Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

I don't play Steam or mobile games. I think the Switch is competing with mobile games, and it is competing with Nintendo DS. The DS would presumably be discontinued but there would still be competition for a while. This could hurt their sales. They need exclusive games and not ports of games I can play on the WiiU.

• Brohoof 2

Guess It's a lose lose situation.

All video game companies suffer from this. Never set yourself a specific release window. You never know what can happen that will cause it to be changed.

• Brohoof 1

I don't play Steam or mobile games. I think the Switch is competing with mobile games, and it is competing with Nintendo DS. The DS would presumably be discontinued but there would still be competition for a while. This could hurt their sales. They need exclusive games and not ports of games I can play on the WiiU.

Nintendo have announced they won't be discontinuing the DS line: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nintendo-switch-will-not-replace-3ds-which-will-have-new-handheld-successor-future-564513

The Switch and DS are made by the same company, there's no competition. Besides, there's still a lot of potential for the DS despite the Switch reveal like the double screen and stylus, there's still a lot they can do with that. Also, I think saying Switch is competing with mobile games is ridiculous because the Switch obviously wins in the gaming department. What would you rather do, spend a few hours and possibly cash playing a mediocre puzzle game/some free to play waiting simulator etc. or spend a few hours playing Zelda Breath Of The Wild. I understand people have different tastes, and It's fine if you enjoy those games, heck, I play a lot of Temple Run and the MLP Gameloft game when I feel like it, but in terms of raw value and entertainment, I believe a full console game is much more fun to play than most mobile games out there. There's no competition there.

All video game companies suffer from this. Never set yourself a specific release window. You never know what can happen that will cause it to be changed.

Guess so... Nintendo usually stick to their release windows right?

I'll probably buy it when it comes out, I'm interested due to the trailer shown for Splatoon 2.

Little side note, I'm not sure that's actually Splatoon 2, it could just be an enhanced port with new features, because it doesn't seem different enough to be some kind of sequel.

• Brohoof 1

Guess so... Nintendo usually stick to their release windows right?

Most of the time they do but there have been times where they had to delay games for lengthy periods of time. Twilight Princess got delayed several times that it was pushed from 2004 to 2006. Breath of the Wild was meant to be released this year but has been delayed until next year to coincide with the release of the Switch. In their eyes, they delay games in order to provide the best experience possible for gamers to enjoy. Do the fans appreciate this? Not usually.

• Brohoof 1

Most of the time they do but there have been times where they had to delay games for lengthy periods of time. Twilight Princess got delayed several times that it was pushed from 2004 to 2006. Breath of the Wild was meant to be released this year but has been delayed until next year to coincide with the release of the Switch. In their eyes, they delay games in order to provide the best experience possible for gamers to enjoy. Do the fans appreciate this? Not usually.

Some people can be really impatient. You see, that's what I like about Nintendo, they make sure their game is finished and fun before you play it, something you can't trust most AAA developers to do nowadays, plus Nintendo doesn't do stupid DLC practices where they cut stuff out of the game to sell later... Apart from Smash Bros.

• Brohoof 1

Some people can be really impatient. You see, that's what I like about Nintendo, they make sure their game is finished and fun before you play it, something you can't trust most AAA developers to do nowadays, plus Nintendo doesn't do stupid DLC practices where they cut stuff out of the game to sell later... Apart from Smash Bros.

Splatoon was also guilty of the same thing. The game wasn't seen as complete because the DLC provided more maps, weapons, and I think some additional game modes, and reviewers made a note of that when it came out. Their opinions of the game changed once everything became available.

But, it is true that gamers are impatient. They just want to play the newest games now instead of later.

• Brohoof 1

Splatoon was also guilty of the same thing. The game wasn't seen as complete because the DLC provided more maps, weapons, and I think some additional game modes, and reviewers made a note of that when it came out. Their opinions of the game changed once everything became available.

But, it is true that gamers are impatient. They just want to play the newest games now instead of later.

To be honest, I don't think that's as bad. Think of it like early access games on Steam. Splatoon got better over time, but since the DLC was basically just free updates no-one really minded that much, and I'm part of that crows.

• Brohoof 1

I think it looks awesome. It's definitely something that me and my fiancee can enjoy during the honeymoon.

I SAW THAT, SWEETIE!!!!!

She said kinda right though. I think it's pretty cool too.

• Brohoof 2

To be honest, I don't think that's as bad. Think of it like early access games on Steam. Splatoon got better over time, but since the DLC was basically just free updates no-one really minded that much, and I'm part of that crows.

True but the fact that it wasn't there at the start when it first came out is what people complained about. They also complained about how some things were locked and required an amiibo to break the lock, but that's another story altogether. Smash Bros. was definitely problematic when it came to the DLC. It took about a year and a couple of months before we got everything. Most games have DLC come out in a span of several months for the lot of it depending on the game. Maybe Nintendo will learn from this and make it more accessible in the future.

• Brohoof 1

True but the fact that it wasn't there at the start when it first came out is what people complained about. They also complained about how some things were locked and required an amiibo to break the lock, but that's another story altogether. Smash Bros. was definitely problematic when it came to the DLC. It took about a year and a couple of months before we got everything. Most games have DLC come out in a span of several months for the lot of it depending on the game. Maybe Nintendo will learn from this and make it more accessible in the future.

