With Discord being ineligible to be in the MLP Movie it got me thinking about his future:

Have the writers made Discord too powerful for his own future in the universe?

:huh:

With any foe or problem they face, he could ultimately fix it at the snap of his fingers, therefore making him ineligible for battle or fate of equestria episodes. does this mean he’ll be resigned to a background character, with no more stories about him or his powers?

If so, what episode themes would you like to see him in? I’d love to see if there’s anyway he, Celestia and Luna could become real friends. OR I’d love to see him use his powers for good in a battle episode that makes sense for him being there.  

988EBA21-75B3-42F4-84B0-DC66B75F3F00.gif.8e94ebb51adc41f577e119788a74311e.gif

Edited by Rainbow Glitterswirl
  • Brohoof 3

Discord's obviously not a background character, he still appears in episodes and is even one of the main characters of those episodes sometimes, just because he often doesn't show up in the two-parter's doesn't relegate him to "Background" status. But yes, Discord's powers are a bit of an issue, he can snap his fingers and bend reality around him like it's play-dough, how do you write around someone like that? When Discord does appear in a two-parter or epic adventure episode, you have to find a reason why he can't just snap the villain away, or drown them in Orange Soda or whatever.

Obviously, Discord isn't always particularly helpful, he might refused to do much on the grounds of finding the situation entertaining, sort of like what he did in the Season 4 premiere. But he's a bit more truly reformed than he was back then and I think you could only get away with that so much, especially when you have Fluttershy there and he'd probably do at least something if she asked nicely. You can have something steal or disable his powers, like Tirek or Chrysalis's throne, but there are so many times you can pull out anti-magic objects or magic-sucking villains before it starts to seem a bit silly. You could also make the villain somehow immune to, or capable of countering Discord's powers, which they haven't tried yet, but could work.

But the easiest solution is to just leave him out of most two-parter's, which can seem a bit cheap, but he's the Spirit of Chaos and doesn't really live in Ponyville, so it's not hard to believe he only pops in when he feels like it and is off doing other stuff a lot of the time. I've seen some suggest to lessen his power, but I think some of Discord's charm comes from watching him treat the world around him like his own personal playground, so that comes with it's own downsides. A temporarily depowered Discord might make for a fun episode or even story-arc, but I'm not sure I'd like it to be permanent.

As for his future...I imagine he'll keep appearing in and occasionally starring in the slice of life episodes, and every now and then when the writer's think of something he'll play a role in the two-parter's, no different than what he's doing now really.

• Brohoof 3

They need to find a way to weaken him if they want him appear more often or else, he will have to be disappeared whenever the writers want to raise the stake. They could use Discordant Harmony episode to make some excuse like due to his trying to live in harmony with ponies, his power getting less powerful.

Rewrite his effects or ban him.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think he's going anywhere and is safe from being written out of the show, but he might get his power chopped over time like Hasbro has done with characters in Transformers. Just never killed off like some of those.

Whenever a new Transformer had been introduced they were the most powerful and defeated everything, then eventually even the Combiners became nothing extraordinary.

I feel that eventually Discord will be like Starlight. Remember all the complaints of her being all kinds of OP since she was able to match Twilight who's an Alicorn? Well when her best friend came to visit her in the leadup to the s7 finale, she had trouble levitating a simple piece of luggage that he had no issue with. Zero. In case I'm really the only one who's noticed this, they're stealth nerfing Starlight, and I feel it's only a matter of time before Discord suffers the same fate

Edited by Lektra Bolt

I am unsure as to what else the writers could do with Discord other than place him in a final battle along with the main characters. He could still learn a few lessons but I don't see the writers doing a lot more with him.

1 hour ago, BasementSparkle said:

Discord's obviously not a background character, he still appears in episodes and is even one of the main characters of those episodes sometimes, just because he often doesn't show up in the two-parter's doesn't relegate him to "Background" status. But yes, Discord's powers are a bit of an issue, he can snap his fingers and bend reality around him like it's play-dough, how do you write around someone like that? When Discord does appear in a two-parter or epic adventure episode, you have to find a reason why he can't just snap the villain away, or drown them in Orange Soda or whatever.

