Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Would you eat a bug?

Cherrychip

Would YOU eat a bug?

My friend had a dried scorpion in middle school, and he made me eat it with him because he's a coward (affectionately) :ButtercupLaugh: it was really crunchy but didn't taste like anything 

If you cover anything in chocolate once it's been baked and dried it's edible, but to actually answer your question, yes, they are an endless source of this world's protein, obviously if multiple species had this revelation, the food chain as we know it would crumble, it's a bottom feeders bait, but yes, many animals will eat insects just instinctively knowing they are a source of protein, also dumber curious animals do this by accident lol, but I mean, if you were hypothetically forced to find your own food in an environment scarce of real prey that would provide you adequate sustanence, you would eat what you can find, the only source of protein for miles, yeah I'd eat the entire colony of ants, or w.e colony were talking about, but just for shits n gigs, I'd probably have to do it on a pay dare, knowing I could extort someone for such an easy task lol

• Brohoof 2

For no reason? No.

If the insect is properly prepared/cooked? Sure. I have once eaten dried grasshoppers seasoned with cheese. They were…disgusting. Even so, I would try more bug dishes.

• Brohoof 1

maybe! it doesn’t sound too bad. i could never eat a scorpion though :umad: maybe a cockroach or something like that. and ofc it would have to be properly prepared and everything 

Edited by brony_bonk
  • Brohoof 1

Only if dead and not one that pops in your mouth :wau: .... or crunches too much.. I guess most do. Like a cricket :wacko: 

Edited by DubWolf
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, DubWolf said:

Only if dead and not one that pops in your mouth :wau: .... or crunches too much.. I guess most do. Like a cricket :wacko: 

Except maybe a worm? :ButtercupLaugh: A fried worm, to be exact. thank you to my first grade teacher for reading that book to the class 

3 hours ago, brony_bonk said:

maybe! it doesn’t sound too bad. i could never eat a scorpion though :umad: maybe a cockroach or something like that. and ofc it would have to be properly prepared and everything 

What about those snails they cook and eat? I could never, myself... :scoots: sounds... slimey... yuck!

4 hours ago, -Solstice- said:

No. You are what you eat, after all. 

Noooooo! Doomed to be half a scorpion because of my friend... I'll get him for this!

8 hours ago, KingCorvus said:

If you cover anything in chocolate once it's been baked and dried it's edible, but to actually answer your question, yes, they are an endless source of this world's protein, obviously if multiple species had this revelation, the food chain as we know it would crumble, it's a bottom feeders bait, but yes, many animals will eat insects just instinctively knowing they are a source of protein, also dumber curious animals do this by accident lol, but I mean, if you were hypothetically forced to find your own food in an environment scarce of real prey that would provide you adequate sustanence, you would eat what you can find, the only source of protein for miles, yeah I'd eat the entire colony of ants, or w.e colony were talking about, but just for shits n gigs, I'd probably have to do it on a pay dare, knowing I could extort someone for such an easy task lol

I love this answer, and it's true! They're actually really good for ya, as unsanitary it seems to some people xD 

Moments ago, Cherrychip said:

Except maybe a worm? :ButtercupLaugh: A fried worm, to be exact. thank you to my first grade teacher for reading that book to the class  

Ooo but everything tastes better fried :ooh: (except pickles)

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Aticus the Adequate said:

Not gonna lie, as a kid, I fond the bugs that Timon and Pumbaa ate in The Lion King to be extremely appetising. As of now though, in real life... I'd probably eat a worm or snails.

Uuuu uuu uuuu I know what you mean!!!

• Brohoof 1

Btw.... Shrimps are a cousin of cockroaches... They're actually cockroaches of the sea ...... So I'm sure everyone who ate a shrimp didn't know they ate a bug..... Same as tomatoes... You actually ate fruit.... So anyone hates fruits in their pizza, surely don't know what they're saying... 

23 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Btw.... Shrimps are a cousin of cockroaches... They're actually cockroaches of the sea ...... So I'm sure everyone who ate a shrimp didn't know they ate a bug..... Same as tomatoes... You actually ate fruit.... So anyone hates fruits in their pizza, surely don't know what they're saying... 

Funny story; my dad didn't know that about shrimp and refused to eat them after watching a documentary about them :ButtercupLaugh:

I think it's fine as long as it's tasty! But escargot- I think my issue with that, for example, would be much more about texture than, "ew I'm eating a snail and that's gross because it's an insect" More like "ugh this is slimey!"

9 hours ago, Cherrychip said:

Funny story; my dad didn't know that about shrimp and refused to eat them after watching a documentary about them :ButtercupLaugh:

I think it's fine as long as it's tasty! But escargot- I think my issue with that, for example, would be much more about texture than, "ew I'm eating a snail and that's gross because it's an insect" More like "ugh this is slimey!"

Actually snails have the same texture as muscles and clams... 🤔

13 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Actually snails have the same texture as muscles and clams... 🤔

Oh, really? Hmm... I do like those...

Might have to embrace my inner Timone and Pumba, then! Have a snail or two! :ButtercupLaugh:

Absolutely not. Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to even if my life counted on it. Bugs are absolutely disgusting and wouldn't be able to get past my gag reflex.