Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What stereotype bugs you?

~Sugar Sprinkles~

You read the title.

Is there ANY stereotype that bugs you so much? I hate the stereotype that all Irish are drunks. I am part Irish to be honest. I dunno, I just don't like it. I mean, sure they have some strong alcohols, but have you seen America?

Just think about it..

• Brohoof 2

Well remember America is built off a large number of cultures thus STEREOTYPES of said cultures kinda run rampant. Not just in America but all countries. As for or that annoys me is gamers/anime fans/bronys/and comic fans are all fat lazy sweaty no bodies who can't talk to people. It isn't true at all, and when I tell people I'm into all that and they get that no way look it insults me and everyone in know who enjoys these things because of that old "geek" or "nerd" stereotype.

• Brohoof 4

Well remember America is built off a large number of cultures thus STEREOTYPES of said cultures kinda run rampant. Not just in America but all countries. As for or that annoys me is gamers/anime fans/bronys/and comic fans are all fat lazy sweaty no bodies who can't talk to people. It isn't true at all, and when I tell people I'm into all that and they get that no way look it insults me and everyone in know who enjoys these things because of that old "geek" or "nerd" stereotype.

That kind of bugs me too.

I also hate it when they say is gamers and other fans of anything never "go outside" and experience the real world. Not true, I love the outside honestly :P

What stereotype bugs me most?

Its the classic "Women must stay in the kitchen cooking dinner and cleaning the house while Men go to work play video games and not do chores".

And another classic "Girls must like barbies and the color pink and must look pretty Boys must like action figures and superheros and look masculine"

Edited by Moonbacon
  • Brohoof 5

The stereotypes that mostly bugs me are "Christians are assholes" or that they follow everything the "religion" says

Also the "people who wear piercings and get tattoos are bad" or the "people with different sexual orientation are going to hell" it's irritating

Also that there's "a certain age to like stuff" like as in "an adult wouldn't watch a kid show" .__.

Also all the stereo types about music and subcultures. People don't even BOTHER to get informed about them and then assume that people are a certain way because of IT or that IT causes people to be idiotic when in reality the idiotic ones using high school stereotypes are THEM

Any racist stereotype drives me nuts too unless EVERYONE is laughing together AT the racist people (as in they might make a joke that looks racist when in fact they're making fun of racist people)

Any gender stereotype too. Any gender can do what they want it's not like their behavior is suddenly going to change their gender come on

And there's plenty more I could mention that I don't remember at the moment.

The stereotype that Juggalos are drug abusing, illiterate white trash. What's ironic is that I've seen a ton of people on these forums that seem to believe said stereotype

• Brohoof 1

That a pretty girl who's into geeky stuff is only doing it for male attention. I couldn't care less about male attention at cons. I'm there because I want to dress up, watch panels, meet cast members and shop.

On the flip side... That men can never show weakness or emotion. That's bull, we all get emotional, and if we bottle it up it does more damage long-term. It's also really hard to help male students if they refuse to admit they're having problems.

Basically, gender stereotypes bug the hell out of me, and I wish they'd just vanish already. They're like an embarrassing snaggletooth left over from last century.

• Brohoof 7

The stereotype that all women should belong in a kitchen instead of getting a job, seriously it irks me.

Stereotypes were just made to piss people off.

• Brohoof 4

It's not really a specific stereotype, it's more about people thinking "positive" stereotypes are okay. When you stereotype in any way you generalize a culture, marginalize it, and deindividualize people and homogenize them and take away their self identity. A specific one of these is "Asian people are good at math" or "Black people are good at sports," people think it isn't racist because it isn't bad, but it still is. Also it creates a situation where if a person doesn't fit this profile they are called out as not like other Black or Asian people taking away their racial identity. If you don't believe it is harmful check out this interview where Bill O'Reilly insists he is not racist, while the Congresswoman from Hawaii is berated and called out for opposing this stereotype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeP5I3KUlkk

• Brohoof 2

That all PC gamers are pirating, elitist assholes.

Well fuck you, I paid good money for my 127 games and haven't pirated a single game, not to mention that piracy is not only existent but also worse on consoles (according to Intel), and simply preferring PC gaming over consoles doesn't automatically make you an "elitist." Need I remind you that console elitism is a very real thing too? I see more console gamers trash talking other console gamers for getting the "wrong" console than I do PC gamers trash talking other PC gamers for getting the "wrong" processor or GPU. Yeah, there are PC gamers that are definitely elitist dicks, calling console gamers "peasants" and not explaining why PC gaming is better, instead resorting to petty insults, but those guys are typically rejected by other PC gamers. Strangely, insulting other console gamers because they got the console you don't like seems fairly commonplace among them, though.

Oh, and you want to know the most pirated game of 2013? Grand Theft Auto V. Which is, right now, a console exclusive.

