Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Uncommon Bond - Spike and Starlight?

Ganondox

Now that both Spike and Starlight have been called by the cutie map, it has been established they HAVE been called. Mega Sean 45 proposed this is because in a future episode they are going to get called together, and I think Uncommon Bond might be that episode. What I'm hoping to see is that the uncommon bond is that Starlight ends up having some sort of connection to Spike's parents and we finally get that episode, but there is so many ways the pair can go, really they are perfect for each other and we haven't seen enough of them together. 

• Brohoof 2

My theories are becoming more known around here! XD People are guessing that I'm actually psychic! :3 In all seriousness, I'm not ALWAYS right, you know. My ideas don't happen all the time! I just get lucky really! :P

Anyways, since I wouldn't call Spike and Starlight's bond uncommon anymore, I wouldn't say this episode this duo, unless one of them has a friend who hasn't interacted alot with one of the two - or they both befriend someone! I dunno! This episode could mean anything, and it's not even those two! Maybe FirePuppy is right and it could be AJ! Or maybe it's a Fluttershy episode! All we can do right now is guess! :P 

12 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Anyways, since I wouldn't call Spike and Starlight's bond uncommon anymore, I wouldn't say this episode this duo, unless one of them has a friend who hasn't interacted alot with one of the two - or they both befriend someone! I dunno! This episode could mean anything, and it's not even those two! Maybe FirePuppy is right and it could be AJ! Or maybe it's a Fluttershy episode! All we can do right now is guess! :P 

I don't think the uncommon bond is Starlight and Spike's friendship, it would be the connection Starlight has with Spike's parents. We have no idea that uncommon bound is reference to a duo, that's just what people have been theorizing. 

2 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

I don't think the uncommon bond is Starlight and Spike's friendship, it would be the connection Starlight has with Spike's parents. We have no idea that uncommon bound is reference to a duo, that's just what people have been theorizing. 

I don't think we're gonna see Spike's parents this season to be honest. However, I do think we'll see them soon! I have a really good feeling about season 8! Most likely, the most of Spike's family we might get is him hanging with Twilight's family in Once Upon a Zeppelin! THAT needs to happen! Out of everything I wish for Spike to do this season, I will be okay if it's just this! He needs some bonding time with Twilight's family like they're his own family! If that happens, I'm good!

12 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

I don't think we're gonna see Spike's parents this season to be honest. However, I do think we'll see them soon! I have a really good feeling about season 8! Most likely, the most of Spike's family we might get is him hanging with Twilight's family in Once Upon a Zeppelin! THAT needs to happen! Out of everything I wish for Spike to do this season, I will be okay if it's just this! He needs some bonding time with Twilight's family like they're his own family! If that happens, I'm good!

I don't think we actually are either, it's just a hope. 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Now that both Spike and Starlight have been called by the cutie map, it has been established they HAVE been called. Mega Sean 45 proposed this is because in a future episode they are going to get called together, and I think Uncommon Bond might be that episode. What I'm hoping to see is that the uncommon bond is that Starlight ends up having some sort of connection to Spike's parents and we finally get that episode, but there is so many ways the pair can go, really they are perfect for each other and we haven't seen enough of them together. 

Why not a bond between Spike's parents and Twilight? Twilight is the one gave birth to Spike, she is the perfect candidate.

10 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Why not a bond between Spike's parents and Twilight? Twilight is the one gave birth to Spike, she is the perfect candidate.

Because it doesn't involve Starlight, and that is what this topic is about. :P

Also, I wouldn't exactly say Twilight gave birth to Spike....

7 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Because it doesn't involve Starlight, and that is what this topic is about. :P

Also, I wouldn't exactly say Twilight gave birth to Spike....

She kind of did, so Twilight was actually mom when she was little. :P

4 minutes ago, Hierok said:

She kind of did, so Twilight was actually mom when she was little. :P

Hatching an egg and laying an egg are *very* different experiences, physiologically speaking...

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Ganondox said:

Hatching an egg and laying an egg are *very* different experiences, physiologically speaking...