Obviously, Discord isn't always particularly helpful, he might refused to do much on the grounds of finding the situation entertaining, sort of like what he did in the Season 4 premiere. But he's a bit more truly reformed than he was back then and I think you could only get away with that so much, especially when you have Fluttershy there and he'd probably do at least something if she asked nicely. You can have something steal or disable his powers, like Tirek or Chrysalis's throne, but there are so many times you can pull out anti-magic objects or magic-sucking villains before it starts to seem a bit silly. You could also make the villain somehow immune to, or capable of countering Discord's powers, which they haven't tried yet, but could work.

But the easiest solution is to just leave him out of most two-parter's, which can seem a bit cheap, but he's the Spirit of Chaos and doesn't really live in Ponyville, so it's not hard to believe he only pops in when he feels like it and is off doing other stuff a lot of the time. I've seen some suggest to lessen his power, but I think some of Discord's charm comes from watching him treat the world around him like his own personal playground, so that comes with it's own downsides. A temporarily depowered Discord might make for a fun episode or even story-arc, but I'm not sure I'd like it to be permanent.

As for his future...I imagine he'll keep appearing in and occasionally starring in the slice of life episodes, and every now and then when the writer's think of something he'll play a role in the two-parter's, no different than what he's doing now really.

@BasementSparkle thank you so much for your wonderful response! I agree with you that they could pose an element or villain who could sap his powers, but eventually when does that get cliché?

I do LOVE your idea of creating a character who is immune to or capable of countering his powers. Perhaps that a GREAT idea for a friendship episode, where he encounters this person, dislikes them because they're too similar, but then ultimately learn to "play well" with one another and then he has a friend who's on a similar level magically and mischievous as him!

I too think it's a cheap shot to leave him out of two parters, though I did forget that he technically doesn't live in Ponyville. I have the bad habit of just clumping everypony together as if they're just down the street from one another. (even the ponys and princesses in other cities haha)

I do see the benefit and logic of @Lambdadelta and @Lektra Bolt with the weakening of his powers. Seeing as they're kind of doing this with Starlight, it would seem passible that because he's not causing as much chaos as his previous years running free, his powers would weaken or become a bit dull. No necessarily go away forever but maybe they make an episode about his powers weakening, him having a breakdown over it, then the girls posing a Discord Day celebration that one day a year everything gets turned upside down? Could be fun? 

• Brohoof 3

I kinda forget about this guy hehe  :twi:  I mean, he used to be a great villain but now he's just Fluttershy's friend ! I don't even see him as powerful or dangerous any more, he's just...passive and I think that's too bad, producer should give him another chance to shine ! A big fight, a quest, maybe something related with the Cutie Map ! But no more episode about him being to tea party host and more episode with adventure ! (even if that episode was fun)

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lektra Bolt said:

she had trouble levitating a simple piece of luggage that he had no issue with. Zero

They did it to her in the comic too... I know her magic based on her emotion but at its worse it will never be worse than Trixie (she can throw the huge rock at the mole in To Change a Changeling). They just nerfed character power for no reason at all, that BS.

1 hour ago, Rainbow Glitterswirl said:

I agree with you that they could pose an element or villain who could sap his powers, but eventually when does that get cliché?

If that said villain could weaken Discord PERMANENTLY, then you dont have repeat it every season.

12 minutes ago, Trotteur Sauvage said:

more episode with adventure !

And these episodes will have less than 10 minute because Discord could just snap it in 30s, the rest 9 minute and 30s will be used for introduce the conflicts and Opening/Credit songs.:love:

• Brohoof 4

Discord has a potenial to become the main character for the second movie. He could encounter a tough villain from another dimension with powers similar to Discord and have them fight over Equestria. They could also give a big role to Fluttershy as she is a huge part of his character and and his possible romantic interest which could create a ShrekxFiona dynamic in the movie. His past is also vastly unexplored which could give us a lot of lore (which the first movie lacked)

• 6 years later...
On 2017-11-06 at 7:52 AM, Lambdadelta said:

They need to find a way to weaken him if they want him appear more often or else, he will have to be disappeared whenever the writers want to raise the stake. They could use Discordant Harmony episode to make some excuse like due to his trying to live in harmony with ponies, his power getting less powerful.

On 2017-11-06 at 7:52 AM, Lambdadelta said:

On 2017-11-06 at 10:03 AM, Lambdadelta said:

They did it to her in the comic too... I know her magic based on her emotion but at its worse it will never be worse than Trixie (she can throw the huge rock at the mole in To Change a Changeling). They just nerfed character power for no reason at all, that BS.

If that said villain could weaken Discord PERMANENTLY, then you dont have repeat it every season.

