Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Tempest is best pony villain.

Porrot

I can't really find the words, but I'm infatuated with her. Is she generally regarded as a cliche "edgy" bad guy? I don't care, personally... i love her. She has an edgier (don't hate me for using that word in a positive sense, please) backstory than Luna and Starlight Glimmer combined. The isolation and loneliness that Luna suffered and the losses that Starlight felt, done better, bigger and badder. Her pain just feels more real and convincing than the others. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, so I'll leave it at that.

hello kittty.png

• Brohoof 3

I found the backstory that led to her becoming a villain a bit on the weak side (but that tends to be a characteristic of the franchise and I'm used to it by now).  The broken horn, the scar, the mane, the armour, all combine to make her look like an edgy teenager's OC.  And I love her to bits.  I have two t-shirts, a Build-a-bear plush and a brushable figure (I very rarely buy those).  The fan series figure of her fighting with Twilight is in the mail, winging its way towards me as I type this.  Her song is one of the highlights of the film for me, and if I manage to get tickets for UK Ponycon this year she will be at the top of my hunting list.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

I originally thought she was an edgy OC, but I ended up loving everything about her and I couldn't agree more about her being the best.

Spoiler

I mean, she is the first pony that's actually able to throw down.

1473910__safe_screencap_tempest+shadow_m

• Brohoof 2

She has an edgier (don't hate me for using that word in a positive sense, please) backstory than Luna and Starlight Glimmer combined.

As much as I like Tempest, gonna have to disagree.

Luna got corrupted by an envy-powered being/personality, then spent a millennium in space-itary confinement; Tempest's and Starlight's backstories are nowhere close in terms of "edginess."

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

Did you read the prequel comics? They set up back story for most of the characters. I think it is a bit weak to believe a pony would turn evil just because of that. I mean, surely she would have had love and support. But, as was mentioned, the nature of the show dictates that kind of thing. Plus you want her to be redeemable.

I was thinking, if the Storm King fixed her horn then he would have won.

But I do love her too. I have her Build a Bear. 

3 hours ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

I think it is a bit weak to believe a pony would turn evil just because of that. 

Honestly, I see her as more desperate with a STRONG feeling of being betrayed by the very morals she was likely taught as a foal; not so much evil. While she didn't exactly hate what she was doing in the movie, her goal was to restore something that was lost to her, and the Storm King was her proverbial savior. As such she felt obligated to follow his word and do as he said. As such, he trusted her enough to make her his lieutenant and she repaid that faith.

If anything, she's actually a character with quite a bit of depth to her.

I liked Tempest's backstory, because it did seem more built up and realistic compared to other backstories such as Starlight's. The only thing that I feel would have made it better is if we had gotten to see how she met the Storm King and rose up through the ranks in his army. Though that's just my opinion, overall she really did have an excellent backstory (as an added bonus I loved how they animated her backstory differently in the movie, it made it stand out from the other scenes).  

Edited by King of Canterlot
  • Brohoof 1

On 21/02/2018 at 3:21 PM, A.V. said:

As much as I like Tempest, gonna have to disagree.

Luna got corrupted by an envy-powered being/personality, then spent a millennium in space-itary confinement; Tempest's and Starlight's backstories are nowhere close in terms of "edginess."

I agree with you completely. Tempest is an interesting character (I guess) in certain terms. And I read the prequel stories and all that, and I still dont' find her nearly as interesting or as complex as Celestia and Luna. Their situation was a lot more emotionally charged and painful. As for Tempest, little ponies get picked on all the time. The story also really lacks actual information on her parents. Didn't they support her, and love her? Take care of her after the accident? I understand her being upset at her friends and not being too trustworthy of making new friends but as for having people that loved and cared for her---shouldn't her parents have had a hoof in that? And didn't it mention she left the town at a decently young age? HOW? This comes back to the parents thing. Did she NOT have any family that gave a flying pegasus butt about her? 

Tempest and her reasons for becoming "evil" were shallow and underdeveloped. Not to mention, the Storm King just seemed like a humorous foil. Like, he wasn't the "real" villain. Tempest was supposed to be, and she wasn't really all that threatening. Tirek and Discord were more threatening. Especially Tirek. Even the Prequel stories told little about the Storm King. Why should I be intimidated by him? He did nothing but just show he was the cookie cutter villan that wants all the magic and all the power, with a 'humorous edge'. It's not funny, it's pathetic. He was laughable. I've seen numerous 'blind watches' on YouTube about the movie and a decent bit of them believe that the Storm King was just a distraction and again, laughable.