Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Guess people who spent so much money on them are probably feeling relieved knowing their collection will be carried over into the next generation.

Yeah, I had a feeling Nintendo wouldn't just let the Amiibo craze end. Though that does bring up the question of how they're going to make it compatible, they never explained that...

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I had a feeling Nintendo wouldn't just let the Amiibo craze end. Though that does bring up the question of how they're going to make it compatible, they never explained that...

It will probably be brought up next year when they reveal more information.

Oh, and I have this in case anyone doesn't know about it yet.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/24/nintendo-switch-not-backwards-compatible-with-physical-3ds-or-wii-u-games

• Brohoof 1

It will probably be brought up next year when they reveal more information.

Oh, and I have this in case anyone doesn't know about it yet.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/24/nintendo-switch-not-backwards-compatible-with-physical-3ds-or-wii-u-games

Oh, and there's also this...

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/nintendo-switch-patents-secrets

Yay

• Brohoof 1

I heard that there were additional secrets but I never knew where to find them. Between our two articles, I think we've gotten everyone covered so that they don't have to look. Still, it's sad that physical or digital Wii U games won't work for the Switch, but perhaps a different kind of digital will suffice.

• Brohoof 1

I heard that there were additional secrets but I never knew where to find them. Between our two articles, I think we've gotten everyone covered so that they don't have to look. Still, it's sad that physical or digital Wii U games won't work for the Switch, but perhaps a different kind of digital will suffice.

Again, they can do ports or make them available via Virtual Console.

• Brohoof 1

My biggest concern would be storage space. The Nvidia Shield Tablet, which was the spiritual predecessor to the Nintendo Switch, had only 16gb of storage, which would be a concern if the Switch has a similar storage space, as the Xbox One and PS4 have a minimum of 500GB storage.

• Brohoof 1

Again, they can do ports or make them available via Virtual Console.

I think that might be their only option for those who missed out on the Wii U experience.

• Brohoof 1

My biggest concern would be storage space. The Nvidia Shield Tablet, which was the spiritual predecessor to the Nintendo Switch, had only 16gb of storage, which would be a concern if the Switch has a similar storage space, as the Xbox One and PS4 have a minimum of 500GB storage.

I don't think It'll only have 16gb, no console's ever been that ridiculously small spaced.

I think that might be their only option for those who missed out on the Wii U experience.

Yeah, guess so, even then, they would have to find a compromise for not having the gamepad.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think It'll only have 16gb, no console's ever been that ridiculously small spaced.

Yeah, guess so, even then, they would have to find a compromise for not having the gamepad.

They might need to explain how Wii U games would work without the Game Pad as it was an essential component.

• Brohoof 1

They might need to explain how Wii U games would work without the Game Pad as it was an essential component.

Well, let's take a look at what ports we already know are coming. I can see Splatoon working, all the Wii U really did for that was the gyroscope camera. I haven't played Mario Kart 8 though, so I don't know about that one.

• Brohoof 1

Well, let's take a look at what ports we already know are coming. I can see Splatoon working, all the Wii U really did for that was the gyroscope camera. I haven't played Mario Kart 8 though, so I don't know about that one.

Mario Kart 8 didn't really use the Game Pad all that much aside from showing a course map and your character's icon which could be pressed to beep the horn of your kart.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that's all good I guess.

So Mario Kart 8 can easily be ported over to the Switch, yet the DLC will have to be included otherwise people are going to complain about having to pay and download it again.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So Mario Kart 8 can easily be ported over to the Switch, yet the DLC will have to be included otherwise people are going to complain about having to pay and download it again.

