Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The times are a changeling=another reformation? Hope not.

TheMarkz0ne

I know people are well aware of the reformations being abused in the show and I would think the folks over at DHX are already aware of this and have concerns to not be repetitive. Just the name of the episode alone already gives me worries. I for one think this will be a changeling episode, I sadly think Chrysalis won't be in it. The worst thing they could have done, was rip off the Spongebob and Plankton friendship episode from many years ago. Say Fluttershy has to reform Chrysalis.. But I know they're not going to do that. I hope the episode just shows the message that not ALL changelings obey their Queen and commit horrible acts. I would HAAAATE..... If they reformed Chrysalis.

I have never understood the hatred towards reformations. A huge theme of this show, in fact THE theme for this show, is friendship. A key part of friendship is forgiveness. Reformations allow for that aspect. Some are definitely rushed, yes, but I am not against them. Chrysalis is one that I do think will need more time to simmer. Doing something that big in a single episode would be a bit much. For me, reformations are fine, but they have to be given proper treatment.

• Brohoof 5

I highly doubt they'll reform chrissy. Chances are it'll be about a new character, just a changeling who wants to live normally

• Brohoof 2

They better not reform Chrysalis.

If it actually happens than this would be my reaction:

Not only am I sick and tired of villain reformations as they have become really cliche in the show, but thanks to Starlight's in the season 5 finale, I have realized that the show itself has never been really good at them in the very first place.

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate the idea of reforming villains (Heel-Face Turn is one of my favorite tropes for a reason), but by this point I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to believably reform Chrysalis. Let's count up her sins, shall we?

1. She kidnapped and impersonated Cadance

2. Brainwashed Shining Armor and repeatedly scrambled his brain to keep him enthralled

3. Tried to invade Canterlot and enslave the entire population with aspirations to do the same to the rest of Equestria

4. In an alternate future, drove ponykind to near extinction

5. Assaulted Celestia

Basically, she hurt numerous people Twilight cares about. As much as I like characterize Twilight as a forgiving mare who finds it hard to carry a grudge (without good reason and despite Second Prances and What About Discord), Twilight would sooner blast Chrysalis in the face than even attempt to forgive her. Besides, Chrysalis is a bit too high profile to just show up in a regular episode. If I were to guess, I'd say the episode may finally touch on this little guy:

Capture.PNG  

If it was done in a single episode I'd absolutely hate it. If it was like a 2 parter it could work.

I actually RP a reformed version of her based on the videos by Loveless Nova, but I adapted it to the dreams happening over the span of many months. Such a thing is a huge deal and just shouldn't be done in a day.

Unfortunately if they do reform her the longest we could hope for might be a 2 parter.

I know people are well aware of the reformations being abused in the show and I would think the folks over at DHX are already aware of this and have concerns to not be repetitive

Stop generalizing. There are plenty that don't feel that way. Here is an academic look at this concept. Let's just say that within that topic are three people with advanced degrees centered around key aspects of the human experience (mind, law, trade) that make an argument that reformation on the show is functionally a good through irrespective of viewer self-interest. That is really what we are talking about here. Taking a position of self-interest is fine and all, however I think the point you try to make becomes more solid if you look at the narrative possibilities of all options. Reformations and keeping the status-quo both have pros and cons that could be explored. We need to see more of that in discussion topics. Heck, there is even a third option that I rarely see anyone on here mention ... the uneasy alliance or temporary truce.

Imagine for a moment that the Mane Six (after some discussion) care for an injured Changeling scout, only to discover that the only cure is the magic of Chrysalis. They make the decision to summon her, knowing full well that they may be initiating a fight. After healing her subject, Chrysalis does not befriend the Ponies, but merely agrees not to engage them in battle that day. Complexity is added to the character, without sacrificing her ability to be used as an antagonist later down the line. Has this been done before? Of course. So have the other two. I would prefer that to the binary options that I always see discussed. 

