Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Private Messages

kinda deleted

The PM system is a service offered by and run through MLP Forums, as such it is subject to all of the same rules.
All PM's can be accessed by administrators and I believe moderators as well to monitor for any sort of infringements to those rules, There is a "Report reply" option available on the posts of a PM that can be used to notify staff of any transgressions, things like NSFW media or harassment, should you wish to share anything that could be considered a violation of the forum rules it is advised that you make use of other services.

TLDR: Yes.

Edited by Snow
  • Brohoof 4

As mentioned by @Yamet and @Snow we do have the ability to read PMs, but I should advise that's only when it's absolutely necessary. That is not something that we will do simply on the fly, nor when we just feel like it. We will only do so when we have reason to believe that a rules infringement of some sort is occurring through the PM system; whether that be harassment, stalking, NSFW activity of any sort (so no ERP of any sort), or anything of that sort. This is a matter taken with the utmost seriousness, and will be treated as such; period.

• Brohoof 9

21 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

(...) We will only do so when we have reason to believe that a rules infringement of some sort is occurring through the PM system; whether that be harassment, stalking, NSFW activity of any sort (so no ERP of any sort), or anything of that sort. (...)

Hmm.. Not that I have anything to hide, but that fragment made me curious~ Are you referring to the report function or do you actually visit suspicious looking conversations? Then, how exactly can you suspect that? Just by conversation's title? Shouldn't PM's be only visible to staff when reported by one of participants (aside from browsing database etc.)? Otherwise, these will not be actually private, will they? :twi: 

But well.. it's not called "Private Messages", nor anything similar, so yeah- that may suggest, that these doesn't have to be 100% private.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Rikifive said:

But well.. it's not called "Private Messages

Correct, There is absolutely no mention of them being private whatsoever, in fact, I recall users and even staff members referring to them as "Personal Messages" the little technicality implying that yes, they are between two or more select people but like any personal conversation can be, shall we say, listened in on, this is obviously never done with malicious intent by the staff members, but again to monitor for anything in violation of the guidelines, and as Path said:

On 03/01/2018 at 2:02 AM, PathfinderCS said:

is not something that we will do simply on the fly, nor when we just feel like it.

16 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Shouldn't PM's be only visible to staff when reported by one of participants

A good example for you is NSFW roleplaying conducted through the messaging system, you can imagine that none involved would report what they are wilfully doing, therefor some form of investigation must be made in order to find and stop such things, to have the highest ranking staff unable to access part of the forum is in my opinion not practical when considering the above.

• Brohoof 1

@Snow Yep, yep, that's true the messenger could be used to bypass rule breaking, so that's understandable. Personally I don't mind staff viewing my messages. I was just curious, nothing else.  :derp: Thanks for clarifying nevertheless. :) 

However--- Aww then they'll know, that I'm constantly breaking rules. D: I have totally wrecked the following rule through the messenger.

Write in proper, legible English.

I'll better hide the walls of text in Polish language I've made. :derp:
Just kidding! :D 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3

On 1/3/2018 at 7:45 AM, Rikifive said:

Hmm.. Not that I have anything to hide, but that fragment made me curious~ Are you referring to the report function or do you actually visit suspicious looking conversations? Then, how exactly can you suspect that? Just by conversation's title? Shouldn't PM's be only visible to staff when reported by one of participants (aside from browsing database etc.)? Otherwise, these will not be actually private, will they? :twi: 

But well.. it's not called "Private Messages", nor anything similar, so yeah- that may suggest, that these doesn't have to be 100% private.

An Admin can view PM's without the report function being used. There is a process involved though. 

Here is a classic example of how it is done correctly. 

You have three members. Member A is 13 years old. Member B is 23 years old. Member C is a friend of Member A. Member B is engaging in inappropriate behavior with member A. Member A mentions they are uncomfortable with what Member B is doing and confides in Member C. Member C suggests Member A go to staff or report the PM. Member A is hesitant. Member C takes initiative and contacts staff on their own, usually a Mod. Mod informs Administration and recommends that they review the PM conversation to verify the accusation since Moderators do not have that level of access. A discussion occurs and Admins make the final call to investigate the PM's of Member B's interactions with Member A. 

Also, you would be shocked at how often people explicitly mention ongoing ERP's in topics and in status updates. When presented with that evidence, that is when staff invoke a PM search. 

That's not a hypothetical BTW. Just saying. I've seen shit here as an Admin that would make you want to vomit. 

Also, past Admins like myself have made clear to the community several times before that should an Admin be found to be reviewing PM's without cause they would be removed from staff. I'm sure that is still something that PathfinderCS would agree with.

• Brohoof 4

• The topic was locked