Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most common languages that us members speak

Dsanders

Native Languages   

116 users have voted

1. 1. What is your native language (the language that you were born with)?

• English
    • Spanish
    • German
    • French
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Portuguese
    • Mandarin Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Greek
    • Hebrew
    • Italian
    • Russian
    • Polish
    • Danish
    • Icelandic
    • Welsh
    • Norwegian

My first language is french, being born in this french area at the east side of Canada, Quebec. While this language is wonderful, I had to learn english in order to communicate, but I still prefer french. (I actually won a writing contest)

What I like: This language is rich, wonderful, and much less awkward to speak than english. By far the best language for books.

What I dislike: Ermagherd dat grammar. It's soooo difficult, even after 16 years I still do mistakes, and I'm way above average. The difficulty make your its/it's rule look easy. o_O

• Brohoof 2

My first language is french, being born in this french area at the east side of Canada, Quebec. While this language is wonderful, I had to learn english in order to communicate, but I still prefer french. (I actually won a writing contest)What I like: This language is rich, wonderful, and much less awkward to speak than english. By far the best language for books.What I dislike: Ermagherd dat grammar. It's soooo difficult, even after 16 years I still do mistakes, and I'm way above average. The difficulty make your its/it's rule look easy. o_O

Wow, this is one of the first times that I have seen someone actually prefer another language over English xD

Oh and by the way, I'm sure you know Pink Mist, right? She's really been wanting to learn French ;) hehe

• Brohoof 1

English

Likes: Because guys like Shakespeare, Milton, and their ilk used it.

Dislikes: My American ancestors ruined the spelling, E.G. "colour" looks and helps give you a better idea of the pronunciation than "color".

Portuguese is my native language. I quite like it. It's not that hard, makes a lot of sense, and is very similar to English.

I ate bread yesterday.

Eu comi pão ontem.

I = Eu, ate = comi, bread = pão, yesterday = ontem. Simple as that.

The only hard thing about it is the pronunciation. It uses a lot more open sounds and nasal sounds, so most English speakers have a hard time saying it. But with practice you can get there.

Oh, and Literature. It's really extensive. Look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os_Lus%C3%ADadas

It's basically a whole book. 1102 stanzas. 8816 lines. Each line has 10 syllables. And they all rhyme. I mean, it's perfection without end. And it narrates the whole history of Portugal too.

So if you like poetry and poems in general, Portuguese language is great for that, because lots of things rhyme and sound good with each other. If anyone's interested, take a look at this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_literature

Some books in Brazilian literature are just so deep. I mean, if you haven't read anything by Clarice Lispector, then I strongly recommend you do so, especially "The Time of The Star" (A Hora da Estrela). It doesn't matter if you read it in English or not, just read it.

Edited by caramba2654
  • Brohoof 1

I'll hazard a guess here and say that since most of you are native English speakers then most of you are from US / UK (maybe even Australia?). Still interesting to see how many native languages are there.

I speak three; English (obviously, learned it), Russian (The language of my parents, taught as an infant) and Hebrew (Common language here). Wasn't sure what to put here so i chose Russian as it was the language i was taught first while i was but a baby.

• Brohoof 1

English.

I studied German in high school, but I forgot most of what I learned.

http://www.amazon.com/Assimil-German-Ease-English-Speakers/dp/2700517504

Get through this book while practicing, probably end up around B1 or B2

Don't know what that means? http://www.deutsch-als-fremdsprache.org/en/faq/323-what-does-language-level-a1-a2-b1-b2-c1-and-c2-mean.html

"It's expensive" Yeah, I know

Norwegian isnt even on the list :< No vote from me.

Should be noted that I speak english good enough to almost want to vote that anyway ._.

Done ;)

By the way, is it true that you can communicate well with Swedes and Danes? :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Done ;)

By the way, is it true that you can communicate well with Swedes and Danes? :squee:

Well for the most of it, there are some awkward situations where you have no idea what specific words mean in the other language xD and sometimes I dont understand danes at all ._. 

• Brohoof 1

My first language is English. Regarding other languages, I have some ability in Spanish and French.

This video perfectly explains my love-hate relationship with the English language.

I perfectly understand what you mean. But alas, the oddities of our language are things are you cannot avoid and you will inevitably have to get used to them.

