Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Well, you see, I have a second generation Intel Core i5, GTX 1060, and over 100 games that work totally fine, even at 4K. This, however, does include emulation, Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.

I don't own a VR headset, I don't want a VR headset, and I especially don't need one. Nobody needs one. I'm sure I could run VR games, however.

Also, I got all my parts on Newegg besides my processor, but switching it from an 2nd gen i5 to an x4 860k would be almost the same. I've used one with this card, I know. It's not that different.

And I don't think Origin is bad, nor Uplay. What's so bad about em? Although, I'll admit, the new Origin design is pretty, well, strange.

What features could that offer? Like, a OneDrive subscription? or something? That's cool and all, but I don't wanna be forced into it. If I want a Cloud service, I will purchase one. but I don't want one. I don't care to have one. and by the looks of it, you don't want it either.

Well, maybe I've been a little harsh. It's not that the core idea and structure of Uplay and Origin is bad, It's just Steam does it so much better they look bad. I'm also kind of sick of the companies shoving Uplay and Origin systems into all of their games, even on consoles. It's optional, but you can still tell they desperately want people to know about it, it all seems like a popularity contest.

In this video, this guy explains the situation of the Switch very well and I have to agree with him. It only made logical sense with what he was explaining. It's pretty recent as well:

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

I think Nintendo want the third party developers to advertise their own games for the switch rather than them doing it since they'll have their own games to focus on. Right now, nothing is stopping third parties from making any announcements or providing updates to what may have been shown. Getting them on board is one thing but keeping them on board is another.

It'll take time for them to reveal them though, I have a feeling they'll wait until more information about the console is out there for consumers next year.

Competition is healthy, I don't mind that some games are on Origin and Uplay only, it's not like I have to spend $400 to download Origin. They aren't close to Steam's level, they never will be, but it's whatever.

Although, I hate BF3/BF4/BFH's server browser. They are changing it, which is good, but I just never wanted to play Battlefield because of it.

The only one I have a genuine problem with is the Windows 10 Store. I have a few games downloaded from there, but I will NEVER purchase a game from them. I've got Halo 5, Forza 6, Forza Horizon 3 Demo, and MC: Story Mode's first 6 episodes were free for a limited time on there. but again, will never purchase from them. Already feel like I paid too much lol

So what happened with the Windows 10 Store? Because that's kind of disappointing if so, I kind of like the idea of buying a game once and being able to play it on multiple platforms. As someone who's been waiting for Xbox to do something similar to Sony's cross-play system, that sounded kinda neat.

• Brohoof 1

It'll take time for them to reveal them though, I have a feeling they'll wait until more information about the console is out there for consumers next year.

If they intend on releasing the console next March, time isn't going to be on their side.

• Brohoof 1

What do you mean by that? Since the console comes out before the next generation of all the competition, I think Nintendo has a lot of time.

The console comes out next March and they only revealed the first bits of information a couple of weeks ago with nothing more becoming known until January. If Nintendo want to give the Switch plenty of hype, they needed to have revealed the first information a lot sooner than they did. Still, if they bombard fans with enough information in the first quarter of 2017, that should hopefully be enough.

As for the competition, Sony and Microsoft don't really need to bring out new consoles which is why they're going with upgrades to their current ones. They might change their position if the Switch proves successful. Right now, Nintendo isn't in the best position--even though they have lots of money--so they had no choice but to move onto the Switch and effectively abandon the Wii U.

• Brohoof 1

The console comes out next March and they only revealed the first bits of information a couple of weeks ago with nothing more becoming known until January. If Nintendo want to give the Switch plenty of hype, they needed to have revealed the first information a lot sooner than they did. Still, if they bombard fans with enough information in the first quarter of 2017, that should hopefully be enough.

As for the competition, Sony and Microsoft don't really need to bring out new consoles which is why they're going with upgrades to their current ones. They might change their position if the Switch proves successful. Right now, Nintendo isn't in the best position--even though they have lots of money--so they had no choice but to move onto the Switch and effectively abandon the Wii U.

