Kind Claw

Hi Everypony!! I'm looking for free or affordable music software to muck around with and perhaps make my first FM do you have any recommendations? 

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated (Brohoofed) :squee:

brohoof.jpg

Hard to find any free music software nowadays. Most basic softwares that have free downloads may only limit you to certain sounds and loops. 

• Brohoof 1

I use FL Studios, which is far from free but should be considered if you wanna try doing this stuff. As for free, I'm not sure, might wanna do a google search, and look at reviews. Though you should just get a free trial of FL Studios, and see if this is something you'll even be interested in.

• Brohoof 1

Sig2.jpg

(edited)

A good free DAW off the top of my head is LMMS. The link to their site is below.

https://lmms.io/

Despite being free, folks have made some amazing stuff with it. Down below is a YouTube channel link to a mainly orchestral composer who uses or has used LMMS for plenty of his work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PCHU13/videos

If you want a DAW on the cheaper side, Reaper is in the double digits and is does well for its asking price. If you are looking to buy a popular DAW, be sure to do your research and make sure you know what you are buying. I'm not a DAW expert my any means, but birdies have told me that different DAWs are better suited for different purposes.

From my personal experience, most of the software costs are going to come from the instruments. You will likely only need one DAW you really like and fits you, but when it comes to the plugins, instruments, sounds, etc, those are going to pile up.

As most people say, free stuff isn't going to be the best. You get what you pay for after all, and if you pay zero expect something close to that.

What genre are you planning to write? If you mention that, maybe it will be easier for other folks to give you more specific help.

Edited by e^2
Added more words.
  • Brohoof 1

Thanks everypony!! for the comments it helps in the end I might just have to buy some software hopefully it wont be too expensive 

I will have one more search and see if there is anything for free.

8 hours ago, Kind Claw said:

Thanks everypony!! for the comments it helps in the end I might just have to buy some software hopefully it wont be too expensive 

I will have one more search and see if there is anything for free.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a paid DAW. You should maybe look at FL Studio, Ableton, or Logic. I know there are others but I really don't know them at all so I can't recommend them. I personally use FL Studio because I like how it looks and how it works.

• 1 month later...