Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you rather speak every language or master every instrument?

Pone

Instruments, if I were a master at every instrument I could still try to communicate to someone how I feel since there are different genres of music.

I think I would rather learn languages because there are so many in the world that it would make life easier and I could talk to anyone I wanted. I love music and knowing all instruments would be great but languages has a bigger use and it would make french class so much easier.

Language. I'm not particularly musically enclined, if I learned to play any instrument I'd only ever be able to play music someone else has written, music that I can already listen to whenever I want. With language I could read any book without having to wait for a translation (I'm looking at you Witcher novels) also, I enjoy writing and using language elaborately to confuse people or just in general. Plus, it would remove all language barriers, no worries about only being able to hang out with people who can speak your language.

• 1 month later...

As much as I would LOVE to be able to master every instrument, I have to go with speaking every language. Being able to communicate with everyone would be amazing, and very helpful.  :)

Confusing people by speaking languages they don't understand would also be entertaining.  :smug:

• Brohoof 1

I would much rather go with on omnilingualism. It would be amazing to able to communicate with any soul on the planet. I would be able to understand all the 5,000 or so languages out there along with numerous nonverbal forms or communication. Hell if music and math are considered languages, then I would be an expert in those areas. I would be also be able to understand computer languages, sign languages, and even body language! The possibilities are endless! :D

• Brohoof 2

I've always had a thing for learning new languages. In fact, there are several I want to learn. To list them off, I'd like to learn German, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Norwegian, Korean, Arabic, Italian, Latin, and Finnish. Of course, a lot of time and effort goes in to learning new languages, especially the easternmost languages like Russian, Arabic, and Chinese. I may, in the long run, not have enough time on my hands to learn all these languages and not even the mental capacity to memorize them all. I mean, I can imagine having to practice and exercise these languages on a regular basis so I don't lose them would be a pain, but to be able to speak any and every language I want right then and there without years of grueling study and practice? I'd take that offer up on the spot over being able to play every instrument. Sure, I'd like to learn how to play the guitar or maybe the piano, and I could surely impress many people with such a skill, but that's like two instruments I actually want to learn how to play, whereas taking option #1 would allow me to speak all 11 of the languages I've mentioned and more.

• Brohoof 1

Languages, of course.

It would allow me to understand all those old books written in Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese and who knows what else, without the need of relying on translators who might (deliberately or not) mis-translate something.

Knowing every language there is, would open the doors for unlimited knowledge. And this is way more useful than playing every instrument.

Also, it is much easier to learn to play a new instrument than to learn a whole new language. I can learn to play instruments myself, but learning all possible languages is a tremendous task, so it would be great to have this knowledge magically implemented into my brain ;)

Edited by SasQ

I would prefer to master all the languages. Think about it: you can talk to everyone in the entire world with ease instead of having a translator with you all the time. Being bilingual can get you into many different kinds of jobs in Europe and Asia too. Knowing how to play all the instruments is cool, but I think knowing all the languages is cooler.

Hopefully I will get a Rosetta Stone in the near future so I can improve on my Spanish. I also want to learn Swedish, being part Swedish and all. From what I've heard Swedish is easy to learn for English speakers.

Edited by ThatAwkwardBookworm

Every instrument, music is something that words could never describe, it brings the imagination out.  Close your eyes, listen to music and behold another world to belong in.  This world is one that can only be described by the mind and spirit, one can not describe such magnificence is one place.  This world that the melody brings could only be seen by you and for you.  That is one world that the imagination mixed with the right music could bring.  The beat, the beat is something that can take you on adventures that is far from our reaches, it is an adventure only described as epic and can only be seen as so.  The vocals, only they could make you feel more relaxed and comfortable in tough times.  The bass, the bass is something that can only make you see the depth of your imagination.  Finally the ambient, the ambient sounds make the environment come together as one making your imagination complete.  This is the music I would want to make.

• 1 month later...

I barely even speak my own language that often :P so I guess mastering every instrument would be more worthwhile, in the end. Even if I didn't end up sharing it with anyone (out of shyness), it'd be nice to just mess around and see what music I can create, what feelings I can express when words cannot suffice  :catface:

Mastering every instrument. I'd love to create music with the instruments I like, and it just seems more useful than speaking every language. (edit: oh wait, no)

Depends on the scope of the languages. Does it include programming language? If so, I would totally pick language img-3152831-1-Vbrgu.png

Actually I'd pick the languages for the same reason.

Edited by Blobulle

Speak every language. Can you imagine that? I mean, I'd love to know what some of my artists/bands are saying when they speak their native languages. Most of the the music I like is Japanese as well, so I'd be able to understand the songs they sing too.

Languages. Imagine the possibilities for making new friends, relationships, jobs etc. You might know how to play every instrument but if you don't have a musical ear you won't produce anything very decent.

• 4 weeks later...

I would rather master every instrument. I could put together some sweet one-person album by recording different parts separately and make it exactly what I want it to be, or I could join any kind of band or music group I wanted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would rather speak every language. There are only a few instruments I'd like to be able to play, while there are a bunch of languages I'd like to know.