To be honest, I think keeping fans on the edge for a while was a good move, because until the reveal there was tons of discussion and news reports trying to imagine what Nintendo's next console will be, it was an exciting thing to think about, and still is. It's basically word of mouth, which is free marketing before the console was even revealed.

Actually, Sony and Microsoft ARE bringing out new consoles, It's just they're sticking with upgrading old consoles until It's ready. Have we forgotten about the Xbox Scorpio? Upgrading your old console is something you'll wanna do before releasing the next console so that they can still get more console sale money in the meantime while they work on their next consoles. However, I do see a lack of need for console generations in the future, they're saying the power of the components to the Xbox Scorpio will eliminate the need to even have generations anymore, and I bet Sony will follow suit with the PS5 or whatever they make next. Granted I'll miss having console generations, but I see it as something to look forward to, and I think Nintendo will continue to go the old route.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I think keeping fans on the edge for a while was a good move, because until the reveal there was tons of discussion and news reports trying to imagine what Nintendo's next console will be, it was an exciting thing to think about, and still is. It's basically word of mouth, which is free marketing before the console was even revealed.

Actually, Sony and Microsoft ARE bringing out new consoles, It's just they're sticking with upgrading old consoles until It's ready. Have we forgotten about the Xbox Scorpio? Upgrading your old console is something you'll wanna do before releasing the next console so that they can still get more console sale money in the meantime while they work on their next consoles. However, I do see a lack of need for console generations in the future, they're saying the power of the components to the Xbox Scorpio will eliminate the need to even have generations anymore, and I bet Sony will follow suit with the PS5 or whatever they make next. Granted I'll miss having console generations, but I see it as something to look forward to, and I think Nintendo will continue to go the old route.

That's what I meant about the upgrades. They aren't new consoles per say but altered versions of what they have that can be sold as a new console without them actually being as such. With regards to the generations thing, as long as technology continues to improve, we won't be seeing the limit when it comes to what video game systems can really do. The same can also be said about PC gaming and using mobile phones.

Nintendo going the old route... They may have to change that stance even if they don't want to go through with it. Technically, they already have been changing by accepting the standards of the industry despite being a bit late for it.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, they showed off Skyrim in the trailer.

Bethesda came out after the trailer and mentioned that they weren't confirming any games for the Switch. Somewhat an odd thing for them to do, but I hope the Switch gets Skyrim. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I'll say this here and now, I can only see the Switch become very successful because of this risky move Nintendo is making, and I LOVE IT! :D

In case any of you missed it. I recently made a blog concerning my experience with previewing the Switch in Toronto not too long ago here:

https://mlpforums.com/blog/2315/entry-21822-i-was-at-the-toronto-nintendo-switch-preview-tour-d/

• Brohoof 2

I can already tell it will at least do better than the Wii U. The reveal trailer has more views than the Wii U sales lol.

It succeeding would depend on the marketing and the games. The marketing is really good right now and I think it's really smart that Switch is getting a Super Bowl commercial. What made the Wii U marketing bad was a combination of no effort getting it aware for a general audience, and alienating this general audience with very pandering trailers. For the games, if they can get more 3rd party games as popular as Skyrim on the Switch while having the edge of being able to play this version of the 3rd party games on the go, then I say it can sell well.

• Brohoof 4

I really like its hybrid concept.

People argue that its graphics are bad and dont improve the Wiiu graphics that were bad already, but it amazes me how the switch being that thin and small can run a game like the new zelda. its like people forgot that the console is the tablet and not the dock. and wanted for that lil tablet more graphics than PS4??

I like the desing looks classy and not like a toy like nintendo's old consoles.

I would like the desing more if the joy cons were all black like the tablet, but well.

The screen looks amazing. With the Wii U I basically just play off-tv with the gamepad and i admit it looks pale and with less colour. Pretty bad imo. Luckyly with the switch its not the case, it looks amazing.

Not a fan of the online paid services, and less when Nintendo doesnt have THAT many grames that use them. Mario Kart, Splatoon, ARMS, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Pokemon..Hope with switch they decide to finally make online modes to Mario Party.

