music Do you listen to the radio?

Kaneki

I listen to the satellite radio in the truck when I'm working.  The good thing is I don't have to change stations every hundred miles or so.

• Brohoof 1

I don't anymore. There's not much value in it for me, they always play the same pop songs over and over. If i want to do that I can just pull out my phone and listen to it there if I wanted to plus tons of other songs that never get radio play or never are on the radio anymore.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

I actually do. I have this old small radio which is quite statically and not the best sound quality but it’s my favorite kind of sound from a radio. Especially listening to old classical music from it. It brings this authentic sound. I listen to jazz station too but sadly my radio couldn’t pick up the signal. But listen to Xmas station there where there’s jazz, brings such a nostalgic vibe and I would get zone out just staring at my radio and being absorb by it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to, but not anymore. Why use radio and listen to ads when you could just buy Spotify premium? Like radio is good but I don't think there's a way to remove ads on it unless you listen to a certain station at a certain time but most of the time there's ads.

• 5 months later...

At most, internet radio that is centered around specific, oftentimes niche genres. Sometimes can be good for discovering new artists within that genre. Standard radio simply doesn't do much to introduce people to new things.

I don’t listen to the radio. There aren’t any stations that play my kind of music and I don’t think surfing up and down the dial looking for anything that sounds good, and getting only bits and pieces of songs is worth the effort. I’d much prefer to play my own music from my phone or iPod and get exactly what I want when I want it, with no effort, commercials or wasted time.

• Hugs 1

• 1 month later...

Never ever even ever, I have two cars and the radios don't work in either and I couldn't possibly care less, I always listen to my own music via Bluetooth or aux :crackle:

I do. My car is old so I can't listen to my own music unfortunately. The station I listen to is generally hit or miss, but it beats silence.

I have to at work. Private, I am not a radio fan. In my car, I use an USB stick with music which I like. And at home, I either listen music over youtube, MP3 or CD. I am also thankful that the radio station we listen at work mostly plays songs from the 80s and not modern music because I can not stay these modern pop and hip hop music. Besides, they always play the same songs (which really annoys me, especially when you have a 8 hour work day), have bad comedy and also really annoying commercials. 

Listening to the radio is very comfy if you have the right set. 

FM/AM is usually rather dull, but the last weather radio that fell into my hands can actually pick up shortwave stations which is new for me.

Shortwave is where all the crazy stuff congregates: you never know what you're going to pick up. Shortwave signals travel quite far, so sometimes you can receive international broadcasts with no sweat. 

So far I've gotten:

-Lots of Spanish-language stations that could be from just about anywhere.  

-Radio Romania 

-A Japanese station

-An English religious cult outreach program

I don't usually listen to the radio, but I have been trying Coast to Coast AM lately. I enjoy the unusual subjects they discuss, but they can get a bit absurd too. 

• Excited 1

7 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I don't usually listen to the radio, but I have been trying Coast to Coast AM lately. I enjoy the unusual subjects they discuss, but they can get a bit absurd too. 

That about sums it up pretty well. There are tons of recordings of older broadcasts on Archive.org if you are interested in listening to them. 

• Thanks 1

On 2024-08-15 at 12:01 PM, returned_dragon said:

That about sums it up pretty well. There are tons of recordings of older broadcasts on Archive.org if you are interested in listening to them. 

I am interested! I remember listening back in the day and they were better in the earlier days. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

• Hugs 1