That said, I do not believe that there is any evidence that supports the stand alone episode the title references any reformation. Personally I will accept any of the outcomes if the general story is what I look for in pony. I try not to look at the resolution in an episode this far in advance. If feels suspiciously like I am discrediting the work of others while elevating myself over them, without doing any of the work myself. The execution is what is more important for me to focus on. Starlight's reformation is not the issue, but there were some flaws in the execution ... though I feel that they are forgivable. 

Reformation and forgiveness is an important message. When it happens, I want it to mean something. I'll be cool with it, provided it is done with precision and thoughtfulness. 

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate the idea of reforming villains (Heel-Face Turn is one of my favorite tropes for a reason), but by this point I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to believably reform Chrysalis. Let's count up her sins, shall we?

1. She kidnapped and impersonated Cadance

2. Brainwashed Shining Armor and repeatedly scrambled his brain to keep him enthralled

3. Tried to invade Canterlot and enslave the entire population with aspirations to do the same to the rest of Equestria

4. In an alternate future, drove ponykind to near extinction

5. Assaulted Celestia

Basically, she hurt numerous people Twilight cares about. As much as I like characterize Twilight as a forgiving mare who finds it hard to carry a grudge (without good reason and despite Second Prances and What About Discord), Twilight would sooner blast Chrysalis in the face than even attempt to forgive her. Besides, Chrysalis is a bit too high profile to just show up in a regular episode. If I were to guess, I'd say the episode may finally touch on this little guy:

Capture.PNG  

I guess I can't fully explain why Chrysalis being reformed is a bad idea. She just oozes evil. Think about the only pure evil characters in the show. 

Chrysalis

Tirek

Adagio

Sombra

Even though the comics aren't canon A, I don't think Tirek is pure evil. Tirek for all we know could have some minuscule love and respect for his family. We don't know much about Adagio. Does Adagio some what care about Sonata and Aria?I mean Adagio abuses them in the show. Is it a leader thing? Or is Adagio truly self centered. 

I get the vibe Chrysalis only protects the changelings for the survival of her species. The only changeling I could see Chrysalis risking her life for, would be if she had a daughter, a future queen to ensure changeling survival. 

• Brohoof 1

Chrysalis is like Celestia she cares for her kingdom unfortunately she chose a bad way of showing it but I mean think about the dark ages everyone was trying to care for their kingdom but the only way to do it since reasoning failed was to attack so I feel like Chrysalis did ask Celestia for some help but when she was turned down she threatened Celestia so therefore I believe reforming her is ok

• Brohoof 1

I highly doubt they'll reform chrissy. Chances are it'll be about a new character, just a changeling who wants to live normally

If that's the case, I suppose the lonely changeling at Crankey and Matilda's wedding in Slice of Life could be a good candidate :huh:. I'm not against reformations entirely, but I don't see Chrysy as reformation material

• Brohoof 1

If that's the case, I suppose the lonely changeling at Crankey and Matilda's wedding in Slice of Life could be a good candidate :huh:. I'm not against reformations entirely, but I don't see Chrysy as reformation material

While I really don't want to see Chrysalis reform, I am open up to the idea of the changelings as a species being allowed to reform and not be inherently evil.

For all we know there could be many different changeling hives or what have you that have nothing to do with Chrysalis and that changeling from Slice of Life could be part of one of those.

How would you react if Chrysalis got reformed?

wabkV.gif

I'd actually be fine with kevin showing up as a lone outlier, just as long as its made explicit that he's not the norm for his species and they AREN'T just misunderstood.

Might actually be a good episode if its him trying to hide being a changeling due to trying to avoid a villagers with pitchforks and torches scenario, and he gets found out at the end.

