Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony inspired pen spinning

XxX_VapeKindKingxXxX

So yeah, I figured I would post this here because it's not really related to ponies, but is more of just a way I express myself in a creative and [hopefully] interesting to watch way. I would have put it in the art board but this isn't exactly the traditional kind. Let me know what you guys think, leave a comment in the thread if you thought it was interesting. I've been practicing this for several years and have it's been a slippery coast. I only developed a distinct style for my spinning after becoming a brony so I think it may have had quite an impact.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Brohoof 10

(edited)

confusion.jpg

Wow, that's amazing! I can't eaven do two spins, lol :P

Edited by Jokuc

(edited)

confusion.jpg

Wow, that's amazing! I can't eaven do two spins, lol :P

It does take a decent amount of practice to say the least. You have to start out with individual basic tricks and after a couple of months you can start crudely linking them together... If you're interested, start with this trick

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwIZoVNIUJE[/media]

it should take less than a few hours to master, 2 days personally but i was a very slow learner (which is to say, i've been doing it for 3 years, I've seen people better than me after as little as 1.5 years.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/KTrinh93

This guy has all the tutorials. There's many hundreds of tricks to learn though and he won't have them all.. Still, with trillions and trillions of ways to combo the tricks, it's not easy to get bored of

Edited by Sc00t
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, this was amazing!

I suck at pen spinning unfortunately, but maybe I'll pick it up, cuz I'm good at doing this sort of thing with my tennis racket, and I love it :P

BTW, I enjoyed looking at your inactive hand XD

Wow, this was amazing!

I suck at pen spinning unfortunately, but maybe I'll pick it up, cuz I'm good at doing this sort of thing with my tennis racket, and I love it :P

BTW, I enjoyed looking at your inactive hand XD

i rarely use it, i have recorded a few instances where i switch between the two, but I leave doing that well to the pros, like my good friend, Snow

i rarely use it, i have recorded a few instances where i switch between the two, but I leave doing that well to the pros, like my good friend, Snow

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqtV6zkXgdU[/media]

LOL I know, but it's fun to watch it twitch XD

guess it's a result of my spinal cord accidentally sending messages to the other hand while using the right one

LOL Don't worry about i, I do this sort of stuff as well, it just makes the vid 20% cooler ;)

(edited)

LOL Don't worry about i, I do this sort of stuff as well, it just makes the vid 20% cooler ;)

i didnt even notice it until you pointed it out, and definitely not while recording. I was entranced by silva hound and completely focused on the pen

actually it took around 40 minutes to get this 1:30 of footage

Edited by Sc00t

i didnt even notice it until you pointed it out, and definitely not while recording. I was entranced by silva hound and completely focused on the pen

actually it took around 40 minutes to get this 1:30 of footage

Silva Hound <3

That's a lot of shooting D: must have been a lot of editing as well :/

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqtV6zkXgdU[/media]

O__O IMPOSSIBURU!

(edited)

Silva Hound <3

That's a lot of shooting D: must have been a lot of editing as well :/

yeah. i dropped it a lot recording that video because i was doing a lot of aerial tricks and advanced linkages like switch spreads, power passes, reverse hand-arounds, palmspins, etc.... if i stick to basic/easy tricks like fundamentals, wipers, swivels, basic arounds, i can get as much as a 40 second-minute long freestyle going for the first try of recording. of course it's much less interesting to watch..

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uev8F8B9MpA[/media]

Edited by Sc00t

yeah. i dropped it a lot recording that video because i was doing a lot of aerial tricks and advanced linkages like switch spreads, power passes, reverse hand-arounds, palmspins, etc.... if i stick to basic/easy tricks like fundamentals, wipers, swivels, basic arounds, i can get as much as a 40 second-minute long freestyle going for the first try of recording. of course it's much less interesting to watch..

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uev8F8B9MpA[/media]

That was intense! :D

PEN SPINNING THREAD

ALL MY PARTICIPATION.

I used to be super into this stuff until I ran out of time....best trick is a Twisted Sonic Bust, most common is definitely TA harmonic, and I commonly do Wiper T1-->Pass T1-12-->Charge 12 (One rotation)-->Pass T1 Repeat.

No one has any idea how excited I am to see this thread :3 :wub:

(edited)

PEN SPINNING THREAD

ALL MY PARTICIPATION.

I used to be super into this stuff until I ran out of time....best trick is a Twisted Sonic Bust, most common is definitely TA harmonic, and I commonly do Wiper T1-->Pass T1-12-->Charge 12 (One rotation)-->Pass T1 Repeat.

No one has any idea how excited I am to see this thread :3 :wub:

i perform TA harmonics constantly with my pencil while writing, i'm quite surprised to see someone else here who is familiar with the lingo like you, seeing as it is primarily a foreign [read: non english speakers] hobby and they have seldom heard of ponies.

if you're registered to UPSB, add me as a friend!

http://forum.upsb.in...mber.php?u=2880

Edited by Sc00t

I was thinking about something, what is the two thingy you do with your fingers every time you're done?

(edited)

I was thinking about something, what is the two thingy you do with your fingers every time you're done?

peace sign, it's traditional for penspinners. look up some combos and sessions by any other spinners, they usually end with peace sign. it signifies any number of things, a closure of the video because just ending with a trick catch is rather strange looking, or to just to show respect to an opponent or even to express the victory of performing an extremely powerful combo successfully after dropping it countless times (in the world tournament, for example, the best people in the hobby push their limits and it can take several days to a week for successfully performing a 20 second combo. by comparison, they can make a less impressive freestyle on the first try.). Still, people do different things, like people from hong kong like to finish with the fist in the palm.

Edited by Sc00t

peace sign, it's traditional for penspinners. look up some combos and sessions by any other spinners, they usually end with peace sign. it signifies any number of things, a closure of the video because just ending with a trick catch is rather strange looking, or to just to show respect to an opponent or even to express the victory of performing an extremely powerful combo successfully after dropping it countless times (in the world tournament, for example, the best people in the hobby push their limits and it can take several days to a week for successfully performing a 20 second combo. by comparison, they can make a less impressive freestyle on the first try.). Still, people do different things, like people from hong kong like to finish with the fist in the palm.

Sounds cool! Thanks for explaining.

(edited)

I wanna find out more about this!

I saw you guys talking about TAs and stuff and it sounded cool. Where can I get myself edumacated?

http://www.youtube.com/ktrinh93

www.upsb.info

here's another video from the current world cup that's going on. I truly consider this man to be the most skilled pen spinner on earth, even though he was knocked out of the tournament 2011 in the semi-finals. He will have his day...

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-naXhOVzg[/media]

I'm not sure if you guys will see this video the same way i do.. i can see the individual tricks as they're being done and imagine the monumental amounts of skill it would take to link them together like that. It's easy to tell he went all out because he only used one hand whereas he normally uses two, but by pushing the combo to his limit there was no place for hand switching (and the fact that this round was technical and hand switching is very unimpressive to the official judges, all being penspinners themselves...) I could seldom dream of having such perfect control, execution, and dare I say confidence. Just compare that reverse handaround he does at 0:14 with the ones I was doing, or even his spreads.

Edited by Sc00t