Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

Oh, really? What Israeli music do you listen to?

I don't like today's mainstream Israeli music too (Oriental Pop, yikes), but there are tons of Rock bands and stuff popping out of nowhere lately, so I don't complain. Though I mostly listen to bands like Hadag Nahash, Hayehudim and Mashina -- 'cuz I'm old-fashioned B)

And if you still want me to help you with being able to have a conversation, or if you want me to introduce you to the Israeli web, I can give you my AOL, MSN or Skype details~

You should ask her to bring you some red Bamba as well. It's awesome ;)

and of course,
  ;) 

I haven't really managed to find a great deal of music I like outside of Metal, unfortunately.  and thank you, I'll definitely bear it mind.  :)  (I actually don't use any instant messengers like MSN or SKype anymore... I'm not sure why, but I don't even have them installed anymore. ._.)

I actually prefer original Bamba to Red Bamba, but they sell it here anyway. Red Bamba is pretty awesome though, but my mum always brings it back with her anyway. ^_^ 

Edited by Hansel

I'm actually trying to learn some Finnish right now. I'm trying to see if I can in anyway transfer to a college over there in Finland, but uh that isn't going to happen unless I know the language pretty well.

I've also started learning a little bit of Chinese.

• Brohoof 1

@SugoiDesu (English time lul)

1. Modern Hebrew was established by Eliezer ben Yehuda in 1910, as he released a dictionary.

2. Ancient English is similar to how Luna speaks, only actually further back. So, if you wanted to say "He got on a donkey and rode to Bethlehem", you'd say "And it was, that he did mount upon a she-ass; and he rode until he was upon the gates of the city of Bethlehem." It's a very descriptive manner of speaking, and it tends to come from the absolutely direct translation of Hebrew (ויקרא והוא עלה אל-חמור; ורכב עד-שערי העיר,בית-לחםץ)

3. I learn Hebrew in school - it's a Jewish school, so we have a specialized curriculum.

4. I've been learning Yiddish for 5 years. I can read very well, write fairly simple answers to questions on texts and self, and carry on /very/ basic conversations.

5. I know, my Hebrew grammar has always been terrible. I'm much more confident in my conversational Hebrew than my formal. I'm always looking for people who can help me! ;)

6. Je suis canadien, donc c'est un règle que tous les élèves savent le français. Ma grammaire, c'est mieux que ma classe, parce-que mon parents sont du Québec (et j'suis un génie :P).

1. Well, you didn't say "establish", now did you? :P

-- But I wouldn't say that it is correct, because Modern Hebrew was officially established when the first modern "Olim" came to Palestine ("ארץ ישראל").

Nevertheless, there was a Hebrew newspaper way before 1910 (HaMegid, published in central Europe in 1856, was founded two years before Eliezer Ben Yehuda was even born), and the first native speaker -- Itamar ben Avi, was born in 1882.

Speaking of Eliezer Ben Yehuda, by the way, his deeds before 1910 were not less important than him publishing a dictionary, so you COULD say it all started when he published his article about the importance of the Jewish people to use Hebrew as their main language -- but that would be inaccurate either.

2. Well, that's not ancient English 0-0

"Ancient English" looks like this:

"Ic nam me to gemynde þa gewritu and þa word, þe se arcebiscop Lyfing me fram þam papan brohte of Rome, þæt ic scolde æghwær godes lof upp aræran and unriht alecgan and full frið wyrcean be ðære mihte, þe me god syllan wolde."

Did you mean "Early Modern English", used by Shakespeare, for example?

3. Cool :D

4. Great! I only started learning it this year, but I have a basic intuition for Yiddish, because my grandparents used to speak it when I was little. They've been helping me with my studies recently, it's quite helpful :)

5. Well, my offer to Hansel is open for you too, if you want it :P

6. En Israël, on ne parle pas beaucoup de français. Moi, j'apprends le français parce-que mon école est française. Ma grammaire est mieux que la grammaire d'autres gens dans ma classe aussi, mais je ne sais pas pour-quoi.

Edited by SugoiDesu
  • Brohoof 1

1. Well, you didn't say "establish", now did you? :P

-- But I wouldn't say that it is correct, because Modern Hebrew was officially established when the first modern "Olim" came to Palestine ("ארץ ישראל").

Nevertheless, there was a Hebrew newspaper way before 1910 (HaMegid, published in central Europe in 1856, was founded two years before Eliezer Ben Yehuda was even born), and the first native speaker -- Itamar ben Avi, was born in 1882.

Speaking of Eliezer Ben Yehuda, by the way, his deeds before 1910 were not less important than him publishing a dictionary, so you COULD say it all started when he published his article about the importance of the Jewish people to use Hebrew as their main language -- but that would be inaccurate either.

2. Well, that's not ancient English 0-0

"Ancient English" looks like this:

"Ic nam me to gemynde þa gewritu and þa word, þe se arcebiscop Lyfing me fram þam papan brohte of Rome, þæt ic scolde æghwær godes lof upp aræran and unriht alecgan and full frið wyrcean be ðære mihte, þe me god syllan wolde."

Did you mean "Early Modern English", used by Shakespeare, for example?

3. Cool :D

4. Great! I only started learning it this year, but I have a basic intuition for Yiddish, because my grandparents used to speak it when I was little. They're helping me with my studies recently, it's quite helpful :)

5. Well, my offer to Hansel is open for you too, if you want it :P

6. En Israël, on ne parle pas beacoup de français. Moi, j'apprends le français parce-que mon école est française. Ma grammaire est mieux que la grammaire d'autres gens dans ma classe aussi, mais je ne sais pas pour quoi.