Yeah, but the idea is the same. The first what the baby sees is his 'mother', egg or not. Twilight actually functions as mother on that moment, if she is it or not. She is a little a like teen mom then

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Yeah, Twilight is not the one who hatch the egg, but her spell definately mess up Spike's genes and technically created Spike who we know today.:toldya:

1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

Yeah, Twilight is not the one who hatch the egg, but her spell definately mess up Spike's genes and technically created Spike who we know today.:toldya:

[Citation Needed]

Inb4 it's another AJ x Pinkie family episode which will turn out to be the reason behind the decommissioning of Marblemack that was the original ship designated to the Hard to Say Anything theater :P

The most reasonable and lore-worthy guess would be the bond between Twilight and Spike. Like seriously, Starwoobie and Spike are just lukewarm friends. Why anyone would proclaim this as an uncommon bond is beyond my comprehension. They do not have a deep emotional connection worthy of exploration and anyone who was slobbering over Perfect Pear should be groaning at the mere thought of such an episode. Stop trying to cram your waifu into every episode with an interesting title. Stop trying to insert your waifu into every maturing relationship between main characters. And with the changeling thing coming up, I do trust she has enough episodes to sate your appetites.

TL; DR: in regards to philosophy of MLP: FIM, having your butt marks on the Map is not an uncommon bond. Having vague connections to past events is not an uncommon bond either. Having a complicated and unexpected relationship is [mic = dropped]

• Brohoof 1

Chances are, I don't think so. Applejack should deserve this one because all the other ponies are each getting one more from To Change a Changeling to Secrets and Pies. Then most of the Mane Six ponies (except Fluttershy, Pinkie and Starlight) can sacrifice their screen time to Spike in Season 8.

(edited)
On 8/24/2017 at 6:08 AM, Goat-kun said:

Inb4 it's another AJ x Pinkie family episode which will turn out to be the reason behind the decommissioning of Marblemack that was the original ship designated to the Hard to Say Anything theater :P

The most reasonable and lore-worthy guess would be the bond between Twilight and Spike. Like seriously, Starwoobie and Spike are just lukewarm friends. Why anyone would proclaim this as an uncommon bond is beyond my comprehension. They do not have a deep emotional connection worthy of exploration and anyone who was slobbering over Perfect Pear should be groaning at the mere thought of such an episode. Stop trying to cram your waifu into every episode with an interesting title. Stop trying to insert your waifu into every maturing relationship between main characters. And with the changeling thing coming up, I do trust she has enough episodes to sate your appetites.

TL; DR: in regards to philosophy of MLP: FIM, having your butt marks on the Map is not an uncommon bond. Having vague connections to past events is not an uncommon bond either. Having a complicated and unexpected relationship is [mic = dropped]

Oo look, more whining about Starlight Glimmer. Get over it. The point that you completely missed is that the bond would be developed IN the episode. Twilight and Spike are already well bond. 

Also, regarding MarbleMac, 4th cousins is plenty far enough for it to not be creepy. 

Edited by Ganondox

9 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Oo look, more whining about Starlight Glimmer. Get over it. The point that you completely is that the bond would be developed IN the episode. Twilight and Spike are already well bond.

That is not an argument. Or am I to state you're just a Starlight fanboy in response? I am tempted.

It is a legit point that Twilight and Spike have a unique bond, and that bond should stay unique to them. What you are proposing in further dismantling of Twilight's unique plot options in favor of Starlight. Spike and Twilight are like brother and sister. If his origin is to be explored, it needs to be explored with Twilight at his side. Creating an instant bond between Spike and Starlight with the help of "lol plot" is thus not only unneeded to explore Spike's history but also very counterproductive as it would once again have to picture Twilight as a second-grade idiot who, for some convoluted reason or another, wouldn't tag along on one of her little brother's most important quests in his life. Do you understand? Even if our glorious writers would push Starlight as some important part of Spike's history it would still have to be his pony sister playing the most important part as his support. In simple words: STARLIGHT IS IRRELEVANT EITHER WAY. Thus she shouldn't even be in such an episode. So why even bother creating a convoluted plot unless you just want to push your waifu?

And as far as other dragon-related stuff goes, Spike always has the Ember option. Tell me again why Starlight would be such a great addition to his lore episode? They even have similar humor and they both need someone else to make it work.

Hey wouldn't it be cool if this episode's uncommon bond was Spike and Trixie? XD Spike's already bonded with Starlight, Thorax, and Discord; and Trixie bonded with Starlight, Thorax. and Discord! Maybe if another big friendship group is being made, all that needs to complete the pattern would be Spike and Trixie interacting! Perhaps those two would have a common interest that's uncommon to most other characters! Maybe Trixie has a thing for comic books, and we just don't know it! :3

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

That is not an argument. Or am I to state you're just a Starlight fanboy in response? I am tempted.