I don't like the girls have to be into fashion sort of thing.

Edit: Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that I don't like any stereotypes at all. They're all horrible and whoever made them up deserves something worse than what they have. (Use your imagination to get specific) I especially hate the ones that involve girls.  

Edited by Star Ruby

When I was in the military, I got military stereotyped all the time, for instance people expected we were large burly men like Rambo or G.I. Joe, rather than the eighteen or nineteen year old folks that we were, people also think we can cope with military life and combat like in the movies, just because we can deal with doesn't mean we like it. People also think we are muscle heads, because the military attracts disadvantaged people, in fact there are more high school graduates and college students in the military than in the normal population, the Pentagon discovered this during a armed forces consensus, but the worst stereotype I hear, and it really angers me, is that PTSD veterans are weak, for letting combat get the better of them, it is not easy to deal with spontaneous explosion, ambushes, whizzing bullets or living half a world away from home, nor the mind numbing boredom, so doing that for three hundred days will make anyone stressed, so when we come home, people act quite selfishly clinging on to their benefits, while they deny them to returning troops, then comes that stereotype that we are heroes, I know I was not, I just did my job and got out, however, the people love a winner so they look at us like a sports team, but the stereotypes about military bronies are the same, like saying we are real echelon losers, in reality I know some bronies that have served in the front lines, and not every job in the military is just combat, although we are all trained to fight, so when people say they speak for the troops, what they real speak for is the war.       

Stereotypes in general just bug me.

Perhaps the ones like "all bronies are cloppers" or "all bronies are autistic" bug me the most, but that's just because I'm a brony.

As a Texan, though, I will say most of the stereotypes against us are true, so I can't complain about that :D

Seriously, I hate this state.

• Brohoof 5

Boys being assumed to like sports.

Video gamers stereotyped to be obese, awkward, sweaty autistic people.

Gay being a bad thing (when someone uses the word gay as an insult I almost want to rip their face off).

Christians being homophobic.

Bronies being perverted creeps who fantasise about doing dark things with ponies.

Feminists are the same as missandrists.

These stereotypes make me want to kill someone at times, I easily get irritated by them.

The stereotype that all Texans are... well like this

Myth:

All Texans are Gay haters

Truth:

Not all Texans are Gay haters, if any. We are just not as tolerant to Gays

Myth:

All Texans are stupid

Truth:

There are allot of Texans that are intelligent (Myself included... #humblebrag)

Myth:

All Texas wear cowboy hats...

Truth:

This isn't the 1900s, why do people still think that?

Myth:

Texas talk like this "Howdy Partner! How Y'all Doin'?!"

Truth:

Okay that one is mostly true

Edited by Times S. Hay
  • Brohoof 1

You read the title.

Is there ANY stereotype that bugs you so much? I hate the stereotype that all Irish are drunks. I am part Irish to be honest. I dunno, I just don't like it. I mean, sure they have some strong alcohols, but have you seen America?

I'm part Irish too but I can't say the stereotype annoys me too much. I've seen enough Irishmen to know that they like their alcohol. I think it comes from the distinctive alcohol which comes from Ireland too, like Guinness. It's known for its alcohol so it would make sense that its people would be tied to it...like the Scottish and Haggis. The Americans aren't drunkards because they can't drink. A few (shitty) beers and they're "buzzing" ...its like drinking for people afraid of being drunk. They play drinking games like beer pong which is just putting something in the way of getting drunk.

In Britain we have a drinking game: It's called DRINKING! Here's how it works: You buy a drink, you drink it, you buy a drink, you drink it *continue until last orders* at last orders you by six drinks and you drink, drink, drink, drink, drink. drink and if your mate has to carry you home, you win.

• Brohoof 1

that just because I'm white I stereotype all black people and that all black people are all suddenly innocent because we enslaved them a while back and now we have to make up for it.

yes 1/3 of falsely accused criminals are black, but 2/3 are white, and yet everyone is upset that a third are black... it pisses me off, I'm not saying we should go back to enslaving the blacks, but SERIOUSLY! the only reason 12 years a slave was chosen as best movie and not captain philips was because the damn academy didn't want to be called out as racist because people are dumbasses.

sorry kinda raged.

• Brohoof 2

The one that says all Athiests are know-it-all jerks who will laugh at your religion.

I'm no fan of religion myself, but that has certainly been my experience

*that I've witnessed

Edited by Dattebayo

img-2565098-1-im-sick-of-this-stereotypereally just tired of the nonsense.

Ummm... Is it okay if I don't particularly get this one?

Also, I'd say the one that, while I rarely hear it much... It just gets on my nerves so much: The sterotype that all bronies worship Satan...... I mean... Do I even need elaborate any for that one really?

• Brohoof 2