Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most common languages that us members speak

Dsanders

Native Languages   

116 users have voted

1. 1. What is your native language (the language that you were born with)?

• English
    • Spanish
    • German
    • French
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Portuguese
    • Mandarin Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Greek
    • Hebrew
    • Italian
    • Russian
    • Polish
    • Danish
    • Icelandic
    • Welsh
    • Norwegian

I was going to say you could use the Translate button on Google Chrome but also with romance languages resembling each other so closely you can usually figure out an argument vs regular talk, but at the same time there are words that mean multiple things in different languages that google would only tell one for. An example would be that Blue can also mean Gay (Not offensively). Don't worry, there's an offensive word for it which in no way resembles said word. Also in finnish a word means the moon and six so..

Do signatures count by the way?

I can offer you a translation if you'd like

• Brohoof 1

I was going to say you could use the Translate button on Google Chrome but also with romance languages resembling each other so closely you can usually figure out an argument vs regular talk, but at the same time there are words that mean multiple things in different languages that google would only tell one for. An example would be that Blue can also mean Gay (Not offensively). Don't worry, there's an offensive word for it which in no way resembles said word. Also in finnish a word means the moon and six so..

Do signatures count by the way?

I can offer you a translation if you'd like

I agree with you. Mainly with Romance languages, especially Spanish (which in my opinion seems to work best with most translators), they are not too hard to translate via Google Translate. But nonetheless, like I told Simon, we won't be having any conversations in any foreign language other than English. But if we want to share certain aspects, and explain some words or phrases grammatically and for educational purposes, I don't see a problem :)

Anyways, I hope we can get more people here from around the world to vote. I'm really interested in seeing just how internationally connected we are as a community :)

Strictly speaking it's both English and Chinese.

But I could only choose one so guess I go with the one I'm better at. :3

Just curious but were your first words in Chinese or English? :3

My native language is English. Although my speaking pattern is so weird that it seems like that my native language is not English. :P

I'm yet another member who speaks English, as I live in 'MERICA. I don't think the language is bad, but I should really look into trying to learn another language, if for nothing else, for the fun and joy of learning it!

• Brohoof 1

Well it seems that so far, apart from English, Spanish is the most common second language, though it is at a close tie with a couple others. This is so far appearing ridiculous since I know that there are a lot more Spanish-speaking bronies lurking around here :P

I kinda have two, since my country is a multi-racial one. English (surprise, surprise) and Malay, though that's not on the poll. I primarily speak English, as that's the main language here.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

English is my native language. No surprise that most people here have English has their first language.

Currently learning Spanish. Once I'm fluent in that language I'll move on to Swedish. :D

Oh, we're reviving an old thread? Great, at least I can say few words.

My native language is polish. I really like it, even if some guys in Poland can't use it very well. It's not called one of the hardest languages in the world for no reason. I'm not gonna write an essay about that, I'll just give you two examples

First - spelling. You know, there are letters like 'u' and 'ó', both of which sound exactly the same, but you need to know, when to use which one. It goes also to pairs: 'ż' - 'rz' and 'h'- 'ch'. You know, many Poles have problems with that. It really hurts. But you can eventually learn it, it's not that bad. I have something better...

Second example! One simple word... 'two'. In english, there is only one way to use it. In polish there's seventeen.

1. dwa
2. dwie
3. dwoje
4. dwóch (or dwu)
5. dwaj
6. dwiema
7. dwóm
8. dwoma
9. dwojga
10. dwojgu
11. dwojgiem
12. dwójka
13. dwójki
14. dwójkę
15. dwójką
16. dwójce
17. dwójko

And that doesn't include ways of saying "second" or "double" or "pair" or anything like that. That is just straight up how to say the number two 17 different ways.

But what is my favourite thing? You're propably now expecting me to say 'pierogi', but thats not it. I love how our language sound. Just try to say 'W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie' and you'll understand.

My native language is {insert predictable answer here}... I like how simple English seems to be to learn (which is good considering I'm pretty unsocial and thus don't practice my language vocally often enough  :P), but I still find more complex languages like Japanese very interesting. 

• 6 years later...

English is the only language I speak fluently. I would like to be able to speak German or Japanese as well. I took 2 years of German in high school but have only been able to remember the basics (introducing myself, asking where something is, etc.).

• Brohoof 2

German is my native language and I'm fluent in English. I also learned Spanish for a couple of years in high school and also learned a bit Swedish a couple of years ago, but I do not really speak these  two languages.

On 2022-02-09 at 1:08 AM, The Wife of Arataki said:

English is the only language I speak fluently. I would like to be able to speak German or Japanese as well. I took 2 years of German in high school but have only been able to remember the basics (introducing myself, asking where something is, etc.).

Don't give up! Though they are definitely not easy languages to learn :)

• Brohoof 3

I wanted to learn Japanese, but it is not easy to figure out sentences from just guessing. The teaching methods I tried weren't helping (you learn it better if you learn it like if you were a toddler, only, you aren't a toddler).

It is difficult to know what language is the most common, but I would guess English.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

English, but I speak (or should say spoke) some Japanese and just a tad of German. When they say, “Use it or lose it” they aren’t kidding. If I let my language studies lapse for even a week it disappears from my brain completely. I was speaking lower-intermediate Japanese for a while but I can barely even remember my basic Hiragana and Katakana anymore. It’s sad.  

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1