Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If not on Ponies' flanks then where else would cutie marks be?

Miss

Well obviously cutie marks are on ponies' flanks, but let's say they weren't.

Where else would you want them to be? Or if you had to choose then where else?

I was thinking of other places but they all look funny. "Hey check out my cutie mark!" *raises head to show cutie mark on neck*

I guess on their face, cheek area would be the less awkward place ahaha

• Brohoof 1

If their cutie mark isn't on their flank then the next place should be either on their face or on their neck as tiny marks that are easy to recognize but don't necessarily take up too much space.

Maybe one place that is a bit difficult to do, around one of the eyes? Almost like a cool face tattoo. :3 Or maybe right next to one eye. Somewhere on the face like that.

A lot of toys seem to like placing them under their eye

They are on their flanks because ponies are so very open.  If ponies were more private then they would be in places that were easier to cover up // harder to casually see.

This discussion isn't "why are they on their flanks" the discussion is "if not on their flank then where?"

Perhaps on the center of their chest.

That's what I was thinking too, like my 2nd choice, but also kinda felt like it would be kinda funny looking XD

It would be cool if the cutie mark placement would match with their personalities.

For example, Twilight's cutie mark could be on her head (maybe under her horn) to match her intelligence.

I think that might be kinda hard for ponies that don't really have a body part that correlates to what they do. Like Applejack's apples

or cutie mark crusaders shields

If not on the flank, then maybe on the inner thigh? That might be a little strange ;P

Yea it would be weird. "Hey check out my cutie mark!" *raises leg to see underside*

Edited by Misscellanio
  • Brohoof 1

This discussion isn't "why are they on their flanks" the discussion is "if not on their flank then where?"

That's what I was thinking too, like my 2nd choice, but also kinda felt like it would be kinda funny looking XD

I think that might be kinda hard for ponies that don't really have a body part that correlates to what they do. Like Applejack's apples

or cutie mark crusaders shields

Applejack's cutie mark could go on her chest

The same for the CMC.

Applejack's cutie mark could go on her chest

The same for the CMC.

Yea but then that wouldn't really represent what their talent is. You could say that it is some type of love or passion but same can be said about writing or soccer where a cutie mark would be on on of the hooves instead even though it still is a love/passion.

Yea but then that wouldn't really represent what their talent is. You could say that it is some type of love or passion but same can be said about writing or soccer where a cutie mark would be on on of the hooves instead even though it still is a love/passion.

Well, then Applejack's could be on her leg (tree kicker)

and the CMC's cutie marks are actually different- Apple Bloom's could be on her chest (there's a heart on it yo)

Sweetie Belle's could be...her cheecks?

Scootaloo's would be obviously on one of her wings.

Well, then Applejack's could be on her leg (tree kicker)

and the CMC's cutie marks are actually different- Apple Bloom's could be on her chest (there's a heart on it yo)

Sweetie Belle's could be...her cheecks?

Scootaloo's would be obviously on one of her wings.

Yea it could be but her talent isn't explicitly "good at bucking apples" is my point.

Same goes for CMC their destiny is to help other ponies find their purpose/destiny.

But that's just my take on it.

It would need to be on an area that's easily seen.  Like Butterfly said, the side would be good, and even though it would be covered up by their saddlebag, that's okay as their bags also have their cutie marks on them.  I also thought maybe their forehead, but given how a lot of ponies manes cover that up...nope.  I also like Changeling's idea of it being on the lower, outside of the front leg, but from a viewer's standpoint, it would be difficult to see while they're walking/running.

Edited by Mortar

It's embarrassing to have any cutie marks anywhere on your body if you're not a MLP Pony. I would think they should stay on the flanks for them though.

This discussion is not whether or not you think they should not have it on their flank. The discussion is if not on their flank then where

Maybe on their ankle? Like, on the ankle of their left front leg. That could look cool :) and then it's much less akward to show other ponies your cutiemark, they simply raise their hoof.

And, whenever they do something or they grab something then they see their cutiemark and get reminded of their desteny, that is quite a nice symbolic reason to have it there.