Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

For those of you in interweb relationships

idunnomaybe

There always skyping... You can watch movies together and play online games... 

My bf and I have be in a relationship for a year and a half now.... and we just figure out new ways to hang... 

NOW i would say after a year of dating (online) you should meet... (now make sure they are actually 100% real like webcaming, talk to family member etc)

• Brohoof 4

@@idunnomaybe,

Ours is a mix of both :P We live about an hour and a half from each other. It makes visiting a thing that only happens a few times a week. So we spend a lot of time on games and social media to have some extra time together when we can.

That's totally different than say some one from AUS dating some one from the US

• Brohoof 1

From experience~~ Welcome to 2016 - that's how...  :P

Because we live in a tech-minded world, there are no limits. You can share a life with someone online. If you can set great friendships on the Web - then you can get romantically involved, just the same. It's all about connection. There will be pivots, no doubt -- but that's the way it is, mon amis. 

• Brohoof 5

I used to be in a long-distance relationship. While we weren't both living in different countries, we lived about 5 hours apart from each other in different states. We would take the train to see each other during long weekends and during the summer. Because this person was not working at the time, I was usually the one in charge of making sure we had a proper amount of money for travel expenses- which wasn't always easy.

We would talk to each other on the phone and through text every day as well as using Skype every now and then. For the most part, that seemed to suffice.

• Brohoof 4

For me, it's about being attracted to the personality and building up trust & understanding. The physical contact will come; I just want to know and love the person for who they are before anything else.

I should know; I was in an online relationship for about four years (04 to 07) and I don't regret it.

• Brohoof 4

The physical contact will come; I just want to know and love the person for who they are before anything else.

i get that i'm not talking about sex and i'm actually one of those people that needs to be good friends with some one before feeling a sexual attraction (forget the name of it) but the long distance thing would kill me and in the past its not worked out 

when i was super young like 14 i think i liked a girl in the US and we started "dating" it only lasted like two weeks because it didn't go any where except for role playing being in the same room and we went back to being gaming friends 

second time was when i was at school of infantry my girlfriend at the time gave me a dear john via text saying that she was seeing some one else and that it "just happened" se said she couldent handle me not physically being there and that was 6 months of me being away 

this thread is more asking for peoples experiences and how they made it work 

Edited by idunnomaybe
  • Brohoof 2

I was in one in 2011. Distance ended up being too much about a year and 4 months later so he broke it up. I'm in one right now and we've hit our 8th month anniversary just a couple days ago. He's planning to move here in Feb since his parents are kicking him out.

• Brohoof 1

how does it even work? i genuinely don't understand it 

like how can you be in a romantic relationship and not see each other hold each other etc etc 

really it depends on how important physical contact and seeing the person face-to-face are to you. If you can do mostly without them, you're in luck. Otherwise it'll be difficult for you. 

• Brohoof 1

I have no personal experience with this, but a dear friend of mine is in one now that has gone very well so far. It started with my brother and myself just happening to get these two friends of ours together in a skype call while gaming. One friend from Mississippi and one from Indiana. Soon they were finding new games to play and movies to stream together and just spent time with each other online, despite being over 700 miles away IRL. several months later and now he has moved up to Indiana to get to know her in real life.

I agree with PathfinderCS, it's more about getting to know and to trust the personality... which can occur almost as well over the internet as anywhere else.

• Brohoof 1

From experience~~ Welcome to 2016 - that's how...  :P

Because we live in a tech-minded world, there are no limits. You can share a life with someone online. If you can set great friendships on the Web - then you can get romantically involved, just the same. It's all about connection. There will be pivots, no doubt -- but that's the way it is, mon amis.

Exactly! Miracle of internetz gives us a chance to see and hear each other. You can just spend time talking, watching stuff, playing games and even drawing together!

second time was when i was at school of infantry my girlfriend at the time gave me a dear john via text saying that she was seeing some one else and that it "just happened" se said she couldent handle me not physically being there and that was 6 months of me being away

Sure remote relationships don't fit to everyone.

• Brohoof 1

how does it even work? i genuinely don't understand it 

like how can you be in a romantic relationship and not see each other hold each other etc etc 

That's why when starting such relationship first question that should be answered is "will we ever meet?"

If the answer is "no" - don't even bother. Meeting and moving to live together at one point is an obvious "must" and talk about it should never be moved to another day. 

If answer is yes and one of You has actual plans to meet (not just sweet talking), then of course it works. Sure, You have no chance to actually meet the person before that "long awaited day" but there are still skype video calls for example and they worked for me ^^ You don't have to hold hand to be romantic, sometimes words alone or small gifts do a lot. Important part though is trust. You don't see the other person, obviously. You have to trust her (and she has to trust You) a lot. It is much harder than real life relationship with all that though. As You noticed - extremely reduced physical contact, lots of trust, patience and hard work are only few obstacles on such road. 

But if You have enough patience, trust etc it can work just fine. *Can*, because of coure it is a lot harder than just that. 

And I have a friend, who had a wedding with a girl who he was in LDR for about 3 years. If that doesn't say "it's possible" loud enough then I just don't know, what does xD

• Brohoof 3

That's why when starting such relationship first question that should be answered is "will we ever meet?"

If the answer is "no" - don't even bother. Meeting and moving to live together at one point is an obvious "must" and talk about it should never be moved to another day. 

If answer is yes and one of You has actual plans to meet (not just sweet talking), then of course it works. Sure, You have no chance to actually meet the person before that "long awaited day" but there are still skype video calls for example and they worked for me ^^ You don't have to hold hand to be romantic, sometimes words alone or small gifts do a lot. Important part though is trust. You don't see the other person, obviously. You have to trust her (and she has to trust You) a lot. It is much harder than real life relationship with all that though. As You noticed - extremely reduced physical contact, lots of trust, patience and hard work are only few obstacles on such road. 

But if You have enough patience, trust etc it can work just fine. *Can*, because of coure it is a lot harder than just that. 

And I have a friend, who had a wedding with a girl who he was in LDR for about 3 years. If that doesn't say "it's possible" loud enough then I just don't know, what does xD

I wouldn't necessarily say "no." Things can change down the road. That 'will we ever meet?' ... Might not happen, at all. 

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't necessarily say "no." Things can change down the road. That 'will we ever meet?' ... Might not happen, at all. 

Well, for me it is a "no", because for me physical affection is an important part of a relationship. That won't happen without meeting. That and relationship is more than just "fun". It is a serious part of life which requires real dedication, trust, royalty and consumes Your own time. I don't want to dedicate myself in it, when it is clear meeting will never happen. Not to mention - living together. 

And I obviously look for a relationship that will last, not one for "fun" so that makes such answer even bigger "no" to me. But here again it is just me, other people might have different opinion and it is as valid as my own. 

• Brohoof 2

I live in Indiana, my boyfriend lives in Virginia and for now, how we handle that is pretty simple. We voice/video chat on Skype every day and for now, that works perfectly fine. We can still see each other and communicate perfectly fine and one day we hope to meet face to face, maybe even living together one day. That is my dream. ^__^

• Brohoof 1

From my experiences, things didnt work out the way I thought they would. There has to be a lot of trust and connections between each person, since it could be very time consuming.

I prefer "close" relationships, because I just get so busy in a day and being able to see that special someone comfort me and be there for me physically helps me better than just text.

• Brohoof 1

Well its because of the net that I found my current gf. We dated for a few months. We would send each other letters with drawings, skype, text, call, send videos and things like that. All up till the point she moved me down here with her. Going on two years on new years.