Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unicorns are actually OP

St3venp

55 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Maybe but as for now there's far more unicorns shown to be considered for the position that any other race

What do you mean by this? 

56 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

There's a reason for why unicorns are a lot more popular with the fandom. I can assure you that almost 4 out of 10 chooses unicorn OC

As humans, we dislike the idea of losing our hands. If the race that let's us still handle objects also gives us magic powers...

It's true that earthpony magic has been left very vague though.

53 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

What do you mean by this? 

As humans, we dislike the idea of losing our hands. If the race that let's us still handle objects also gives us magic powers...

It's true that earthpony magic has been left very vague though.

What I mean is that so far, twilight sparkle, sunset shimmer, and twilight's other student are all unicorns and have celestial names. Starswirl is not alicorn but is a unicorn compared in power and ability to defend equestria and is the leader of his own group of elements. Sombra is a unicorn, which may not be an alicorn but seeks a position equivalent to one. Same with Stigian when possesed by the pony of shadows, unicorn. Starlight glimmer, overpowered unicorn. 

Aside from Cozy Glow, when have you seen anything other than a unicorn from the three races being that threatening.

And what? As humans? I would guess it would be terrible if you loose your anything but earth ponies are not loosing a limb, the other ones are gaining something extra you being human or pony the ability to fly and cast spells is fantastical which I would say appeals to everyone because is out of the normal while being earth pony is not being anything special. who would think that you will loose a limb while choosing an earth pony OC? your point is invalid.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Powerful archmages are powerful, yes. But the only one to cross the boundary to alicornhood was Twilight, not by her own power (though it might have helped) but rather by the power of the Elements, which she didn't need to be a unicorn to bear.

And to become an earthpony is losing our fingers. Maybe pegasus wing-fingers are a suitable replacement, but unicorn tk is a lot handier. Plus as you said, flight/magic which are human dreams.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Latecomer said:

Powerful archmages are powerful, yes. But the only one to cross the boundary to alicornhood was Twilight, not by her own power (though it might have helped) but rather by the power of the Elements, which she didn't need to be a unicorn to bear.

And to become an earthpony is losing our fingers. Maybe pegasus wing-fingers are a suitable replacement, but unicorn tk is a lot handier. Plus as you said, flight/magic which are human dreams.

You haven't payed attention to pinkie and Applejack do you? They can use their manes and tails as extra limbs. And Fluttershy didn't have any issues tying knots.

Also I think there's more important things and things that come to mind first when choosing an OC than fingers. If that were the case why choose a pony at all. 

1 minute ago, Ittoni said:

You haven't payed attention to pinkie and Applejack do you? They can use their manes and tails as extra limbs. And Fluttershy didn't have any issues tying knots.

Also I think there's more important things and things that come to mind first when choosing an OC than fingers. If that were the case why choose a pony at all. 

And quite a few people do choose earthpony OCs. But there's no great reason to do so. And even unicorns can use capillurgy to a degree - look at Rarity carrying the package in Party of One.

6 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

And quite a few people do choose earthpony OCs. But there's no great reason to do so. And even unicorns can use capillurgy to a degree - look at Rarity carrying the package in Party of One.

Then what's special about earth ponies? And why people should choose one?

• Brohoof 1

Then what's special about earth ponies? And why people should choose one?

All earthponies? Maybe nothing. But they're still ponies - magical and possessed of special talents. That's a lot more special then many of us are, to be honest.

Perhaps people identify with the Apples or the Pies. Perhaps they find value in harvesting the fruits of the earth, living or otherwise. Perhaps they just think wings and horns look tacky. Perhaps you should start a thread and ask?  

1 minute ago, Latecomer said:

All earthponies? Maybe nothing. But they're still ponies - magical and possessed of special talents. That's a lot more special then many of us are, to be honest.

Perhaps people identify with the Apples or the Pies. Perhaps they find value in harvesting the fruits of the earth, living or otherwise. Perhaps they just think wings and horns look tacky. Perhaps you should start a thread and ask?  

I will because I would like to know but we are talking right now about op races. In order it would be then alicorns, unicorns, pegasy, and at the very bottom earth ponies in that order. There's no balance.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

I will because I would like to know but we are talking right now about op races. In order it would be then alicorns, unicorns, pegasy, and at the very bottom earth ponies in that order. There's no balance.

Certianly in terms of their displayed abilities. Though there's also a lot of imblance within races.

10 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Certianly in terms of their displayed abilities. Though there's also a lot of imblance within races.

Yeah but when even Snails can fly, the entire population of ponyville can shoot lasers, rarity can do a protection spell and shoot lasers as well, you start to wonder since we don't see anything similar from the other races. The Pegasus don't create a blizzard with their wings nor the other earth ponies gain super strength, which means that that kind of magic is natural for unicorns and they know it, they just don't want to use it. What are the others gonna do? Fly? Grow plants around the enemy? Earth ponies haven't even been shown to do that. Good ol' twilight can grow crops with her magic. So... Unicorns Master race.

17-46-56-images.jpg

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Yeah but when even Snails can fly, the entire population of ponyville can shoot lasers, rarity can do a protection spell and shoot lasers as well, you start to wonder since we don't see anything similar from the other races. The Pegasus don't create a blizzard with their wings nor the other earth ponies gain super strength, which means that that kind of magic is natural for unicorns and they know it, they just don't want to use it. What are the others gonna do? Fly? Grow plants around the enemy? Earth ponies haven't even been shown to do that. Good ol' twilight can grow crops with her magic. So... Unicorns Master race.

17-46-56-images.jpg

All of Rarity's actual good magic vanished after season 1, and very few unicorns have done anything cool with their powers since. We've seen some pretty impressive pegasus displays. And technically, we don't know that she can't only grow them because she has earthpony magic. 

