Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Yeah, I suppose their innovations weren't all that bad but they did come across as a forced way to set themselves apart from the competition and they kind of distanced themselves from the good old fashioned gameplay they used to be known for. I kind of like the dual screen and touch control aspect of the 3DS but that setup allowed for traditional gameplay just as well as something more innovative so I never had an issue with it.

Of course, if Ninty wants to simulate b/c with the DS/3DS, Wii and Wii U they clearly had their work cut out for them and found the only solution that could possibly work for all of the above. It's actually kind of amazing and required a lot of creativity. Compared to that, simulating console games on a tv and old single-screen handheld titles on the detachable device would be a breeze. Size wise it looks like the tablet part is somewhere between the 3DS XL and the massive Wii U device. It looks like the idea was to find a size that's comfortable for travel but not too small either for Wii U games. Having a stand also allows for easy travel and setting up the detachable part as a screen while using the controller in the grip so that should work just fine for a travelling console gamer who isn't driving. It's probably ideal for flights, hotel rooms and even the occasional party. They clearly considered all angles when constructing this device. We'll have to wait for more details but it looks like they did their homework.

Very much agreed. I feel this might go well.

• Brohoof 2

So far it looks promising and I hope Nintendo has learned from what went wrong with the Wii U. I am looking forward to learning more about the console.

Having a strong launch line up combined with a consistent release schedule will do them wonders.

• Brohoof 3

You can say that again, am I right?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a good launch game, but we must remember that it was developed for the Wii U first, so technically, it's a port of a game being released on two consoles at the same time. A new Mario game is essential because Mario is the main mascot for the company so it makes sense to give him something new. From there, I expect a strong third party line-up that provides unique games created for the Switch and not cheap ports that tack on the Switch's concepts as an afterthought.

• Brohoof 2

Very much agreed. I feel this might go well.

As do I. Apparently the Switch won't play physical Wii U and 3DS games but that doesn't surprise me. I hope it will receive digital ports of Wii U games at least, as that's a system I passed on. I'm not parting with my 3DS so I suppose lack of b/c there isn't a big deal for me. I'll probably be willing to buy remastered ports of Wii U titles if that's the route Ninty decides on but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens there.
  • Brohoof 2

According to this twitter feed, we won't be getting anymore information regarding the Nintendo Switch until next year. However, this is only from Nintendo. Third party developers aren't included and so they could reveal something.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43572/nintendo-no-additional-switch-information-in-2016

• Brohoof 2

It looks good so far, but the battery life, how much can be stored on the game cartridges, and how long it'll get third party support will either make or break it.

Once there's more known about it, I'll probably get one.

• Brohoof 2

sig-4706586.giphy.gif

sig-4706586.5CFOMEr.gif

It's become memetic at least

OK, those are pretty funny, but I don't think the controller will be an issue...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a good launch game, but we must remember that it was developed for the Wii U first, so technically, it's a port of a game being released on two consoles at the same time. A new Mario game is essential because Mario is the main mascot for the company so it makes sense to give him something new. From there, I expect a strong third party line-up that provides unique games created for the Switch and not cheap ports that tack on the Switch's concepts as an afterthought.

Yeah, but I actually support Breath Of The Wild for doing that. Not everybody can afford to get the new system so It's nice to see Nintendo giving last gen owners new games too, though knowing them it won't last long... Let's get this out of the way, of course there's going to be a new Mario game, there's ALWAYS a new Mario game on any Nintendo console, It's a staple for them now. I'd also like to see at least a decent amount of new games too, but I can't deny that getting some more ports of older games to play on the go would be nice, maybe they can set up a virtual console market or something.

As do I. Apparently the Switch won't play physical Wii U and 3DS games but that doesn't surprise me. I hope it will receive digital ports of Wii U games at least, as that's a system I passed on. I'm not parting with my 3DS so I suppose lack of b/c there isn't a big deal for me. I'll probably be willing to buy remastered ports of Wii U titles if that's the route Ninty decides on but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens there.

I'm sure It'll be fine, as long as Nintendo delivers and ports over the games people want ported over from the Wii U, and it looks like they're doing that.

According to this twitter feed, we won't be getting anymore information regarding the Nintendo Switch until next year. However, this is only from Nintendo. Third party developers aren't included and so they could reveal something.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43572/nintendo-no-additional-switch-information-in-2016

To be honest I'd much prefer it if we at least got SOME more details before next year. There are a lot of things people are gonna wanna know about the system, I for one wanna know the price so I can plan how I'll save my money to get one, and at least what a few of the launch titles to be to pick and choose the ones I care about, Nintendo can't just keep us in the dark like this for so long.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, but I actually support Breath Of The Wild for doing that. Not everybody can afford to get the new system so It's nice to see Nintendo giving last gen owners new games too, though knowing them it won't last long... Let's get this out of the way, of course there's going to be a new Mario game, there's ALWAYS a new Mario game on any Nintendo console, It's a staple for them now. I'd also like to see at least a decent amount of new games too, but I can't deny that getting some more ports of older games to play on the go would be nice, maybe they can set up a virtual console market or something.

I'm sure It'll be fine, as long as Nintendo delivers and ports over the games people want ported over from the Wii U, and it looks like they're doing that.

The same thing happened with Twilight Princess. It was developed for the Gamecube first before it was moved to the Wii with both versions releasing at around the same time. I'm going to take a guess and say that the Switch version of Breath of the Wild will be a mirrored version of the Wii U version.

Wii U and 3DS games appear to be incompatible with the Switch--no backwards compatibility--so our best bet would be for the Wii U games--not sure on the 3DS games at this point--would be through ports or re-releases. The only caveat is DLC content. I don't think people will be willing to pay in order to download content all over again regarding the Wii U games.