Just today Nintendo's president said that the online service will cost annually in japan 2,000 yen to 3,000 yen ($17,60 to $26.40). At least its cheaper than PS4/Xbox but still... plus Switch online bonus games and voice chat etc is a mess. I'll just wait for when tey tell the official western prices and all online features.

I can already tell it will at least do better than the Wii U. The reveal trailer has more views than the Wii U sales lol.

It succeeding would depend on the marketing and the games. The marketing is really good right now and I think it's really smart that Switch is getting a Super Bowl commercial. What made the Wii U marketing bad was a combination of no effort getting it aware for a general audience, and alienating this general audience with very pandering trailers. For the games, if they can get more 3rd party games as popular as Skyrim on the Switch while having the edge of being able to play this version of the 3rd party games on the go, then I say it can sell well.

I totally agree with that! i love the new marketing! it amazes how well they are doing it, knowing how cringeable the Wii U promos were lmao thats a huge step. 

Here the Super Bowl AD C.B was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDkrkykvZs

here's the expanded version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

and the other new ad 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1r369yv2Uk

Edited by Tropico
  • Brohoof 1

I admit im not overly optimistic about the Switch but i'll agree with many of you guys and say I think it will be far more successful than the Wii U.

While I know Nintendo is locking in much better 3rd party titles its the hardware again(like the Wii U) that is off putting to me. Maybe im just used to the idea of a standard home console but the fact its also trying to be this portable gaming machine seems...unnecessary. Its like when the Wii U came out and Nintendo was advertising the pad being able to effortlessly switch between playing from a TV to the pad screen(for whatever reason). I have no idea who acctaully did that but I dont know of anyone who preferred to play their Wii U on the pad over the TV. And thats what has got me a little confused about the Switch. Just who exactly are they marketing this portability gimmick to? I mean they arnt replacing the 3DS so if you want to play games on the go you would probably prefer that over the bulky Switch. And I dont know WHO is going to be carrying their switch around just in case they want to play party games with no screen. I mean I like the idea but I have to think practically if it would ever be used.

So far all im getting from the Switch is an under powered console with a portability feature and i'm not sure if people will acctaully utilized the portability. Still if they lock in those killer apps it doesnt particularly matter what gimmicks they throw at us. We'll still buy it.

I have no idea who acctaully did that but I dont know of anyone who preferred to play their Wii U on the pad over the TV.

Since i didnt have a TV or monitor to play, i used it always lmao but as i said, it looks so much worse on the gamepad so yeah tv better.

i know more people in my position

Just who exactly are they marketing this portability gimmick to? I mean they arnt replacing the 3DS so if you want to play games on the go you would probably prefer that over the bulky Switch.

Now I dont even carry my 3DS outside. less even play it. I only take it outside when Im going to the GAME shop (for the street passes and Nintendo Zone sometimes) [and i dont use to go] or if I go to a freaky anime/manga/whatever convention (and that was years ago). Sometimes Ive played it while at the bus (not the short trajects), but it was not the usual.

With the switch I dont think I'll carry it outside either. 3DS had streetpass and that was an incentive for me, but the switch it seems it doesnt have that either so wtf

For me the portability will be more playing in my bed, then in the living room, the balcony... xD 

I did that sometimes with the wii U but carrying arround all the console + cables its kinda tiring xD

• Brohoof 1

Well, there is only one month remaining before the Nintendo Switch is released, and so far from what I have been seeing from various commenters online, the general consensus is that the console is a mixed bag.

• Brohoof 1

My opinion of the console itself only decreased with the presentation. Nintendo has failed to address any of the concerns that people have had with their systems for years. You can't even really claim that the third party support is strong. It's all smoke and mirrors. Years old titles being ported being what is considered third party support is silly. This is 100% what happened with the Wii U. 100%.

Not that I personally care about third party support. I mean, if Kingdom Hearts III was confirmed for the Switch that would be nice, but it's too late - I already bought my PS4. And guess what? It wasn't.

