural it feels to me, but I could never explain why the structure is the way it is.

I took French but I really should've taken Spanish since that's way more common where I live. Oh well, I heard the Spanish classes I would've taken were brutal.

I know at some point I need to learn Spanish just to help me in life but as far as interests go, I'd like to know more French and Swedish (I don't expect to make full on Swedish sentences or anything but it would be interesting to at least know a few phrases).

• 1 year later...