Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spoiler

EDIT, wow I'm having an insane amount of trouble trying to edit a post to have spoiler tags and to have an inline picture in a spoiler box.... finally got the spoiler tag to work.

"I must send her away"

See attached file, unless I figured out how to put a picture inline.

I found this to be a really weird thing that Celestia would say. Like, my snarky bone got hit again when she said this but that's because my bone interpreted that as a joke and the rest of my brain went what? I don't get the context of this whole scene and why Celestia would chose to say that.

When Celestia is on a hilltop overlooking Canterlot trying to make plans for getting Twilight to socialize with other ponies (prior to season 1 episode 1), she looks up at the sky and sees the mare in the moon, remember her own sister and then says "I must send her away" with a tear in her eye.

I guess my complaint about this scene is that it seems to give the wrong connotations in the worst context (which can be sarcastically funny). To explain, when Celestia said "I must send her away" while looking at the mare in the moon, I thought: hang on now. Originally you sent your own sister away to be banished to the moon because she became evil and possessed and posed a potential threat to Equestria in trying to blot out the sun and take over the kingdom.... but how does that relate to making a decision on what to do with Twilight? Remember Celestia, the last time you "sent a pony away" ... she ended being imprisoned on the moon for a 1000 years. The former decision shouldn't affect the latter decision and is no way connected to each other...

Did anyone else think that scene was a bit odd? Like saying that "I must send her away" seemed to give the wrong connotations to me when Celestia said that. (It didn't help that we got to see what happened to the last pony Celestia "sent away".) Did anyone else think that scene was a bit funny?

Edited by pony.colin

I saw it that the thought of sending Twilight away reminded her of how painful it was to banish her own sister. She didn't want to send another pony she loves away from her, even though it would be for far better reasons. You're reading something in the situation that just isn't there.

• Brohoof 8

I actually thought this was a pretty good moment of character for Princess Celestia, as the thought of sending her prized student reminded her of how the pain of how she had to banish her own sister.  She's already had to send a pony she loves a way from her, and having to send another pony she loves away from her would be difficult for her to do.

• Brohoof 3

This was a superb moment in the episode, and shockingly one of the few times that dialog in media doesn't take the route of being perfectly categorized. Instead this feels natural. Thoughts are organic. Celestia likely doesn't just think of the banishment daily -- it is always present on her mind. A stray thought, even a tangential one, will cause at least an internal emotional response. Most of the time we do need clean analogies in narrative fiction (text or visual media), but I appreciate the occasional corollary event that invokes a related memory. 

This scene adds color and texture to the character, and emotionally grounds the character in a way we haven't seen since the season 4 premiere. It reminds us that there was a time that Tia was grieving the loss if her sister, and now we have closer evidence that she felt guilt since she connected that loss to having to let go of her protege. 

And that, my friends is the key here. Letting go. It's one of the themes that runs through this episode. Celestia doesn't want to let go of Twilight, but it's the right thing to do. That also reminds her that she is incapable or unwilling to let go of Luna. 

TL;DR - It doesn't take a perfect analogous element to invoke a memory. Those that have dealt with loss know this all to well. 

• Brohoof 4

In retrospect, I thought the "her"  referred to Twilight.  IMO, this ties in to the "How much did Celestia know?" question.  Celestia probably at least knew Twilight's Cutie Mark is on the Tree of Harmony.  It seems an awfully big coincidence that Twilight "just happened" to meet 5 Ponies who were suited to be the Elements.  Not to mention that Fluttershy going into that woods is the most OOC thing I've ever seen.  Geas?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, i kinda agree. Also, to me, that came out of nowhere. Like she was thinking about how to make Twilight more social, and suddenly came "I must send her away." I get your point, but i must agree with what @cuteycindyhoney said.

On 16.4.2017 at 4:50 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

I saw it that the thought of sending Twilight away reminded her of how painful it was to banish her own sister. She didn't want to send another pony she loves away from her, even though it would be for far better reasons. You're reading something in the situation that just isn't there.

• Brohoof 1