Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general The Inspiration/Motivation thread

Dark Horse

Hey everyone!

So I think it's safe for me to say that we've all found ourselves in situations where we just lack motivation to do a particular task. Maybe you're struggling with your latest school assignment or a personal project you've been working on? Perhaps you have a fantastic idea in your head, but you can't seem to find the desire to put it to practicality, you just procrastinate and put it off until you no longer care for its significance. I know I've been there.

Maybe you just feel downright uninspired lately, unsure and unexcited for the future. You feel in your heart that you want to get out and do something, but you're lost to what exactly that is. Maybe the daily grind of life has just dampened on your soul, and you feel trapped in a loop with no clear sense of purpose to it all.

It can really bring you down, mentally and physically.

Poor Rarity...img-3507446-2-rarity_bored_vector_by_tak

Sometimes we just need a little bit of a jump start, a fresh perspective! A place where we can retreat to clear and our heads and give a sense of clarity and newfound inspiration to our minds.

Or perhaps we need to do something a little more exciting, something we have never done before, make the step outside your current boundaries and just go for it! Ride the wave of motivation to new possibilities!

Or maybe it can be something as simple as talking with a close friend. :)

Whatever the reasons; I'd like to know what is YOU do to become motivated when you feel that you're in a rut? What do you do or where do you go to recharge your batteries and make yourself feel whole again? How do you regain lost inspiration? Share your tips and stories here.

48cc8ad6-9047-45bb-961d-ae93d2048b1c.jpg

• Brohoof 9

What I do is simple and anyone that knows me probably knows this already: I look at the simple, little things that I love. Something that I can look forward, things that I can look at and be happy that I have it. That could be looking forward to a game, remembering the friends I have here, my boyfriend, all of this is something that I try to think about when life has me not wanting to continue on. I don't have any super huge aspirations, but I want to be happy and thinking of these is one way to help that along for me. 

• Brohoof 4

This is a beautiful inspirational as well as motivational commercial. I find myself watching it often and I think that everyone should see it at least once.

• Brohoof 4

I think back on my life and what got me here in the first places, resources and support from others or talking to people whom you trust can make a huge difference. So when life gets myself or you down, think about why you are here. ;)

• Brohoof 2

What I do is simple and anyone that knows me probably knows this already: I look at the simple, little things that I love. Something that I can look forward, things that I can look at and be happy that I have it. That could be looking forward to a game, remembering the friends I have here, my boyfriend, all of this is something that I try to think about when life has me not wanting to continue on. I don't have any super huge aspirations, but I want to be happy and thinking of these is one way to help that along for me. 

Absolutely. I know when people say "inspiring" they often think of something grandiose and impressive, but I believe inspiration can be found even in the smallest of things if you look at it right way. What you may consider mundane, another may find solace and comfort in it. That's something I've always found fascinating.

This is a beautiful inspirational as well as motivational commercial. I find myself watching it often and I think that everyone should see it at least once.

Indeed. A short but powerful reminder that "failure" need not be the end of our dreams, but simply a step towards achieving them. :)

I think back on my life and what got me here in the first places, resources and support from others or talking to people whom you trust can make a huge difference. So when life gets myself or you down, think about why you are here. ;)

Yes, always remember what you have achieved already, and be proud of those accomplishments, no matter how small or insignificant they may seem. The friends you've made and the experiences you've learned; it all adds to you as a person. Be happy with who you are. :D

• Brohoof 3

I really like this thread cause I struggle something AWFUL with finding the motivation to complete tasks. It's something I'm really trying to fix, especially as I'm moving towards drawing art for others, and I sometimes just can't seem to bring myself to draw.

Something I heard recently that I'm trying to apply to my work now, is to ask myself if I'm going to feel guilty later if I don't complete a task now. If I put something off, will I regret it later. It really puts the onus on you to prioritize what's important, rather than what you'd like to do.

• Brohoof 2

I really like this thread cause I struggle something AWFUL with finding the motivation to complete tasks. It's something I'm really trying to fix, especially as I'm moving towards drawing art for others, and I sometimes just can't seem to bring myself to draw.

Artists are probably the most quoted people as being found lacking in motivation. Since you're working and creating from the mind, you really want it to be energized and ready to go. One of my most hated positions to find myself in is staring at a blank sheet of paper and feeling like I'm switched off. I know straight from the off that's going to make things difficult.

Something I heard recently that I'm trying to apply to my work now, is to ask myself if I'm going to feel guilty later if I don't complete a task now. If I put something off, will I regret it later. It really puts the onus on you to prioritize what's important, rather than what you'd like to do.