1. Well, I concede that I didn't say "establish" ante facto, but another meaning of the word is "put into common use". As a random (and very unbacked) example is if Coca-Cola made their cola and sold it from stands in 1820, but if Coca-Cola became a corporation in 1892, the latter date counts as the establishment. Therefore, Ben Yehuda collected HaMegid and all of the others' work into the dictionary he wrote - no-one ever said he came up with it alone!

2. I suppose so. But you must figure that truly ancient English is really just an amalgam of Scandinavian languages? The Vikings were there far before the English people.

YOU WIN THIS TIME!

• Brohoof 1

1. Well, I concede that I didn't say "establish" ante facto, but another meaning of the word is "put into common use". As a random (and very unbacked) example is if Coca-Cola made their cola and sold it from stands in 1820, but if Coca-Cola became a corporation in 1892, the latter date counts as the establishment. Therefore, Ben Yehuda collected HaMegid and all of the others' work into the dictionary he wrote - no-one ever said he came up with it alone!

2. I suppose so. But you must figure that truly ancient English is really just an amalgam of Scandinavian languages? The Vikings were there far before the English people.

YOU WIN THIS TIME!

1. But that's a matter of formularization, now isn't it? :)

2. Using that logic, we could easily just say that ancient English never existed :P

WHY THANK YOU KIND SIR

Edited by SugoiDesu

I can speak Spanish somewhat, but not near where I want it to be. I also know random words in multiple languages, but couldn't even try to form a sentence.

I would really like to learn Russian, Greek, Latin, French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, pretty much any language I could.

I am fluent in both Icelandic and English, and I can read Danish but my vocabulary isn't large enough to write it even though I know how sentence structure works.

I would like to learn Norwegian, French and Japanese but there really isn't a language I wouldn't like to learn.

I only know English. I learned basic high school Spanish but forgot it before the A's dried on my report card. :P

The one other language I want to learn is Japanese. I just like how it sounds and I'm interested in the culture. I watch anime with the original Japanese dialogue all the time.

Looks SO hard to learn though.

• 1 month later...

I can speak a very small amount of French :3

So basically, I can only speak English. I wouldn't mind improving on French but I doubt I'll ever get to it...

I know some Spanish as it is hard to avoid that living in Southern California and I though I am not as fluent as I would like to be I do know some Italian thanks in large part to my Dad's side of the family who are Italian immigrants. And I picked up a little bit of Japanese though all my years of watching anime much of subbed.

My native language is Hungarian, which is considered to be one of the most difficult languages to learn, because it relies on stuff like vowel harmony and suffixes all the time.

My second language is English and I've been studying it since I was 7, but next winter it's probably going to be over once I pass the "C1 Advanced level" exam. (I could probably already do that, but I'd rather not throw my 200 bucks out the window for nothing)

I also know a bit of German, and I'm working really hard both at, and outside of school to get to the level at which I can have an average conversation (btw, I really love every bit of similarity it has with English).

I'd also be interested in French once I become kickass at German.

Edited by Zacharias

I'm bilingual and speak Dutch and English. I also speak French and German (I only know the basic things) and a little Icelandic and Indonesian. I'd like to improve my Icelandic because I love the country. :)

From the foreign languages: I speak English fluently, Russian - so so good, German - well at least can make simple conversations. I do try to sound like native when speaking any language though, for English I try to sound like Am En cause I can't bother to make every word sound like in British En, for Russian I think I may not be even recognized as non-native, for German, yeah hard to get the German 'R' like natives do it.

Me and my year went on a 5 day trip to Paris a couple of weeks ago, the only French words we spoke were Bonjour, au revoir, Merci, si vous plait and Nutella crepe! Pretty much everyone in France speaks English (or at least at the tourist attractions)

日本語と中国語ができます。

I've studied Japanese for about a couple years, and I can speak (not write) Cantonese from when I was young (I'm Chinese).  Hopefully, these other languages don't interfere with my Engrish.  I mean, English.  :lol:

I have aspirations of also learning Korean and some European language.  Not sure which one yet. 

• 1 month later...

I know little German, little Japanese, some Spanish, extremely little French, little-to-none Hebrew...uh.... that's about it. ._.

Of course, I know English.

Well i was born in America and only taught english. So I only know English, and to be fair I'm not even that good at it.

My grandmother speaks French, but she hasn't spoken it since my dad was younger really. She never taught me it anyways.

I'm gonna learn spanish in highschool simply because I need a language and it seems to be the one I can use the most. That is if I can learn it at all. :P

Knowing other languages is always cool. Spanish is one I want to learn because it's really mainly the only other language I hear spoken down here. Not that others don't exist, it's just more common. So knowing what some of the spanish speakers are saying would be cool.

Well i know russian obviously, cuz it is my native language. I knew a bit spanish - had learnt it for a half of year when was a child, so... it is not consider to able speak at all?

What language i am really wonna know right now is english. I had studing it since i was 10 but... i was too stubborn and my teacher was really sucks, and i only sit hard maybe... two years ago or so. I able to watch some tv shows, listen some of radio and conversetions but... really wonna be on a level with native speaker.

I only know some basic French, and a very tiny amount of German.
I'd love to carry on learning French, but only if I was gonna be living in France, or regularly talking to French people.
Since I'm in an English speaking country, I think I'll probably just learn it and then forget it.

I can speak Bahasa Indonesia, albeit non-fluently. I however can understand Indonesian perfectly. If my parents taught me Chinese, I would have known that too, but they didn't. A shame since they're Chinese too, but it's alright.