Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Doom or Quake?

iPonyLover27th

Love Quake but you can't ignore the father of the FPS genre, if it wasn't for Doom the genre wouldn't be what it is today.

Doom 2, all the way.

Edited by Celli

6 hours ago, Vulon Bii said:

I don't think PC gaming would be where it is today without Quake.

Nope, that goes to Doom. If Doom wasn't as successful as it was, Quake wouldn't exist. 

Edited by Celli

29 minutes ago, Celli said:

Nope, that goes to Doom. If Doom wasn't as successful as it was, Quake wouldn't exist. 

Then same applies with Wolfenstein 3d with Doom however :dash:. Never played Quake, so Doom

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

Then same applies with Wolfenstein 3d with Doom however :dash:. Never played Quake, so Doom

Well, Wolf3D wasn't as revolutionary as Doom, it was a hit but Doom far outpaced it in every way, sales, influence on the industry and PC gaming,

Just now, Celli said:

Well, Wolf3D wasn't as revolutionary as Doom, it was a hit but Doom far outpaced it in every way, sales, influence on the industry and PC gaming,

I can see that. W3D as aged pretty bad compared to Doom. And I have a good base on my claim as you can play a pro Nazi version of it in New Colossus  :D

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Celli said:

I think what he meant was that Quake engine is the main inspirator for all modern graphical engines (the very first ones being actual modified versions of that same engine). Yes Doom codified the central mechanics of FPSs, but without Quake game graphics as we know them today wouldn't exist. 

• Brohoof 1