It is a legit point that Twilight and Spike have a unique bond, and that bond should stay unique to them. What you are proposing in further dismantling of Twilight's unique plot options in favor of Starlight. Spike and Twilight are like brother and sister. If his origin is to be explored, it needs to be explored with Twilight at his side. Creating an instant bond between Spike and Starlight with the help of "lol plot" is thus not only unneeded to explore Spike's history but also very counterproductive as it would once again have to picture Twilight as a second-grade idiot who, for some convoluted reason or another, wouldn't tag along on one of her little brother's most important quests in his life. Do you understand? Even if our glorious writers would push Starlight as some important part of Spike's history it would still have to be his pony sister playing the most important part as his support. In simple words: STARLIGHT IS IRRELEVANT EITHER WAY. Thus she shouldn't even be in such an episode. So why even bother creating a convoluted plot unless you just want to push your waifu?

And as far as other dragon-related stuff goes, Spike always has the Ember option. Tell me again why Starlight would be such a great addition to his lore episode? They even have similar humor and they both need someone else to make it work.

The title is uncommon bond, not unique bond. My proposition does nothing to weaken the bond between Twilight and Spike, Twilight is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. You are clearly just mad about Starlight and are trying to make up excuses. I'm not a Starlight Glimmer fanboy, if you actually bothered to get over your bias and read the OP you would realize I was just extending a theory by MegaSean that both Spike and Starlight Glimmer would be called by the map, your ridiculous argument could be dismissed just by reading the original post. I just want to see Spike parent episode and this episode is as good an opportunity as any, Starlight Glimmer would just be included because she has to by the nature of premise of Spike and Starlight being called together, and should could have a connection with Spike's parents in the way she had a connection with Maud before Rock Solid Friendship so it's not completely unplausible. The point I was making last comment is that it makes more sense for the episode to be about a new bond rather than an already well established one because they've already had 7 seasons to discuss that bond. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

The title is uncommon bond, not unique bond. My proposition does nothing to weaken the bond between Twilight and Spike, Twilight is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. You are clearly just mad about Starlight and are trying to make up excuses. I'm not a Starlight Glimmer fanboy, if you actually bothered to get over your bias and read the OP you would realize I was just extending a theory by MegaSean that both Spike and Starlight Glimmer would be called by the map, your ridiculous argument could be dismissed just by reading the original post. I just want to see Spike parent episode, Starlight Glimmer would just be included because she has to by the nature of premise of Spike and Starlight being called together, and should could have a connection with Spike's parents in the way she had a connection with Maud before Rock Solid Friendship so it's not completely unplausible. The point I was making last comment is that it makes more sense for the episode to be about a new bond rather than an already well established one because they've already had 7 seasons to discuss that bond. 

And here I am telling you that this is complete bullshit as Spike's origin should be explored in the company of his pony family. It will only get explored once, and using it as an excuse to summon both Spike and Starlight, an event that can happen any time any season on any location, is quite fanboyish. You want a Spike and Starlight episode? Do it with the changelings. They both have reasons to be in those episodes, don't they? So why are you insisting on the validity of this particular plot? It's because of the bond? Well, the friendship between Spike and Starlight is common variety and it has already been established. Sticking her into his origin story and forcefully making the bond superficially "special" due to random circumstances rather than making an episode about a truly uncommon bond based on personalities and/or species of two characters is a bad move of a bad writer. And by the way: the bond between Twilight and Spike, a pony princess and a baby dragon, is a very, very uncommon bond indeed. See, I do not think this bond will be based on some event but on characters, either on what or who they are. From this angle, the bond between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy is actually more uncommon than the bond any past event could form between Spike and Starlight.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, what does Starlight have to do with Spike's parents? There is no reason for her to be shoe-horned into a story. In case we get an episode which reveals Spike's parents, it should be a Twilight/Spike episode.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

And here I am telling you that this is complete bullshit as Spike's origin should be explored in the company of his pony family. It will only get explored once, and using it as an excuse to summon both Spike and Starlight, an event that can happen any time any season on any location, is quite fanboyish. You want a Spike and Starlight episode? Do it with the changelings. They both have reasons to be in those episodes, don't they? So why are you insisting on the validity of this particular plot? It's because of the bond? Well, the friendship between Spike and Starlight is common variety and it has already been established. Sticking her into his origin story and forcefully making the bond superficially "special" due to random circumstances rather than making an episode about a truly uncommon bond based on personalities and/or species of two characters is a bad move of a bad writer. And by the way: the bond between Twilight and Spike, a pony princess and a baby dragon, is a very, very uncommon bond indeed. See, I do not think this bond will be based on some event but on characters, either on what or who they are. From this angle, the bond between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy is actually more uncommon than the bond any past event could form between Spike and Starlight.

