Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What are your favorite Britcoms.

BrawnyCharger

For me, it's Mr. Bean hands down without equal. I've watched the entire series more times than I can count along with the two movies that were made, and a special clip show that featured new footage at the time.

and how you guys seem to only know the classics. 

arent some of the jokes wasted on you lot too because you know that witty British humour and Brit in-jokes.

Well, in my case I listed the classics because I'm old. :P I have had serious recommendations for me to get on with watching Black Books and the IT Crowd, though. Also, I found an episode of a BBC Scotland show called Still Game which I thought was quite funny, if sometimes a little hard to understand through their accents.

As for the humour, well, although I'm Canadian, my Mum spent a year living in England before I was born and she also had a geat love of British t.v. shows. Lots of reruns of even older Britcoms (like On The Busses) or things like All Creatures Great and Small were playing all the time. Then of course I got into Monty Python and Doctor Who. I never had too much problem with regular British satire, but there was one in-joke that had me scratching my head at the time. There was an episode of Red Dwarf where the ship's computer, trying to describe how much of a lie a statement was, described it as "a load of Tottenham" and "a steaming pile of Hotspur". It wasn't until I later became a fan of Tottenham Hotspur myself and did some research into its history that I figured out what event must have triggered that line.

My parents are fans of All Creatures Great and Small, and To the Manor Born. Maybe I should try them.

Also my local PBS station has been showing As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearances for quite a few years.

All Creatures Great and Small isn't a comedy, but it's very good. And it stars the Minister for Magic and a Time Lord!

Edited by Red Cedar
  • Brohoof 1