Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I took Spanish in high school, and I am trying to learn more now. My problem is, although I did really good in class, I could never actually have a conversation. I could tell you what different words mean, but I can't string them together in a coherent sentence.

At school, we're forced to learn French, and I am at good grips with the basics. I have began German in languages this year, and may or may not take it to GCSE. I also happen to know a few random words in Russian, Japanese and Spanish.

• Brohoof 1

I'd really like to learn Chinese or maybe Japanese. I think both of them is soo cool! :) Well my native language is Swedish and my second hand language is English. Though ATM i'm learning Spanish in school.

At school, we're forced to learn French, and I am at good grips with the basics. I have began German in languages this year, and may or may not take it to GCSE. I also happen to know a few random words in Russian, Japanese and Spanish.

Yea! Could you maybe learn me those so called RANDOM words on Japanese? It would be really cool knowing at least a few words on Japanese! :) Edited by Rain Dance

I'd really like to learn Chinese or maybe Japanese. I think both of them is soo cool! :) Well my native language is Swedish and my second hand language is English. Though ATM i'm learning Spanish in school.

Yea! Could you maybe learn me those so called RANDOM words on Japanese? It would be really cool knowing at least a few words on Japanese! :)

Yeah ok. They're nothing special really, so you can't form an entire conversation with them.

Konichiwa: Hello

Sayonara: Goodbye

Kawaii: Cute

San: Something you add onto the end of a name, for both boys and girls. Can be used in both formal and informal conversations. Don't ever call yourself san, that is rude in Japanese culture.

Kun: Something to add onto the end of a name. Used by males with higher status to talk to people with lower status. Shouldn't be used on people who are higher status.

Chan: A word you add to the end of someone who is a female family member, children, lovers etc (basically, a term for a person of endearment). Again should not be used on someone with higher status.

Moshi Moshi: Hello, but used over a telephone (so when you pick up the phone, you would say 'moshi moshi'.)

That's all I really know. I do know some Japanese names, but that's it really. Hope I could help :)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah ok. They're nothing special really, so you can't form an entire conversation with them.

Konichiwa: Hello

Sayonara: Goodbye

Kawaii: Cute

San: Something you add onto the end of a name, for both boys and girls. Can be used in both formal and informal conversations. Don't ever call yourself san, that is rude in Japanese culture.

Kun: Something to add onto the end of a name. Used by males with higher status to talk to people with lower status. Shouldn't be used on people who are higher status.

Chan: A word you add to the end of someone who is a female family member, children, lovers etc (basically, a term for a person of endearment). Again should not be used on someone with higher status.

Moshi Moshi: Hello, but used over a telephone (so when you pick up the phone, you would say 'moshi moshi'.)

That's all I really know. I do know some Japanese names, but that's it really. Hope I could help :)

Konichiwa Dylan-San ( I guess )! Thank you for learning me those words it feel really cool! Well now imma go copy them into a notepad! :wub:
  • Brohoof 1

I was born in America but I do know German from my grandfather, Im also part German. Hallo zusammen kolleginnen bronies, Hello fellow bronies in German :D

Edited by HerpyDooves

I currently only speak English and I know fragments of Japanese, but I would love to learn Spanish, Russian, or German. Spanish would be very practical for where I live, learning German would give me the ability to communicate with many internet friends in their native language, and learning Russian would be just plain awesome.

I'm going to say that most of you know my first language...pretty obvious. So English is actually the only second language that I nearly perfected. Well I still have a strong accent but at least I am decent at writing.

• Brohoof 1

Well , I know how to speak and write in Englsih, Spanish and French. One of my dad's friend once taught me how to write the Chinese alphabet but I've already forgotten it. I'd really like to learn Japanese (so I can finally understand what those Mangas and Animes say) and German.

In high school I took 3 years of German (and even got to spend the last half of my senior year in Germany). A couple years later, my job required me to learn Arabic, so I spent a year at a special school for that.

I don't use either of them nearly as much as I used to, but I still find myself in German-speaking and Arabic-speaking countries often enough to keep it somewhat fresh. If I had the time and energy, I would love to learn Chinese! Maybe one day.

I've noticed many people want to learn german, we should create a poll with a list of languages for people to vote on to see what is the most/least popular.