Some things that I find funny about English:

• "Love" can literally be used in the exact same way as "like," while in countless other languages, when wanting to say that you love something you need to differentiate between love as in an simple interest, a family member, a friend, and spouse.
  • Verbs can have hundreds of different uses. Let's take for example, the simple verb "work". I work as a teacher. I need to work on my social skills. The engine is not working. All these uses do not possess the same meaning and in languages such as Spanish or French, "to work" needs to be conveyed by different verbs in order to make sense in the previous contexts. Don't even get me started on verbs such as "take" or "become." xD
  • English has a lot of irregular verbs. For example, "to be" is the most verb we use. The conjugations in the present tense are: I am, you are, she is, he is, it is, they are. In the past: I was, you were, she was, he was, it was, they were. The conditional is regular: I would be, you would be, she would be, he would be, it would be, they would be. The same goes for the future (e.g. I will be, you will be, she will be, etc. ...). 

I perfectly understand what you mean. But alas, the oddities of our language are things are you cannot avoid and you will inevitably have to get used to them.

Some things that I find funny about English:

• "Love" can literally be used in the exact same way as "like," while in countless other languages, when wanting to say that you love something you need to differentiate between love as in an simple interest, a family member, a friend, and spouse.
  • Verbs can have hundreds of different uses. Let's take for example, the simple verb "work". I work as a teacher. I need to work on my social skills. The engine is not working. All these uses do not possess the same meaning and in languages such as Spanish or French, "to work" needs to be conveyed by different verbs in order to make sense in the previous contexts. Don't even get me started on verbs such as "take" or "become." xD
  • English has a lot of irregular verbs. For example, "to be" is the most verb we use. The conjugations in the present tense are: I am, you are, she is, he is, it is, they are. In the past: I was, you were, she was, he was, it was, they were. The conditional is regular: I would be, you would be, she would be, he would be, it would be, they would be. The same goes for the future (e.g. I will be, you will be, she will be, etc. ...). 

That's yet another reason why Portuguese is so similar to English.

Like, the verb "andar". It means to walk, so "Eu ando devagar" translates to "I walk slowly". But you can also say "Eu ando triste." And that translates to "I'm feeling sad lately."

Oh, and irregular verbs? We have them too. Welcome the verb "ser" (it translates to the verb "to be", which is ironical, since they're irregular in both languages), which conjugates as the following:

Eu sou         / I am

Tu és           / You are (singular)

Ele é           / (S)he is

Nós somos  / We are

Vós seis      / You are (plural)

Eles são      / They are

So, yeah. Portuguese. Woot!

Edited by caramba2654
  • Brohoof 1

That's yet another reason why Portuguese is so similar to English.

Like, the verb "andar". It means to walk, so "Eu ando devagar" translates to "I walk slowly". But you can also say "Eu ando triste." And that translates to "I'm feeling sad lately."

Oh, and irregular verbs? We have them too. Welcome the verb "ser" (it translates to the verb "to be", which is ironical, since they're irregular in both languages), which conjugates as the following:

Eu sou         / I am

Tu és           / You are (singular)

Ele é           / (S)he is

Nós somos  / We are

Vós seis      / You are (plural)

Eles são      / They are

So, yeah. Portuguese. Woot!

How funny, the same even goes for Spanish, which I am currently studying. There are similar conjugations for their version of "ser" (e.g. Yo soy, tú eres, él(ella) es, nosotros somos, etc. ...). And likewise in Portuguese, there are two different forms of be. 

Once I reach at least conversational fluency in Spanish, I'll want you as my Portuguese teacher :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Guys just a reminder to please keep posts in English.  While you all are more than welcome to discuss the other languages you speak, please refrain from actually using other languages in this thread or anywhere else on the forum because the staff isn't able to moderate things we can't read.

Thanks!

Guys just a reminder to please keep posts in English.  While you all are more than welcome to discuss the other languages you speak, please refrain from actually using other languages in this thread or anywhere else on the forum because the staff isn't able to moderate things we can't read.

Thanks!

Is it alright if we share certain aspects of the language in a grammatical and educational format in which we can share particularities in the foreign language and then translate and explain in English? 

Overall, I promise you that no conversation in any foreign language will ever take place here. :)