Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most common languages that us members speak

Dsanders

Native Languages   

116 users have voted

1. 1. What is your native language (the language that you were born with)?

• English
    • Spanish
    • German
    • French
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Portuguese
    • Mandarin Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Greek
    • Hebrew
    • Italian
    • Russian
    • Polish
    • Danish
    • Icelandic
    • Welsh
    • Norwegian

There are many threads around here in which we can embrace our ethnic backgrounds, culture, and show love (or indifference) towards the countries in which we live. There are also quite a number of threads dedicated to sharing our love of languages, or appreciation for our own.

This idea came to my mind just an hour ago. I think it would be amazing if we can determine (via poll) the approximate amount of foreign members on this forum and some of the most common languages that they speak natively.

As for what we can post on here, just simply share what language you speak natively and why you love it :) You can also post about why you don't like it. Give both pros and cons if you want :P

• Brohoof 4

English, because it's mine.

Your post really opened my eyes to beauty of our language. Now I appreciate it more than ever before :o

P.S. I'll add more languages if yours is not up there. Just let me know ;)

• Brohoof 2

I like languages ! They are huge asset if you can speak many of them! It's also super neat! 

My native language is Finnish and I don't think it's a beautiful language, because there are no intonation in words all can be said in same tone. Tone doesn't affect the word much at all. I love the tones in languages it just makes them beautiful. I think my language is kinda clumsy and awkward.

I like English and German and all other languages except my own. They just sound beautiful and I want learn them.

• Brohoof 2

I like languages ! They are huge asset if you can speak many of them! It's also super neat! 

My native language is Finnish and I don't think it's a beautiful language, because there are no intonation in words all can be said in same tone. Tone doesn't affect the word much at all. I love the tones in languages it just makes them beautiful. I think my language is kinda clumsy and awkward.

From what I have seen, Finnish has some of the longest words and it's sentences seem more like paragraphs :P Oh and I am also Finnish by ethnic background :3

Icelandic but it isn't an option so no vote. I don't love it or hate it, just language.

Done ;)

And it's really cool to see natives of some of the lesser spoken languages :squee: Even though I don't know anything about your language, I love the unique characters that you use in writing.

• Brohoof 2

Thinking about picking up Klingon. Would definitely win the "most useless skill award" among my friends.

I actually know quite a bit of Klingon! It's fun.

Also, my native language isn't on here. I just put Polish, because that was the other language I grew up on as a kid. My native is Welsh. I also am also learning French, Japanese, and Portuguese, and next will being doing Finnish and Spanish! And eventually Korean.

Edited by Witch
  • Brohoof 2

I actually know quite a bit of Klingon! It's fun.

Also, my native language isn't on here. I just put Polish, because that was the other language I grew up on as a kid. My native is Welsh. I also am also learning French, Japanese, and Portuguese, and next will being doing Finnish and Spanish! And eventually Korean.

Done :D And Welsh eh? Wow, I'm already beginning to notice speakers of the more unique languages on here :P What do you like or dislike about your language? :)

• Brohoof 1

Done :D And Welsh eh? Wow, I'm already beginning to notice speakers of the more unique languages on here :P What do you like or dislike about your language? :)

Likes: about 500000 speakers only, sick sounding words (like "eos", which means nightingale)

Dislikes: words that have like no vowels and three or four L's in a row, when people ask me "where is Wales/is that a even real language?" JUST DIE PLS c:

Edited by Witch
  • Brohoof 1

And it's really cool to see natives of some of the lesser spoken languages :squee: Even though I don't know anything about your language, I love the unique characters that you use in writing.

Yeah, unique characters are fun also funny fact it has a lot of words for everything like Latin which has helped keep it close to the original language. Not many foreign words used, so yeah.

• Brohoof 2

I speak the U.S-English variation. I don't like it all because of how confusing it is, mainly because when I try other languages I realize how vastly different it is to mine and how much it has in common with other languages. -_-

Edited by NoodleBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Mine is English, although, is it possible to have two native languages? I learned both English and Spanish at about the same rate.

I consider both Polish and Welsh my native languages as I learned both at the same time, but since I was born in Wales I often refer to it as my first.

You could also say English is as well, I guess, so... .-.

• Brohoof 3

Mine is English, although, is it possible to have two native languages? I learned both English and Spanish at about the same rate.

Lol well if you were literally RAISED bilingually, then you can place your vote under the newest option I added :squee:

What I mean by "raised" is that you had to have had bilingual parents :)

• Brohoof 1

English. I've gotten a little tired of it after so many years of hearing the exact same language every day, so I try to expose myself to new languages instead.. I'm so weird. :muffins:

My favorite language is Finnish! :D

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 3

As one would expect , English is the most common, my next guess would be Spanish then either German or Russian.

This poll is still new, so it will be a while until the poll will display an accurate distribution.  

• Brohoof 2

As one would expect , English is the most common, my next guess would be Spanish then either German or Russian.

This poll is still new, so it will be a while until the poll will display an accurate distribution.

So do you personally think that the bilingual option will help with the distribution or hinder it in someway? I'm just curious because I have no idea how common bilingualism is :/

So do you personally think that the bilingual option will help with the distribution or hinder it in someway? I'm just curious because I have no idea how common bilingualism is :/

In some sense it would hinder it if you wanted to measure distribution based off just the poll , but you could go through and read the posts pertaining to those who said they were bilingual.

Overall I don't think it will matter but so much, most of us (unfortunately) did now grow up with 2 languages. Being multilingual is great for meeting new people as well as landing jobs one might not otherwise be able to get.  I took 3 years of German before the program at my school fell apart, in addition I am currently teaching myself Russian in my spare time. During or after college I intend to re-visit German and finish what I started as well as get some proper Russian courses. I have also been thinking about picking up Japanese, not at this moment but perhaps later after college. 

• Brohoof 2

In some sense it would hinder it if you wanted to measure distribution based off just the poll , but you could go through and read the posts pertaining to those who said they were bilingual.

Overall I don't think it will matter but so much, most of us (unfortunately) did now grow up with 2 languages. Being multilingual is great for meeting new people as well as landing jobs one might not otherwise be able to get.  I took 3 years of German before the program at my school fell apart, in addition I am currently teaching myself Russian in my spare time. During or after college I intend to re-visit German and finish what I started as well as get some proper Russian courses. I have also been thinking about picking up Japanese, not at this moment but perhaps later after college.

I would prefer it to be measured via poll as it would be a lot easier and more straightforward. So I deleted the bilingual option, sorry bilingual people. Just choose which language you feel more comfortable with, more expressive, or perhaps the one in which you know more words. And if you want, share your two, or three (if that's the case) native languages that you have learned since birth.

And that is quite an interesting experience you must of had Sergei. Have you actually achieved conversational fluency (at the least) in any of those languages? :)

• Brohoof 1

I would prefer it to be measured via poll as it would be a lot easier and more straightforward. So I deleted the bilingual option, sorry bilingual people. Just choose which language you feel more comfortable with, more expressive, or perhaps the one in which you know more words. And if you want, share your two, or three (if that's the case) native languages that you have learned since birth.

And that is quite an interesting experience you must of had Sergei. Have you actually achieved conversational fluency (at the least) in any of those languages? :)

I can understand bits and pieces of Russian and German as well as talk in a similar fashion (bits and pieces), more so than the average person could, but not enough to call me fluent.