• Brohoof 2

It looks good so far, but the battery life, how much can be stored on the game cartridges, and how long it'll get third party support will either make or break it.

Once there's more known about it, I'll probably get one.

Third party support Isn't everything, and there are cartridges nowadays that reach 1TB in size, however I do think battery life will be an issue...

• Brohoof 3

To be honest I'd much prefer it if we at least got SOME more details before next year. There are a lot of things people are gonna wanna know about the system, I for one wanna know the price so I can plan how I'll save my money to get one, and at least what a few of the launch titles to be to pick and choose the ones I care about, Nintendo can't just keep us in the dark like this for so long.

The price is probably going to be a big issue along with battery life. If I were to take a guess, I'd say the Switch would be priced at around $300 at the minimum. For it to be less than that would mean Nintendo were selling at a loss.

• Brohoof 2

The same thing happened with Twilight Princess. It was developed for the Gamecube first before it was moved to the Wii with both versions releasing at around the same time. I'm going to take a guess and say that the Switch version of Breath of the Wild will be a mirrored version of the Wii U version.

Wii U and 3DS games appear to be incompatible with the Switch--no backwards compatibility--so our best bet would be for the Wii U games--not sure on the 3DS games at this point--would be through ports or re-releases. The only caveat is DLC content. I don't think people will be willing to pay in order to download content all over again regarding the Wii U games.

Well, who knows. Let's wait and see.

Sure, there's no backwards compatibility physically with the use of cartridges instead of discs and all, but I'm talking downloadable titles. Besides, people don't seem to have a problem with them rereleasing Splatoon and Mario Kart 8, so I don't think It'll be too much of a hindrance as long as they add things to the Switch version that improve over the Wii U version, and it looks like they're doing that.

• Brohoof 2

Well, who knows. Let's wait and see.

Sure, there's no backwards compatibility physically with the use of cartridges instead of discs and all, but I'm talking downloadable titles. Besides, people don't seem to have a problem with them rereleasing Splatoon and Mario Kart 8, so I don't think It'll be too much of a hindrance as long as they add things to the Switch version that improve over the Wii U version, and it looks like they're doing that.

The rereleases should have previous DLC included for free, and maybe add in some new DLC that wasn't there before. That would certainly make people happy.

• Brohoof 3

The price is probably going to be a big issue along with battery life. If I were to take a guess, I'd say the Switch would be priced at around $300 at the minimum. For it to be less than that would mean Nintendo were selling at a loss.

I don't mean to brag, but to be honest, the price won't be an issue for me as long as I have time to plan out my savings, but I understand how for others they might not be able to afford it, or can and just don't agree with spending that much money on a console.

The rereleases should have previous DLC included for free, and maybe add in some new DLC that wasn't there before. That would certainly make people happy.

You know what, I think that might just work. But I guess we'll have to see what Nintendo does.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mean to brag, but to be honest, the price won't be an issue for me as long as I have time to plan out my savings, but I understand how for others they might not be able to afford it, or can and just don't agree with spending that much money on a console.

As a company, Nintendo have to earn money and that means not selling at a loss on their product. Sure they have plenty of money stashed away in their coffers, but unlike Sony and Microsoft, they are a gaming company and don't have much else to fall back on.

Again, $300 is just a guess and this is without any additional accessories included.

You know what, I think that might just work. But I guess we'll have to see what Nintendo does.

With them, you never know what will happen. They are infamous for keeping things close to their chests.

Edited by Ganondorf8
  • Brohoof 2

As a company, Nintendo have to earn money and that means not selling at a loss on their product. Sure they have plenty of money stashed away in their coffers, but unlike Sony and Microsoft, they are a gaming company and don't have much else to fall back on.

Again, $300 is just a guess and this is without any additional accessories included.

Oh yeah, that's another topic I think would be cool to discuss, what accessories do you think should be released on the system?

• Brohoof 2

Oh yeah, that's another topic I think would be cool to discuss, what accessories do you think should be released on the system?

Well, they do have a Classic Pro Controller in the works, so that's a good start since a lot of people liked that for the Wii U.

• Brohoof 2

Well, they do have a Classic Pro Controller in the works, so that's a good start since a lot of people liked that for the Wii U.

Is that the same one that comes with the system or is it something different? Forgive me, I never really used any extra controllers with the Wii U so I'm unfamiliar with the technology. The Wii U was actually my first home Nintendo console. I do have a Smash Bros one though, but sadly I need a Wiimote to use it, and I obviously don't have one.

• Brohoof 2

Is that the same one that comes with the system or is it something different? Forgive me, I never really used any extra controllers with the Wii U so I'm unfamiliar with the technology. The Wii U was actually my first home Nintendo console. I do have a Smash Bros one though, but sadly I need a Wiimote to use it, and I obviously don't have one.

It's going to be a separate controller since the main one will be the two pieces that can fit together according to what was shown in the trailer video yesterday.

• Brohoof 2

It's going to be a separate controller since the main one will be the two pieces that can fit together according to what was shown in the trailer video yesterday.

I'd have thought that would be bundled in with the system.

@The Nth Doctor I can't unsee the Switch being a toaster now.

Now all we need is for Nintendo to release "I AM BREAD" on the Switch XD

• Brohoof 2

I'd have thought that would be bundled in with the system.

The Wii U Pro Controller was sold separately from the two Wii U bundles, so I'm assuming the same will be true here. Again, this is all just speculation on my part. I could be completely and utterly wrong.

Speaking of bundles, I wonder if the Switch will have multiple versions? The Wii U had the 8GB and 32GB versions yet the latter proved to be superior given it had more storage. Would they try this tactic again?

• Brohoof 2