To be honest, I don't mind if they release the DLC separately, but it would be nice I guess. Here's the thing, not everyone who owns a Switch will have owned a Wii U, so Nintendo still needs to make sure they get their DLC money for Switch users somehow. Something like that worries me because I don't want to see Nintendo get into the same trend as other companies nowadays, where they release a game only to release a version of it later which has all the content for the same price, so that essentially made buying the original game and It's DLC both more expensive and pointless too. That's how I got tricked by Mortal Kombat X, which got an XL edition later on.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

To be honest, I don't mind if they release the DLC separately, but it would be nice I guess. Here's the thing, not everyone who owns a Switch will have owned a Wii U, so Nintendo still needs to make sure they get their DLC money for Switch users somehow. Something like that worries me because I don't want to see Nintendo get into the same trend as other companies nowadays, where they release a game only to release a version of it later which has all the content for the same price, so that essentially made buying the original game and It's DLC both more expensive and pointless too. That's how I got tricked by Mortal Kombat X, which got an XL edition later on.

I know what you're saying. In fact, that's something I don't want to see Nintendo do either, but at the same time they do have to appeal to those who paid for the DLC in the first place. I'd see this as another situation that results in a lose-lose situation.

• Brohoof 1

I know what you're saying. In fact, that's something I don't want to see Nintendo do either, but at the same time they do have to appeal to those who paid for the DLC in the first place. I'd see this as another situation that results in a lose-lose situation.

Wait, since the Switch will most likely have online features and let you link up your Nintendo account to it, why don't they do with the same thing they did with Smash for Wii U and 3DS, and allow you to play the DLC you purchase on both systems, except instead of making a combo pack that costs more, simply allow it normally. So for example, say Breath Of The Wild got DLC and you bought that DLC on Wii U, it would also allow you to access the same DLC on the Switch because you bought it on the Wii U.

• Brohoof 1

Wait, since the Switch will most likely have online features and let you link up your Nintendo account to it, why don't they do with the same thing they did with Smash for Wii U and 3DS, and allow you to play the DLC you purchase on both systems, except instead of making a combo pack that costs more, simply allow it normally. So for example, say Breath Of The Wild got DLC and you bought that DLC on Wii U, it would also allow you to access the same DLC on the Switch because you bought it on the Wii U.

With Super Smash Bros., if you got the DLC for the Wii U for example, you couldn't transfer it over to the 3DS. You had to buy that if you wanted to use that content for the handheld version. That's why there were three different DLC options every time it became available: One for the Wii U, one for the 3DS, and both together for those who owned both versions. The latter one costs a little bit more because you're getting it on two systems at once. Hyrule Warriors is now doing the same thing between its two versions, yet Legends for the 3DS is getting the better end of the deal with more content.

I believe that's how it works for Smash.

Edited by Ganondorf8
  • Brohoof 1

With Super Smash Bros., if you got the DLC for the Wii U for example, you couldn't transfer it over to the 3DS. You had to buy that if you wanted to use that content for the handheld version. That's why there were three different DLC options every time it became available: One for the Wii U, one for the 3DS, and both together for those who owned both versions. The latter one costs a little bit more because you're getting it on two systems at once. 

Actually the bundle was intended for those who have both Wii U and 3DS versions of Smash. And actually costs less, not more.

For example: the price of a single DLC fighter like Mewtwo was $3.99 for one version or the other. If bought separately, you'd paid close to $8. But the bundle for both versions is actually $4.99. You actually save roughly $3.00 per DLC fighter. The bundle comes with a download code that is entered in the other version to unlock the character for no charge. It's right there in the receipt after the download. And can easily be looked up by going to account activity in the Nintendo eShop.

It would take me a while to calculate the money I've save from buying the 2-version bundles of everything that got released over the years, but my point is you're wrong about how "The 3rd one costs a little bit more because you're getting it on two systems at once." It actually  cost more when the Wii U version and the 3DS of the same item are purchased separately. $3.99 (Mewtwo for Wii U) + $3.99 (Mewtwo for 3DS)= $7.98, which costs more than $4.99(Mewtwo for Wii U/3DS Bundle) Pay for one, get a download code for the other version for free.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 2

Actually the bundle was intended for those who have both Wii U and 3DS versions of Smash. And actually costs less, not more.

