Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Background ponies these days

Steve Piranha

Hey guys, I've noticed this little detail about background ponies in recent seasons: No one is giving a peep about them :huh:. I mean, it's weird this is happening, considering we used to go bonkers for any little bit we seen on (former?) background horses, more prominently Bon Bon, Lyra, and Derpy; to the point these were given briefs characterization and fan nods. But now, seems we don't even notice the background ponies coming this season. 

When was the last time we go bonkers for a background pony doing something noteworthy? It was Pacific Glow early this season. Nevertheless, she was quickly forgotten. Nor we taken notice in Milie, who appeared back in S2 in Mare do Well with the first baby pony, and returned in Flutter Brutter. And no one even peeped that she COULD be Dinky's actual mother :huh:

• Brohoof 3

I noticed that too. The quality of background characters design improved significantly, we no longer have a bunch of the same identical ponies in a crowd and the amount of references in bg ponies has risen, but the fandom no longer scrutinized them. The number of “unnamed ponies” from the recent seasons is alarming. Maybe it is due to the increased number of secondary characters who steal all the attention. Or the fans just got spoiled (I hope that’s not true).

Background characters need more love. Or at least names. Do even have a BG ponies appreciation thread on this web-site?

• Brohoof 4

I love background ponies! Spotting Easter eggs in the background pony designs is my favourite part of watching new episodes :D 

Do even have a BG ponies appreciation thread on this web-site?

WE NEED ONE.

• Brohoof 1

The recent background ponies have been getting very creative in terms of their designs, but they've been ignored in favour of main and secondary characters taking centre stage within a given episode.

• Brohoof 2

With so much the writers can play with currently they have just not needed to expand upon the background characters much. It is a shame to, because I think there is a lot of interesting stuff there, or at least has the potential to be.

• Brohoof 1

The reason why such is not happening is because it is simply unimportant. They are just background ponies to aid the story and help it along.

Tell that to Bon Bon, Lyra, Derpy, Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, etc :dash:

The recent background ponies have been getting very creative in terms of their designs, but they've been ignored in favour of main and secondary characters taking centre stage within a given episode.

Which is weird. We used to give names and backgrounds to them in the early days despite the main and secondary characters always had the spotlight :huh:. I dunno why the sudden lack of interest, but it might be attributed to the lost of novelty of the overall world of FiM, or since we were pandered with Slice of Life, we got our dose of canon characterization of our favorite (former) background horses. HELL, LYRA AND BON BON HAVE THEIR OWN BOOK YO

With so much the writers can play with currently they have just not needed to expand upon the background characters much. It is a shame to, because I think there is a lot of interesting stuff there, or at least has the potential to be.

Nah, that expanding background horses was always OUR job  :orly:

• Brohoof 1

Which is weird. We used to give names and backgrounds to them in the early days despite the main and secondary characters always had the spotlight :huh:. I dunno why the sudden lack of interest, but it might be attributed to the lost of novelty of the overall world of FiM, or since we were pandered with Slice of Life, we got our dose of canon characterization of our favorite (former) background horses. HELL, LYRA AND BON BON HAVE THEIR OWN BOOK YO

Most background ponies either look too generic, too out there, or somewhere in-between. Maybe they lost their charm sometime after the 100th episode and just no longer have that appeal factor like they used to.

I do find it nice that legit characters with actual personalities are overshadowing literal props in the background without any narrative impact instead of the other way around.

Edited by cmarston1

Most background ponies either look too generic, too out there, or somewhere in-between. Maybe they lost their charm sometime after the 100th episode and just no longer have that appeal factor like they used to.

Yeah, I remember we were demanding spotlight for our favorite former BG horses for years and we got them. 

I do find it nice that legit characters with actual personalities are overshadowing literal props in the background without any narrative impact instead of the other way around.

No different than before though. Giving background, names and personality to BG ponies was always out job

• Brohoof 1

If I had to guess why I would say that people are more willing to give attention to generic backgrounds characters is so they can essentially create their own characters using templates from the show.

Maybe.

But, just as many of us want to see the lore of the show expanded upon, so to do many of like to see the cast expanded upon. The problem with fans adding backstory to a character, is not all of them agree, and as such you get all sorts of conflicting theories and ideas. Just because the character is not essential to the overall show, does not mean the character is useless, pointless or just a throw away sight gag. A lot of people, myself included, like to see the characters given names, personalities and a little bit of character within the show, because it gives the show more feeling, and more reality in a sense. Ponyville became sort of an almost real place... not because of the mane 6, but because of the other ponies that live there helping to flesh it out.

Obviously the show cannot cater to all of these characters, nor provide the backstory on any and every pony we all as individuals may like... however, I do think they should still have the main characters interacting with them from time to time if possible, and giving us small glimpses into their world just to continue to keep fleshing it out.They are still doing it, but it does seem to be slowly dwindling away.

Yeah, I remember we were demanding spotlight for our favorite former BG horses for years and we got them. 

Now that we've gotten that episode, it appears that we've lost all interest in the background ponies. What we assumed were their lives--head-canons--got debunked when "Slice of Life" showed us what their lives were really like. So now that interest has waned and background ponies have gotten even more ignored.