I get what you're getting at, but ultimately that's just what your opinion, and you've been very rude at expressing it, accusing me of having Starlight Glimmer as a waifu when I explained my actual reasoning. Cut it out. If you can't take the effort to tackle what I actually wrote, then don't bother commenting at all. 

"Well, the friendship between Spike and Starlight is common variety and it has already been established. " You clearly did not read an earlier comment in the thread were I established this was NOT what I was referring to. Also, you are ignoring the fact that relationships could change in the course of the episode, you're trying to tackle the contents of the episode as being identical to what is already established which is just ridiculous as it defeats the whole point of having an episode. 

"the bond between Twilight and Spike, a pony princess and a baby dragon, is a very, very uncommon bond indeed. " So would a bond between a baby dragon and the most powerful unicorn warlock. Yes, there is more to it with Spike and Twilight, but your reasoning is just bad. Comes across as much more fanboyish as Twilight had nothing to do with the premise I was elaborating on and you're just forcing her in. 

Starlight could have been the one who stole Spike's egg or something, how would that not be extraordinary? You can't say anything about what hasn't happened. The nice thing about the Starlight is that unlike the mane six most of her backstory is still open, there is long period of time between Starbust leaving and her starting Our Town which is undefined, and we know she's been up to things. 

PS: It's not like their can only be one episode with Spike's parents. If Twilight doesn't meet them the first time, she could meet them later. 

Edited by Ganondox

1 hour ago, Ganondox said:

I get what you're getting at, but ultimately that's just what your opinion, and you've been very rude at expressing it, accusing me of having Starlight Glimmer as a waifu when I explained my actual reasoning. Cut it out. If you can't take the effort to tackle what I actually wrote, then don't bother commenting at all. 

"Well, the friendship between Spike and Starlight is common variety and it has already been established. " You clearly did not read an earlier comment in the thread were I established this was NOT what I was referring to. Also, you are ignoring the fact that relationships could change in the course of the episode, you're trying to tackle the contents of the episode as being identical to what is already established which is just ridiculous as it defeats the whole point of having an episode. 

"the bond between Twilight and Spike, a pony princess and a baby dragon, is a very, very uncommon bond indeed. " So would a bond between a baby dragon and the most powerful unicorn warlock. Yes, there is more to it with Spike and Twilight, but your reasoning is just bad. Comes across as much more fanboyish as Twilight had nothing to do with the premise I was elaborating on and you're just forcing her in. 

Starlight could have been the one who stole Spike's egg or something, how would that not be extraordinary? You can't say anything about what hasn't happened. The nice thing about the Starlight is that unlike the mane six most of her backstory is still open, there is long period of time between Starbust leaving and her starting Our Town which is undefined, and we know she's been up to things. 

PS: It's not like their can only be one episode with Spike's parents. If Twilight doesn't meet them the first time, she could meet them later. 

So you're gonna justify it all with a fanfic? Just because something can be portrayed as achievable doesn't mean it's worth pursuing. What would the show gain with such an episode? What would be the message? Can this massage be done in another way? Can it be done with other characters better? Have you considered the possibility that the whole egg thief route would regress Starlight as a character? And again, this bond would not be uncommon at its heart. The only uncommon thing would be the convoluted premise. The true uncommon bond is still between Spike and his pony sister. The only reason I'm charging in on Twilight is because we're talking about Spike. You do realize these two are really close and that having such an episode without one or the other would seem rather puzzling not only to me but to the viewers who are used to their relationship. Call me a fanboy. Call me a hater. It changes nothing.

I'm going to weight in on the "no" side of this argument.

The idea of a special relationship between Starlight and Spike is forced. Although they interacted in the Season Six opener, since then interaction between Starlight and Spike has been fairly superficial. I am sure that they are friends, just like Spike is friends with many ponies, but we don't see it in the show, and thus it has no plot relevance.

It is possible for this to change, in the same sense that anything is technically possible. But there is no reason for it other than wishful thinking. I would consider it more plausible for it to be a Spike/Rarity episode than a Spike/Starlight one, although if it is an episode involving Spike, I would agree that Spike/Twilight is the most likely pairing.

• Brohoof 1