Well, if there weren't Amiibo exclusive unlocks that would defeat the purpose of Amiibo. I'm not surprised Nintendo dragged out the DLC for Smash Bros for Wii U considering the hype surrounding each game. I did buy some DLC and found it a little not worth It's asking price though, I don't think It's the games fault, it looks really well done and competent, but I just couldn't get used to the controls. So when Super Smash Bros for Switch is inevitably announced I'm probably gonna skip out on it.

I'm excited for it, mostly because it looks really good. Plus it doesn't look like a Fisher Price toy like the Wii or the Wii U. If the price is fantastic, I'll get it for sure!

You just made me imagine a Fisher Price style Wii U commercial XD

• Brohoof 2

Well, if there weren't Amiibo exclusive unlocks that would defeat the purpose of Amiibo. I'm not surprised Nintendo dragged out the DLC for Smash Bros for Wii U considering the hype surrounding each game. I did buy some DLC and found it a little not worth It's asking price though, I don't think It's the games fault, it looks really well done and competent, but I just couldn't get used to the controls. So when Super Smash Bros for Switch is inevitably announced I'm probably gonna skip out on it.

I ended up getting all of the DLC for Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U only, yet I'll admit that I've only used a couple of the characters and Mii costumes. I have used the new stages extensively because they are so much fun to battle on. DLC for Smash should have come out across a three month span and not just over a year like they did. I would attribute that to some poor planning on their part, and I hope they learn from this.

With regards to Amiibo, the ones for Smash have been huge hits, but I don't think other Amiibo for other games have been as successful. I believe Splatoon had one of the successful Amiibo sales.

• Brohoof 1

I ended up getting all of the DLC for Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U only, yet I'll admit that I've only used a couple of the characters and Mii costumes. I have used the new stages extensively because they are so much fun to battle on. DLC for Smash should have come out across a three month span and not just over a year like they did. I would attribute that to some poor planning on their part, and I hope they learn from this.

With regards to Amiibo, the ones for Smash have been huge hits, but I don't think other Amiibo for other games have been as successful. I believe Splatoon had one of the successful Amiibo sales.

Yeah, It's just too bad Nintendo are AWFUL at keeping the things stocked.

• Brohoof 1

That has been the worst aspect of Amiibo. Nintendo weren't expecting them to be such a huge hit, and that is due to people getting them as collectible figurines as opposed to getting them for their intended purpose. Some Amiibo were only available in a certain manner, and boy did that end up biting them in the flank. When Ganondorf's Amiibo came out last September, I had to wait until two weeks before Christmas before I could get one. No one had him in stock until then.

• Brohoof 1

They've actually gotten better about it lately, most stores near where I live have had healthy stocks of amiibo of even guys like Lucas and Ness, and my Best Buy recently got flooded with Lucinas

• Brohoof 2

That has been the worst aspect of Amiibo. Nintendo weren't expecting them to be such a huge hit, and that is due to people getting them as collectible figurines as opposed to getting them for their intended purpose. Some Amiibo were only available in a certain manner, and boy did that end up biting them in the flank. When Ganondorf's Amiibo came out last September, I had to wait until two weeks before Christmas before I could get one. No one had him in stock until then.

Originally I was going to start collecting Amiibo, but when I saw how ridiculous the prices can get for the things online because of scammers I pretty much gave up and only own one which came with my Wii U anyway.

They've actually gotten better about it lately, most stores near where I live have had healthy stocks of amiibo of even guys like Lucas and Ness, and my Best Buy recently got flooded with Lucinas

Well, that's nice to hear I guess.

We won't know until Nintendo releases more info in most likely in January.

Does anyone know if the Switch will have cellular so you can play mobile?

We don't know yet, but I think cellular would be a pretty bad idea...

• Brohoof 1

Originally I was going to start collecting Amiibo, but when I saw how ridiculous the prices can get for the things online because of scammers I pretty much gave up and only own one which came with my Wii U anyway.

I never planned on getting all of the Amiibo as I knew it was going to be an impossible task. That's why I only went for the one that appealed to me the most, Ganondorf. I also have Link, Samus, Sonic, and Mewtwo, all of whom were birthday and Christmas gifts.

• Brohoof 1

I never planned on getting all of the Amiibo as I knew it was going to be an impossible task. That's why I only went for the one that appealed to me the most, Ganondorf. I also have Link, Samus, Sonic, and Mewtwo, all of whom were birthday and Christmas gifts.

That's cool I guess. After all, good luck finding Gold Mario nowadays...

• Brohoof 1

That's cool I guess. After all, good luck finding Gold Mario nowadays...

That one is just the regular Mario Amiibo but in a different colour so I have no interest in it. I believe Amiibo are going to be compatible with the Switch since we did see them in the trailer despite not actually being used.

• Brohoof 1

That one is just the regular Mario Amiibo but in a different colour so I have no interest in it. I believe Amiibo are going to be compatible with the Switch since we did see them in the trailer despite not actually being used.

That was confirmed in an article, so yes.

• Brohoof 1

That was confirmed in an article, so yes.

Guess people who spent so much money on them are probably feeling relieved knowing their collection will be carried over into the next generation.

• Brohoof 1