And these episodes will have less than 10 minute because Discord could just snap it in 30s, the rest 9 minute and 30s will be used for introduce the conflicts and Opening/Credit songs.:love:

On 2017-11-06 at 9:47 AM, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

I kinda forget about this guy hehe  :twi:  I mean, he used to be a great villain but now he's just Fluttershy's friend ! I don't even see him as powerful or dangerous any more, he's just...passive and I think that's too bad, producer should give him another chance to shine ! A big fight, a quest, maybe something related with the Cutie Map ! But no more episode about him being to tea party host and more episode with adventure ! (even if that episode was fun)

On 2017-11-06 at 8:51 AM, Rainbow Glitterswirl said:

@BasementSparkle thank you so much for your wonderful response! I agree with you that they could pose an element or villain who could sap his powers, but eventually when does that get cliché?

I do LOVE your idea of creating a character who is immune to or capable of countering his powers. Perhaps that a GREAT idea for a friendship episode, where he encounters this person, dislikes them because they're too similar, but then ultimately learn to "play well" with one another and then he has a friend who's on a similar level magically and mischievous as him!

I too think it's a cheap shot to leave him out of two parters, though I did forget that he technically doesn't live in Ponyville. I have the bad habit of just clumping everypony together as if they're just down the street from one another. (even the ponys and princesses in other cities haha)

I do see the benefit and logic of @Lambdadelta and @Lektra Bolt with the weakening of his powers. Seeing as they're kind of doing this with Starlight, it would seem passible that because he's not causing as much chaos as his previous years running free, his powers would weaken or become a bit dull. No necessarily go away forever but maybe they make an episode about his powers weakening, him having a breakdown over it, then the girls posing a Discord Day celebration that one day a year everything gets turned upside down? Could be fun? 

On 2017-11-06 at 8:40 AM, Venomous said:

I am unsure as to what else the writers could do with Discord other than place him in a final battle along with the main characters. He could still learn a few lessons but I don't see the writers doing a lot more with him.

On 2017-11-06 at 8:11 AM, Lektra Bolt said:

I don't think he's going anywhere and is safe from being written out of the show, but he might get his power chopped over time like Hasbro has done with characters in Transformers. Just never killed off like some of those.

Whenever a new Transformer had been introduced they were the most powerful and defeated everything, then eventually even the Combiners became nothing extraordinary.

I feel that eventually Discord will be like Starlight. Remember all the complaints of her being all kinds of OP since she was able to match Twilight who's an Alicorn? Well when her best friend came to visit her in the leadup to the s7 finale, she had trouble levitating a simple piece of luggage that he had no issue with. Zero. In case I'm really the only one who's noticed this, they're stealth nerfing Starlight, and I feel it's only a matter of time before Discord suffers the same fate

On 2017-11-06 at 7:17 AM, BastementSparkle said:

On 2017-11-06 at 6:38 AM, Rainbow Glitterswirl said:

With Discord being ineligible to be in the MLP Movie it got me thinking about his future:

Have the writers made Discord too powerful for his own future in the universe?

:huh:

With any foe or problem they face, he could ultimately fix it at the snap of his fingers, therefore making him ineligible for battle or fate of equestria episodes. does this mean he’ll be resigned to a background character, with no more stories about him or his powers?

If so, what episode themes would you like to see him in? I’d love to see if there’s anyway he, Celestia and Luna could become real friends. OR I’d love to see him use his powers for good in a battle episode that makes sense for him being there.  

988EBA21-75B3-42F4-84B0-DC66B75F3F00.gif.8e94ebb51adc41f577e119788a74311e.gif

No! The writers should have saved him for the END of the whole show, like the Disney Writers did for the Collector and Bill Cipher! I mean, Bill Cipher can literally do anything Discord can, same with the Collector, the Collector was even REFORMED, so the should have done that!

Instead, they should make Discord EVEN MORE Powerful! Stronger and better, but keep him out of Ponyville, and give him his own Episodes and Dimensional Chaotic Quests, AWAY from Equestria! He does not even live in Equestria, he is not even from equestria! Heck, he regularly hangs out around and in the Horsehead Nebulae!

Make Discord be capable of such strengths that he can possess the Authors of MLP:FIM and even control his own Animation! Though keep him out of Equestria most of the times, and give him his own Episodes! Now, that would be an Adventure!

Although the show has ended now... Bummer...

Go Discord! You are the best Character and are stronger than Bill Cipher!