Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Right To Riff

darknessrising24

Gotta get this off my chest, because people like this really piss me off.

As many know, there are people out there who hate what MLP has become, claiming that “the show is ruined’ or “I stopped watching the show, it just isn't good any more ”...

And yet they go out of their way to complain about every new episode that comes out and verbally attack it based on the synopsis alone.

Question:
If you're not gonna watch the show anymore, why should your opinion be taken under any sort of consideration?

Why should anyone take it nothing more than a grain of salt?

If you wanna go back to when the CMC were still trying to get their Cutie Marks then go ahead and watch previous episodes. If you hate Twicorn that much, then go watch season 2.

But here's the thing; the “status quo is God” trope is STUPID.

The show and characters have changed and grown since then and your refusal to accept that showcases an inability to adapt to a changing series and its fandom.

And those who claim they are “true bronies" by “accepting pre-Twicorn over the modern episodes” are using that excuse as a crutch to disguise their real complaints, which is: “I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!! EVERYTHING HAS TO STAY EXACTLY THE SAME!!”

Shit changes, sometimes for better or worse, and you've gotta roll with it.

People complaining about the show being ruined need to wake up and stop following the hate-bandwagon. Anyone can go with the flow, in fact, the weak specialize in it. A true strong person is willing to fight the current.

But if you're not gonna watch the newer episodes of series anymore, then your opinions on said episodes don't have much weight, and you've basically lost the right to complain about them or at the very least have those complaints be taken remotely seriously. Again, you haven't watched it, so why should we acknowledge the opinion of someone who might not even know what they're talking about?

Don't ask someone to be open-minded when you're too close-minded.

• Brohoof 1

I agree, Greg, the one who makes Rainbow Dash Presents n such, is wearing hard nostalgia goggles like usual. Its how he criticizes everything seemingly, but this time he explained well why he didn't like the shift, and in a way I can't really find flaws with.

But he was the one expecting the characters to literally not gain character development. But one valid point he brought up is the world had mystery, parasprites manitcores cockatrices, where are all the new dangers now? It severely reduced the adventure and mystery. And I agree.

I am enjoying most new episodes tho. But his point is simultaneously valid. And for him its too much of a bummer to continue, well, sucks to be him, because its still an enjoyable series.

Also cuz topic name

1453739__safe_screencap_rarity_honest+ap

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So what you're saying is that if people don't blindly love the show no matter what changes are made, they aren't allowed to express that they don't like the changes that have been made or critique the synopsis of any episode after the changes they dislike have been made? You are saying that people who do not share your view should not speak.

You're one to talk about open-mindedness.

Edited by Krynnymuffin

If people are worried about the way a synopsis sounds they should be allowed to voice their concerns, likewise they should wait and give said episode a chance on the possibility that it could be good. Everyone was scared of 28  Pranks Later, we all said to give it a chance only to confirm everyone's fears of it being shit. On the other hand the opposite thing happened with several S7 episodes where they turned out to be fantastic(A Flurry of Emotions, Parental Glideance, a Royal Problem)

• Brohoof 1

I may be pretty easily satisfied with FIM, all things considered, but I have to say that as long as someone isn't being a jerk about it, than they should be allowed to criticize aspects of the show that they don't like.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Krynnymuffin said:

So what you're saying is that if people don't blindly love the show no matter what changes are made, they aren't allowed to express that they don't like the changes that have been made or critique the synopsis of any episode after the changes they dislike have been made? You are saying that people who do not share your view should not speak.

You're one to talk about open-mindedness.

2 hours ago, The Undefeated of the Weast said:

If people are worried about the way a synopsis sounds they should be allowed to voice their concerns, likewise they should wait and give said episode a chance on the possibility that it could be good. Everyone was scared of 28  Pranks Later, we all said to give it a chance only to confirm everyone's fears of it being shit. On the other hand the opposite thing happened with several S7 episodes where they turned out to be fantastic(A Flurry of Emotions, Parental Glideance, a Royal Problem)

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like and dislike things as you please. I'm saying if you're going to "give up" on the series and claim not to watch it anymore then you lose the right to have your opinion of the taken remotely seriously when you start complaining about episodes you either haven't seen or won't bother to watch.

People who complain about everything being bad after season 3 or whichever season they believe the show started going downhill have a tendency to be self-entitled and pretentious to the point of condescendingly talking down to everyone who still likes the show just for not sharing their opinion. Even going as far as to claim that "they are the real bronies as they only acknowledge the good seasons of MLP and not the trash it's become."

It's sickening and pathetic.

1 hour ago, cmarston1 said:

I may be pretty easily satisfied with FIM, all things considered, but I have to say that as long as someone isn't being a jerk about it, than they should be allowed to criticize aspects of the show that they don't like.

Dude, there's always gonna be someone being a jerk about it.

Case in point: SilverStarApple

6 hours ago, darknessrising24 said:

Gotta get this off my chest, because people like this really piss me off.

As many know, there are people out there who hate what MLP has become, claiming that “the show is ruined’ or “I stopped watching the show, it just isn't good any more ”...

And yet they go out of their way to complain about every new episode that comes out and verbally attack it based on the synopsis alone.

Question:
If you're not gonna watch the show anymore, why should your opinion be taken under any sort of consideration?