What bothered me was Nintendo changing the online to a paid online service. Um. No. What in the world made Nintendo think that they are in any position whatsoever to even consider such a thing? People have complained about Nintendo's online for so long. What did they do in this presentation to address that? Nothing. They said "Online's going to be paid." and that was it. What a slap in the face. Paid online is bad, anyway. No matter who does it. We already pay for so many services. When I saw that I'd have to pay to play online with Playstation 4 I said screw it. Just not even worth it. It's sad.

With that said, I was thoroughly impressed with the direction they took with Super Mario Odyssey. Seems like Nintendo still has the capacity to put their hearts into games and create something less stagnant. The Mario series (in every single franchise being put out) had become the definition of bad direction and stagnation. The 3D Mario series did not at all look like it was going to break this trend, with talk of a Super Mario Galaxy 3. I'm so happy that Nintendo didn't go with Galaxy 3. If Galaxy 3 had been announced instead of Odyssey, my faith in the Mario franchise would be dead.

Super Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors are the only titles of interest announced (and exclusive) for the system. Breath of the Wild looks incredible, but I have a Wii U. I will be getting it on the system I already have, thank you very much.

Breath of the Wild is what Nintendo is hinging the success of the system's launch, and it's a Wii U game. Lol.

I'll be blunt. I don't see this system succeeding.

Since i didnt have a TV or monitor to play, i used it always lmao but as i said, it looks so much worse on the gamepad so yeah tv better.

For me the portability will be more playing in my bed, then in the living room, the balcony... xD 

I did that sometimes with the wii U but carrying arround all the console + cables its kinda tiring xD

I suppose that makes sense given your situation. Although I would have to guess you're in the minority for not having some kind of display to play it on. I dont think i'd ever bother getting a game system without a TV to attach it to. Even if it did have the portable feature i'd feel too constricted by a 6.2 inch monitor if I knew I could play it in higher definition.

But I guess the ease of playing it around the house in a comfortable space does have a minor advantage. I think in my head when I think of a gaming setup my first thought is this

20-video-game-room-furniture-homebnc.jpg

...so thats what im thinking everyone has and I guess thats not the case.

• Brohoof 3

@@SONICchaos WOW I love your gamming setup! HOLLY MOLLY ITS ASWEOME  :wub: also a doggo ♥♥

love your retro consoles so much. I still have my N64 too, its something xD

(I had TV at first but i later i when i moved i didnt have any for a more than year, so thats why  :ninja: I have one now yay)

• Brohoof 1

I am so very excited for the Nintendo Switch! I think Nintendo really looked at the community and built a new concept on videogaming! I would love the idea to not stop playing my game because I have to leave the house, and it would be fun to invite friends I don't see often to go out to eat and then sit at the table and play a game. It is also very laid back and easy to be a casual gamer or a hardcore gamer with this system. Plus, it is very affordable and it sounds like it would be very durable as well!

I suppose that makes sense given your situation. Although I would have to guess you're in the minority for not having some kind of display to play it on. I dont think i'd ever bother getting a game system without a TV to attach it to. Even if it did have the portable feature i'd feel too constricted by a 6.2 inch monitor if I knew I could play it in higher definition.

But I guess the ease of playing it around the house in a comfortable space does have a minor advantage. I think in my head when I think of a gaming setup my first thought is this

sig-4804643.20-video-game-room-furniture

...so thats what im thinking everyone has and I guess thats not the case.

WOW! This setup is awesome! I would love to have this when I finish college!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

It's expensive and I already have a console, I also don't really need a mobile console either because I have tablets. That's why I never owned a Switch before and still don't.

On 2017-02-01 at 6:18 PM, Envy said:

I'll be blunt. I don't see this system succeeding.

I was wrong! It succeeded. Financial success does not make a console great, though. To this day, the Switch is still weighed down by many of the issues I mentioned in the post above.

I will say that the system is exceptionally comfortable and so convenient to play in handheld mode, which makes me wish that everything else about the console was better.