For example: the price of a single DLC fighter like Mewtwo was $3.99 for one version or the other. If bought separately, you'd paid close to $8. But the bundle for both versions is actually $4.99. You actually save roughly $3.00 per DLC fighter. The bundle comes with a download code that is entered in the other version to unlock the character for no charge. It's right there in the receipt after the download. And can easily be looked up by going to account activity in the Nintendo eShop.

It would take me a while to calculate the money I've save from buying the 2-version bundles of everything that got released over the years, but my point is you're wrong about how "The 3rd one costs a little bit more because you're getting it on two systems at once." It actually  cost more when the Wii U version and the 3DS of the same item are purchased separately. $3.99 (Mewtwo for Wii U) + $3.99 (Mewtwo for 3DS)= $7.98, which costs more than $4.99(Mewtwo for Wii U/3DS Bundle) Pay for one, get a download code for the other version for free.

So that's how it works then? I didn't really know since I only bought the Wii U version.

Thanks for clarifying. :sunshower: 

What I said with regards to Hyrule Warriors is correct as I have both versions of that game, yet all you can transfer from the 3DS to the Wii U are the five initial new characters for free if you have the code included with Legends. If not then you have to pay if you want to use them even though it's kind of pointless since all DLC characters in Warriors don't get to do anything apart from Free Mode.

Edited by Ganondorf8
  • Brohoof 2

With Super Smash Bros., if you got the DLC for the Wii U for example, you couldn't transfer it over to the 3DS. You had to buy that if you wanted to use that content for the handheld version. That's why there were three different DLC options every time it became available: One for the Wii U, one for the 3DS, and both together for those who owned both versions. The latter one costs a little bit more because you're getting it on two systems at once. Hyrule Warriors is now doing the same thing between its two versions, yet Legends for the 3DS is getting the better end of the deal with more content.

So that's how it works then? I didn't really know since I only bought the Wii U version.

Thanks for clarifying. :sunshower:

What I said with regards to Hyrule Warriors is correct as I have both versions of that game, yet all you can transfer from the 3DS to the Wii U are the five initial new characters for free if you have the code included with Legends. If not then you have to pay if you want to use them even though it's kind of pointless since all DLC characters in Warriors don't get to do anything apart from Free Mode.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. If people are getting worried about whether their DLC would carry over, they should do what they did with those games but without the extra cost to buy it on another system, just have one buyable DLC version (or 2 if they have to be built differently depending on the console or something) and do it that way. If you aren't aware @Ganondorf8 the two system thing works by checking the receipt in the eShop on the second system you're using and then it will allow you to download it. At least I think that's how it works.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. If people are getting worried about whether their DLC would carry over, they should do what they did with those games but without the extra cost to buy it on another system, just have one buyable DLC version (or 2 if they have to be built differently depending on the console or something) and do it that way. If you aren't aware @Ganondorf8 the two system thing works by checking the receipt in the eShop on the second system you're using and then it will allow you to download it. At least I think that's how it works.

Some DLC is more expansive than others. With Mario Kart 8, you don't really need the DLC to play the game properly, the same can be said with the DLC for Smash. The DLC for Hyrule Warriors though is different. It's needed in order to get the full experience otherwise you're missing out on almost half of the game.

• Brohoof 1

Some DLC is more expansive than others. With Mario Kart 8, you don't really need the DLC to play the game properly, the same can be said with the DLC for Smash. The DLC for Hyrule Warriors though is different. It's needed in order to get the full experience otherwise you're missing out on almost half of the game.

Seriously, half the game? Tell me more!

• Brohoof 1

Seriously, half the game? Tell me more!

The Adventure Mode consists of five maps that have a number of panels with a challenge in each panel. They take roughly fifteen minutes to complete and the number of panels varies from map to map. Two maps have 128 panels, another one has roughly 98, another has about 91, and the last has eight because its a rewards map.

In Legends, there are five additional maps that the Wii U version doesn't get, and those have between 80-114 panels in each. The last map isn't available yet but will be by the end of the year.

• Brohoof 1