Chrysalis is like Celestia she cares for her kingdom unfortunately she chose a bad way of showing it but I mean think about the dark ages everyone was trying to care for their kingdom but the only way to do it since reasoning failed was to attack so I feel like Chrysalis did ask Celestia for some help but when she was turned down she threatened Celestia so therefore I believe reforming her is ok

I know not everyone views the comics as canon, but she threw one of her Soldiers in a volcano just for speaking.

large.jpeg

I never thought of the comics as canon and I don't think hasbro does either so I'm sticking with my first statement srry although the comics are hilarious

Ironically, despite my hatred for reformation in show, I was okay with the Comic reforming Sombra; This is mainly due to Sombra in the comics being pretty much 100% an "In name only" character, kind of like how starscream in Transformers armada was a heroic character. One of the few times I actually thought a heel face turn was in order (that being said, I would rather it have ended on a heroic sacrifice instead of the sugary happy ending it got)

While I really don't want to see Chrysalis reform, I am open up to the idea of the changelings as a species being allowed to reform and not be inherently evil.

For all we know there could be many different changeling hives or what have you that have nothing to do with Chrysalis and that changeling from Slice of Life could be part of one of those.

>cue all the fanfiction that has been made about Changelings all secretly being good succubi that give ponies wild sex fantasies in exchange for nightly meals

Yeah kill these parasites once and for all

DAS RACIST

>CHANGELING LIVES MATTER

370819__safe_screencap_image+macro_hub+l

Only one can change the heart of the Dark Queen.

For its pink and puffy, rainbow dancing, and glory that is a carboard horn.

Yes, I speak of none other then Flufflepuff!!!!!!!!!

I have never understood the hatred towards reformations. A huge theme of this show, in fact THE theme for this show, is friendship. A key part of friendship is forgiveness. Reformations allow for that aspect. Some are definitely rushed, yes, but I am not against them. Chrysalis is one that I do think will need more time to simmer. Doing something that big in a single episode would be a bit much. For me, reformations are fine, but they have to be given proper treatment.

Yes! Finally someone who feels the same way I do. I have a tendency to have unpopular opinions on the show, but I don't understand why everyone is against reformations. Why would the show be called 'Friendship is Magic' is they don't forgive the other characters? They can't kill every enemy they meet. It wouldn't exactly be a good message for a children's show.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

How would you react if Chrysalis got reformed?

I would feel satisfaction? Seeing another fan group got "cheated" by the writers with a ruined character.

And then i will be the one who says: Who cares? :P

Edited by Swifty

Yes! Finally someone who feels the same way I do. I have a tendency to have unpopular opinions on the show, but I don't understand why everyone is against reformations. Why would the show be called 'Friendship is Magic' is they don't forgive the other characters? They can't kill every enemy they meet. It wouldn't exactly be a good message for a children's show.

That's true, but it has to be made clear that not everyone can be reformed. I can pass the likes of Discord for being a mischievous douche man-child. Starlight for being misguided rather than evil (though her reasons for hating cutie marks kinda loses points on her reformation). Gilda, Diamond Tiara and Silver spoon for being everyday douches, but I don't see a completely evil and amoral (she could be worse, but you know, for kids  :-P ) like Chrysy being reformed. That's why Luna's dark magic making her Nightmare Moon got blasted, Tirek being imprisoned again, and Sombra being outright killed (unless you count the comics  :please: )

• Brohoof 1

That's true, but it has to be made clear that not everyone can be reformed. I can pass the likes of Discord for being a mischievous douche man-child. Starlight for being misguided rather than evil (though her reasons for hating cutie marks kinda loses points on her reformation). Gilda, Diamond Tiara and Silver spoon for being everyday douches, but I don't see a completely evil and amoral (she could be worse, but you know, for kids  :-P ) like Chrysy being reformed. That's why Luna's dark magic making her Nightmare Moon got blasted, Tirek being imprisoned again, and Sombra being outright killed (unless you count the comics  :please: )

What's your view on the Sirens? :P

large.png

• Brohoof 1

What's your view on the Sirens? :P

sig-4596698.large.png

I don't think they'll ever be reformed, they've just stopped being a threat, but I don't think they'd suddenly be goody two shoes. Well, even Sonata, she might be friendlier, and a follower, but she was still nasty when she had the chance