One thing both of the Season 9 two-parters are good at is battle scenes where the whole Mane 6 pull their weight, regardless of race.

2 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

All of Rarity's actual good magic vanished after season 1, and very few unicorns have done anything cool with their powers since. We've seen some pretty impressive pegasus displays. And technically, we don't know that she can't only grow them because she has earthpony magic. 

One thing both of the Season 9 two-parters are good at is battle scenes where the whole Mane 6 pull their weight, regardless of race.

you are being too kind to the others but not objective. Maybe in concept it's balanced if you reaaaally think about it and make the effort but in the show and for what we can see as facts is not like that and the preferences are evident. Is just like the fact that changelings are the master species.

4 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

you are being too kind to the others but not objective. Maybe in concept it's balanced if you reaaaally think about it and make the effort but in the show and for what we can see as facts is not like that and the preferences are evident. Is just like the fact that changelings are the master species.

Well yes. But this is a character-based show, so the value of people is not just in their powers. All the races can have strong characters. Plus, there are non-racial abilites like Pinkie and Fluttershy have.

2 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Well yes. But this is a character-based show, so the value of people is not just in their powers. All the races can have strong characters. Plus, there are non-racial abilites like Pinkie and Fluttershy have.

But it's exactly like saying "earth ponies can do whatever they want and achieve anything because they have all the possibilities" just like everyone else as ponies (species) regarthless of their race, but that doesn't make things better and accepts that they are not as good as a race as the others because you are trying to find an alternative to their worth as a race. It's actually worse. 

7 hours ago, Ittoni said:

But it's exactly like saying "earth ponies can do whatever they want and achieve anything because they have all the possibilities" just like everyone else as ponies (species) regarthless of their race, but that doesn't make things better and accepts that they are not as good as a race as the others because you are trying to find an alternative to their worth as a race. It's actually worse. 

It depends - sometimes characters are better and more relatable because of their limitations. Like Scootaloo. Or are you one of the ones who wanted her to fly?

We humans want to be able to fly and use magic, but we can't. The strength and stamina of a horse is also beyond us, but is at least easier to imagine.

Not everyone can do anything. A pegasus can't cast spells, an earthpony can't fly, and a weedy unicorn can't hoofwrestle or run any distance. But every pony has something they can do, and do well - that is their blessing. 

7 hours ago, Latecomer said:

It depends - sometimes characters are better and more relatable because of their limitations. Like Scootaloo. Or are you one of the ones who wanted her to fly?

We humans want to be able to fly and use magic, but we can't. The strength and stamina of a horse is also beyond us, but is at least easier to imagine.

Not everyone can do anything. A pegasus can't cast spells, an earthpony can't fly, and a weedy unicorn can't hoofwrestle or run any distance. But every pony has something they can do, and do well - that is their blessing. 

what is your point exactly? because we are going in circles here and in my earth ponies magic thread.

I would like to have earth ponies just as equally represented, explained and with a clear understanding of what can they do as a race not individual talents since all of them can achieve anything as individuals but just like Syndrome said "when everyone's super, no one will be", to balance them out with what unicorns can do, throw pegasus to the formula too. You want them to not be  so they stay like they are and so they can be appreciated for what they can't do? do you want me not to find a cool way to balance them out since the writers and the show didn't bother to explain it? are you following canon or not? are you only implying the core philosophy of the three tribes or are you basing what you say with the facts of the show not what they say it should be? you said that unicorns are actually op in the show but now you're saying that they are all balanced because earth ponies are just as valuable for what they can't be and for what we have never seen them all do in the show, so which is it?

you know... it's my fault to try to argue with you because every time you counter argue with me at least (in any thread) you take it a bit too seriously or try to counterargue with anything just to keep going, and i try to share my opinions which is just that, opinions and wishful desires, but it feels like you are trying to tell me something else or try to convince me of something i don't agree with. and i'm tired. 

if you believe they are balanced it's fine. Go with it. but don't try to argue with me on it because i have my own opinions on the matter that are as valid as any other. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

I would like to have earth ponies just as equally represented, explained and with a clear understanding of what can they do as a race

It would be nice, but it's probably too late at this point. I thought it was plants, but that doesn't make sense for. say, the Pies. I think the closest we can get is "things of the earth", just like pegasi have powers related to "things of the sky".

And I don't think the races are balanced exactly, but I'm not sure if they should be. I wouldn't want to ban weather spells, for instance. But I'd love to see more earthpony magic. (Twilight's ascension was an ideal opportunity, too.)

2 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

It would be nice, but it's probably too late at this point. I thought it was plants, but that doesn't make sense for. say, the Pies. I think the closest we can get is "things of the earth", just like pegasi have powers related to "things of the sky".

And I don't think the races are balanced exactly, but I'm not sure if they should be. I wouldn't want to ban weather spells, for instance. But I'd love to see more earthpony magic. (Twilight's ascension was an ideal opportunity, too.)

then stop f*****g arguing with me!

There is always a way to balance races, even when one of them seems so above the others; unicorns have the potential to be really OP, but most of them master levitation and some really basic spells from what we've seen. Earth ponies and pegasi (not sure that's correctly written, but whatever) seems to have a passive connection to magic, but to me , pegasi for exemple can go above that passive connection as seen with Rainbow: all that speed has to come from somewhere, it can't be all muscles, like some kind of magical Speed Force or something. Granted, earth ponies seem to have the least; but their connection to life I suppose (more plants really) seems stronger than other race's; so they're still crucial in maintaining the pony society. And I'm sure if given enough time, an earth pony could tap more and more into their superior physical abilities to become really powerful.

That's the way I look at it; it can always be balanced. Obviously big characters like Celestia are above every pony race, but hey, you never know

• Brohoof 1