That kind of sounds like what my mother used to tell me about my school homework. She would suggest doing it as soon as I came home so that I wouldn't have to worry about it later, and thus not have to interrupt any other activities I might have started. While my younger, not as mature self might not have agreed so much, I do think that prioritizing tasks that need to be done over personal leisure ultimately leads to far less stress later on.

Easier said than done of course. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

Artists are probably the most quoted people as being found lacking in motivation. Since you're working and creating from the mind, you really want it to be energized and ready to go. One of my most hated positions to find myself in is staring at a blank sheet of paper and feeling like I'm switched off. I know straight from the off that's going to make things difficult.

You really gotta force yourself to draw some times don't ya. And speaking from experience it's not easy at all. It's overwhelming. You want to draw, and sometimes you just don't know what, or other times you just don't know how to start. I'll find myself often times just making pointless circle scribbles simply because I can't seem to focus in on anything. It can help sometimes, getting the feel for drawing, by trying to turn those scribbles into really abstract people, just because it's something :)

That kind of sounds like what my mother used to tell me about my school homework. She would suggest doing it as soon as I came home so that I wouldn't have to worry about it later, and thus not have to interrupt any other activities I might have started. While my younger, not as mature self might not have agreed so much, I do think that prioritizing tasks that need to be done over personal leisure ultimately leads to far less stress later on.  

Easier said than done of course.

OOOOH I'm the exact same way with schoolwork even now. My mom used to tell me the same thing as well, but there's just something about hearing it from a different source while your on your own that makes you stop and think about it. At least for me that is. Though I like to think as I'm getting older, I'm getting better at prioritizing. It's tough tho, since a lot of it mind over matter sometimes :/

• Brohoof 2

You really gotta force yourself to draw some times don't ya. And speaking from experience it's not easy at all. It's overwhelming. You want to draw, and sometimes you just don't know what, or other times you just don't know how to start. I'll find myself often times just making pointless circle scribbles simply because I can't seem to focus in on anything. It can help sometimes, getting the feel for drawing, by trying to turn those scribbles into really abstract people, just because it's something

It's not necessarily a bad habit of drawing random doodles while your mind wanders. You may just find something subconsciously and be able to go from there. Art is interesting like that. :P

OOOOH I'm the exact same way with schoolwork even now. My mom used to tell me the same thing as well, but there's just something about hearing it from a different source while your on your own that makes you stop and think about it. At least for me that is. Though I like to think as I'm getting older, I'm getting better at prioritizing. It's tough tho, since a lot of it mind over matter sometimes :/

Yep. Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do after coming home from a day of school was more work. I'd often find any excuse to put it off for another while and then go do something I'd enjoy instead. But at the end of the day, you just can't put it off forever. You either get it done, or you don't, and I think the longer you shove it aside the harder it becomes to regain motivation for it. I guess it really just comes down to your preferred way of handling things.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone loses motivation, you're right about that. But you have to think about what's important to you in life in order to succeed. Nobody got where they are by staying in one place.

When i work, study, or otherwise do something meaningful in my personal life, i try to put my heart and soul into it, because at oftentimes a job half done is worse than nothing done at all.

Don't get me wrong, i hate effort as much as the next guy, but i know that i could never forgive myself for failure if i haven't given it all i got. Losing an opportunity to inaction is the worst crime the oblivious can commit.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone loses motivation, you're right about that. But you have to think about what's important to you in life in order to succeed. Nobody got where they are by staying in one place.

When i work, study, or otherwise do something meaningful in my personal life, i try to put my heart and soul into it, because at oftentimes a job half done is worse than nothing done at all.

Don't get me wrong, i hate effort as much as the next guy, but i know that i could never forgive myself for failure if i haven't given it all i got. Losing an opportunity to inaction is the worst crime the oblivious can commit.

This. End of the day, you can't just sit around and expect Deus ex machina to occur. It's one thing to become motivated, it's another to actually choose to do something with it.

But yeah, it's much better to fail and know you tried your best, then to fail and know that you could have done more.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... I always keep remembering myself that.

And then I just plug some music in my ears and get back to kicking ass.  :proud:

Edited by Guest

And then I just plug some music in my ears and get back to kicking ass.

Music is food for the soul. This I very much understand. :D

• 3 years later...

John Carmack is always an inspiration to me, and he can talk forever without adding too many ums into his sentences:

Spoiler

• 3 years later...

I either take a small break until something in my head wants to get creative, or I switch to learning mode.

Trying something new or specifically focusing on what I could improve always has led to the most progress from me.

Giving myself a deadline (like an hour or so usually) also gets me motivated because it means I kinda have to force myself to finish.

Listening to music I wouldn't normally listen to daily also helps the creativity and inspiration too :fluttershy:

I mean….Being in a bad place mentally tends to be what gives me the most creative outcomes when it comes to drawing or writing. I remember watching a Gamegrumps video where Arin said the same thing.