Why should anyone take it nothing more than a grain of salt?

If you wanna go back to when the CMC were still trying to get their Cutie Marks then go ahead and watch previous episodes. If you hate Twicorn that much, then go watch season 2.

But here's the thing; the “status quo is God” trope is STUPID.

The show and characters have changed and grown since then and your refusal to accept that showcases an inability to adapt to a changing series and its fandom.

And those who claim they are “true bronies" by “accepting pre-Twicorn over the modern episodes” are using that excuse as a crutch to disguise their real complaints, which is: “I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!! EVERYTHING HAS TO STAY EXACTLY THE SAME!!”

Shit changes, sometimes for better or worse, and you've gotta roll with it.

People complaining about the show being ruined need to wake up and stop following the hate-bandwagon. Anyone can go with the flow, in fact, the weak specialize in it. A true strong person is willing to fight the current.

But if you're not gonna watch the newer episodes of series anymore, then your opinions on said episodes don't have much weight, and you've basically lost the right to complain about them or at the very least have those complaints be taken remotely seriously. Again, you haven't watched it, so why should we acknowledge the opinion of someone who might not even know what they're talking about?

Don't ask someone to be open-minded when you're too close-minded.

There's a logical paradox in there somewhere. 

This is not directed to anyone in particular but it has to be said. 

Here's the thing. If I like or love something ... I am not threatened by a contrary opinion. I adore Star Wars and I married and had kids with someone who absolutely detests Star Wars. If someone wants to be critical or nitpicky, I couldn't care less (or more). It has no influence on how much I enjoy what it is I enjoy. If they like it, I am provided a great opportunity to further discuss the show, if not then we can talk about something else. 

Also, why would I look at someone and say, "You need to like the thing I like the same way I like it"? If someone liked something because of a particular reason, and that is absent for them now, of course it's going to change how they feel. 

Nostalgia should also not be marginalized in such a way you can just dismiss a person's complaint. It's valid to them. That's all that matters with art. I barely read Spider-Man because of One More Day. If people like single Peter, more power to them and I'm happy they derived pleasure from the change. If people want to know why I stopped supporting the books, I'll gladly tell them my take without the implication that what they are doing is wrong. I expect the same fucking treatment in kind though. 

People who ride their high horse on both sides need to get off before they look even more ridiculous than they already do -- because all I hear is this:

"Whine whine whine ... why do people think differently than me. Soooo unfair!"

Grow up and like what you like. 

31 minutes ago, darknessrising24 said:

Guy was also a member here and had some friends. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, darknessrising24 said:

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like and dislike things as you please. I'm saying if you're going to "give up" on the series and claim not to watch it anymore then you lose the right to have your opinion of the taken remotely seriously when you start complaining about episodes you either haven't seen or won't bother to watch.

I'm afraid that's now how opinions work. You certainly don't have to heed the opinions of people who no longer watch the show, but that certainly doesn't mean that what they have to say is, in any way, invalid.

People who complain about everything being bad after season 3 or whichever season they believe the show started going downhill have a tendency to be self-entitled and pretentious to the point of condescendingly talking down to everyone who still likes the show just for not sharing their opinion. Even going as far as to claim that "they are the real bronies as they only acknowledge the good seasons of MLP and not the trash it's become.

It's sickening and pathetic.

So, some people asserted some claims you didn't like, so now anyone with opinions similar to those individuals should lose their ability to express dissatisfaction with a product they feel is not living up to the potential it once showed?

Oh, I see, so you're making these claims based on the actions of a single individual whose opinions you don't have to listen to or agree with.

9 minutes ago, Krynnymuffin said:

I'm afraid that's now how opinions work. You certainly don't have to heed the opinions of people who no longer watch the show, but that certainly doesn't mean that what they have to say is, in any way, invalid.

Kind of is when they act like they know better than anyone else, saying that everything after the point where they quit is going to suck and pretend that everyone who still likes the series is too blind and naive to know better. Tell me, why should I give their opinion any consideration whatsoever?

11 minutes ago, Krynnymuffin said:

So, some people asserted some claims you didn't like, so now anyone with opinions similar to those individuals should lose their ability to express dissatisfaction with a product they feel is not living up to the potential it once showed?

Not everyone with opinions, just those who pretend that they still know what's wrong with the series without acknowledging the new materials that are being presented. Or complaining that the new material sucks without considering anything good about it.

Again, if they're going to be so close-minded after they quit, then why should we be open-minded to their biased opinions?

20 minutes ago, Krynnymuffin said:

Oh, I see, so you're making these claims based on the actions of a single individual whose opinions you don't have to listen to or agree with.

No, I'm just listing him as a textbook example.

(edited)

Clearly you're just close-minded and have no actual interest in an actual discussion on the matter. I'd rather not waste my time pointing out what's wrong with what you are saying a third time, nor a fourth.

Edited by Krynnymuffin

34 minutes ago, Krynnymuffin said:

Clearly you're just close-minded and have no actual interest in an actual discussion on the matter. I'd rather not waste my time pointing out what's wrong with what you are saying a third time, nor a fourth.

Says the guy who clearly hasn't properly read what I'm saying and just wants an excuse to whine.

Kindly take your pretentious attitude somewhere else.