Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Italian stereotypes around the world

Vintjack Greasymane

(edited)

So, I was just roaming around the forums, and suddently Family Guy came to my mind.

I immediately thought about the amount of stereotypes that show makes, especially the ones with Italians. Now, I'm not touchy or anything like that, I usually laugh when I see those clips, but I'd really like to know if we Italians are indeed seen the same way we're represented in the show. Like, do you really imagine us all as Sicilian wiseguys with greasy hair who always wear a white and dirty tank, dark-blue jeans and black boots and who always put an "a" at the end of every word?

I've been working in Brighton, England for five weeks, and when I asked my colleagues if my way of speaking was like that, they told me it was!:lol:

Now, I shouldn't really be taken into account, since even Italians say I'm a stereotype, but anyway, if you've ever managed to meet an Italian guy, was it really like that?

P.S. They don't necessarily have to be adults, you can also take teenagers (like me, after all:P) into account!

Edited by Vintjack Greasymane
  • Brohoof 1

I live in a pretty Italian area in Australia, so I knew a lot of Italians or part Italians growing up, so no, didn't really think much about Italian stereotypes until I came across them in the media haha

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
23 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

When ever I've meet an Italian person it's usually at an Italian family-owned restaurant, and yes, they seem EXTREMELY stereotypical from what they're wearing to their accents 

I should really go abroad and have a look at that!

17 hours ago, _melody_ said:

I live in a pretty Italian area in Australia, so I knew a lot of Italians or part Italians growing up, so no, didn't really think much about Italian stereotypes until I came across them in the media haha

So I guess it's a stereotype that's popular only in the US

22 hours ago, PiratePony said:

It can be pretty accurate. PS I live in the neighborhood from Goodfellas, so, heh...

That's cool!

Edited by Vintjack Greasymane
  • Brohoof 2

Ayyy Italian stereotypes! Are just as bad as any other ones.Yeah Family Guy also does many stereotyping towards Mexicans too.All I can say is.....Comedy has no boundaries.

I'm not Italian or never grew up in an Italian neighborhood growing up so I can't really say if they do act that way or not.I grew up in a mexican neighborhood in a small community called San Pedro in Los Angeles (california).