We could create a "Learn German" thread :o That could be rather cool! W could have German/ German speaking bronies teach not German speaking bronies!

http://mlpforums.com...5-lern-deutsch/

I just made a thread for anyone interested in learning German, given there was a large intrest on this thread. Join in if you like!

Edited by WingedRatchet
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I speak English (obviously) & Czech (or at least I hope so? :lol:), Slovak, a bit of French.a a smaller bit of German and a smallest bit of Latin (but really, it´s not something you can just use to speak, more like to read, understand and stuff...)

And I want to learn Finnish and Lithuanian.

Simple, self explanatory, fun.

I only know English, but I really want to learn Czech. Ever since I went to Prague last fall, I fell in love with the place, so now I want to learn their language.

Oh my, you want to learn my maternal language :wub: I´m glad there´s actually someone who knows Czech Republic exists, where it is, even visited our capital and wants to learn our language. :wub: Make sure to visit South Moravia too! ;)

Edited by Suntouched Coco

Well, I speak Hebrew since I live in Israel, and speak a bit of Russian from my parents, and English is like a second language to me, seems I know it as well as any other american/British man. So I guess that if I would ever want to learn a language, it would probably be German. I just like how the language sounds, and it feels really straight forward and not too "twisty" if you know what I mean. All the bad connotations to German in my society don't interest me, since it has nothing to do with what happened over 60 years ago. but I don't wanna start a discussion on an un-related topic, so basically, short version (or tldr if you prefer that): German.

Edited by YoureDown
  • Brohoof 1

I'd really like to learn Japanese. But I'm way to lazy to take the time and effort to learn it, though. At the person who made the German thread, now someone should make a Learn Japanese thread. I'd dig it.

Posted Image

My speaking language is English, however I learned Latin over the past few years. It is imperative to learn Latin because very important phrases, like ones you find the law, are oft in Latin.

How funny, I wanted to learn Japanese so I could play Gyakuten Kenji 2, then you pop up. Edited by Dusk Eninama Ace Attorney

Well I took French for 11 years, and Japanese for 2 and Russian for 2 1/2 years. And of course I know English xD. I'm starting to forget my French though and I know very limited Japanese and I only remember the greetings in Russian. I'd love to learn Spanish and Korean though and maybe Chinese. :)

I know basic Japanese, enough to probably survive there, that being said, just about everyone there knows basic Englsih. I tried learning Kilingon at one stage, that didn't last long, but aside from that i'm like to learn Spanish or Cantoneese.

I am fluent in Japanese and English, as I grew up speaking, reading, and writing both. My parents actually used to communicate to each other in German (they met in Germany, my father's from the US and my mother is from Japan), so they originally intended to raise me trilingual, but that didn't quite work out :P

Simple, self explanatory, fun.

I only know English, but I really want to learn Czech. Ever since I went to Prague last fall, I fell in love with the place, so now I want to learn their language.

Mint Petal.

Nice to see soneone I know on here. that lives on the same treat as me.

The languages I lould like to learn are russion, or german.

Irealy dont know why thoe.

I've been trying to learn japanese lately using those pimsleur audio CDs. They work fine, but you know they work kind of slowly and they don't teach me any hirigana, katagana, or kanji sooooo I'm gonna have to find some books about those sometime.

I would take a class at my college but lolnope I don't have any money.

Well, imma go commando on this! :P But nah, Only thing I'm fluent at is Spanish (native language since i'm from Argentina), and English (taught at school, but I went to further classes, I have played enough games, read many stories and saw many series with Spanish subtitles, all on English. Trust me, doing all that, you can get fluent in less than you think :ph34r: ). As for what I'd like to learn, well, I'm lazy and procrastinate :P , but if I ever do, I would want to learn as much of different languages as I can. Which is why I at least know random words or phrases (even if just one) in Japanese, French, Italian, Latin (although I think we ALL know a random phrase or word from Latin by now thanks to dictionaries, study books, etimology or trials and such :lol: ), German, Russian, and, believe it or not, Draconic (and no, not bcause of Skyrim or anything like that. I haven't even played The Elder Scrolls series :blink: ). So yeah, I'd like to learn as much as I can from other languages as I can. Even dead languages, or just unused languages. Hell, I wouldn't even mind learning Esperanto :lol: .

Edited by Arcanel