Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the new writers hate Twilight?

heavens-champion

It's very rare that I disagree with anything you say, Kyoshi, but this is one of those rare times.  Now, I definitely don't oppose opportunities for others to shine, and making time for everypony is always going to be a challenge when you have a large ensemble cast and short episodes to work with.  However, I would never say that a characters has hit a peak, thereby reducing their possible development.  No offense intended whatsoever, but to me, statements like this make Twilight sound more like a maxed out video game character with nowhere to go.  This isn't the case at all.  There's tons they can do with her.  The possibilities are still endless, but more often than not, they seem to ignore the best opportunities.  I, for one, have long wanted to see Twilight faced with some sort of ethical dilemma that she can't solve by herself, and needing Celestia's help (thereby bringing Tia back to the front as a competent guide and mentor).  I always wanted some real development of their relationship, which we never got in my opinion.

In real life, people don't just stop when they hit some arbitrary line in the sand where they've achieved certain goals.  Life just keeps going.  Something else is always on the horizon.  Just because Twilight has come a long way doesn't mean that her story is done, and it certainly doesn't mean she needs to become the new Celestia.  (I.e. a flat background pony)  Now, I realize you weren't advocating just stuffing Twilight into a closet with Celestia.  I know that.  And there's nothing wrong with focusing on others.  But I just feel that when it comes to fiction, there's something special and important about the character(s) that we started this journey with.  In a way, the audience feels as though they made this journey with them.  Twilight has always been the main character to an extent, and I don't want her to fade away.  I want her to continue developing and being challenged right through to the end.

Absolutely. Don't know what people are getting at when they say these characters have hit their peak; that's why I was really annoyed by earlier seasons' focus on having them teach others instead of learn new things themselves. As far as Twilight is concerned, I've increasingly interpreted her as having unhealthily high expectations of herself, and I think the show could really go somewhere with that if they choose to address it in detail. People don't reach a peak of their personal growth, so there's always room for characters to continue developing. There's always new angles and new stories to be told about them. 

I don't really think so, mostly because it's always been a requirement that when Twilight undergoes another stage of development, she must be rewarded massively for it. And the truth is, what could she really receive now? She's a princess with a castle, and now with her own student. What's next? 

Going off of my above suggestion: peace of mind? 

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Sparkle's becoming more like Celestia (all-powerful alicorn, teacher and mentor), and now she has the screen-time to match.  :wacko:  In reality, no, the writers don't hate her, but they've likely been given a mandate to make Starlight a large presence so that people will buy all of her playsets and toys. (For me, Twilight's absence was rather startling in Buckball Season when literally every other horned horse showed up.)

'large preseence" uh if you mean being in 3 episodes + finale then yeah huge focus *sarcasm

The ponies most used...

Rainbow Dash: To be honest she is most used in every season there's always a considerable number of RD episodes per season and if that's not enough she has to be plugged into almost every episode. Even in the recent CMC episode they just had to squeeze in a reference on Gabby going to Rainbow Dash's house sure it was because of relation to Gilda but still.

Rarity: Only for this season has she made too much of an appearance and had an exorbitant amount of episodes for her.

Starlight: Doesn't appear as much as the other two but she isn't really supposed to be a main character.

I don't really think so, mostly because it's always been a requirement that when Twilight undergoes another stage of development, she must be rewarded massively for it. And the truth is, what could she really receive now? She's a princess with a castle, and now with her own student. What's next? 

Yeah, I can't argue with that, and it's definitely a shame, because there is tons they could do with her, if they were just willing to do some mature, emotional development without the massive reward system.

Or they could just have her invent a completely new form of friendship, known as Hyper-Friendship, and then as a reward, give her a choice between having her own planet to preside over, or trade everything she has for what's inside THIS BOX:

post-26336-0-32212500-1474180612.png

Dun dun duuun!

The ponies most used...

Rainbow Dash: To be honest she is most used in every season there's always a considerable number of RD episodes per season and if that's not enough she has to be plugged into almost every episode. Even in the recent CMC episode they just had to squeeze in a reference on Gabby going to Rainbow Dash's house sure it was because of relation to Gilda but still.

Let's hope that if Season 7 shows up, she certainly won't get as much time as this season, and maybe, perhaps, not more than one RD episode in one half of that season.

Rarity: Only for this season has she made too much of an appearance and had an exorbitant amount of episodes for her.

Not necessarily. You see, Rarity has also set another record -- not having her voice actress credited for five episodes in a row -- in other words, no dialogue at all for those five episodes. It's something she actually deserved this season for what you said shown above.