Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does a Pony actually get a "Flowing" mane?

Unity

So, I only called it flowing because I don't know what the effect is called so if someone could correct me that would be cool.

I am talking about how Celestia Luna and Mistmane(One of the pillars) all have mains that sort of flow in some sort of way.

What do you think actually causes this? I think it may just be an affect of being old. It could also show a great accomplishment sort of like becoming an Alicorn since Mistmane is not one but has the mane.

Thoughts?

EDIT Mistmane had a flowing mane before she grew old so that sort of crosses off age.

Edited by Unity

Just now, Lord Midnight Madness said:

It is strange that you mention that only Celestia and Luna have a flowing mane,

I think it may actually have something to do with magical properties as well but that would leave a lot to be explained just like how Star Swirl "The greatest wizard in all of Equestria" does not have one. There is nothing that really makes Mistmane stand out if you ask me, i thought i had something with the age thing but she had one when she was younger as well.

9 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I think it's supposed to represent the great amount of magic a pony has in them if they have a flowing mane.

But again, why would "the greatest wizard" Starswirl not actually have one then.

I think instead of acutal magic it could something like Compassion and knowledge.

2 minutes ago, Buttaflight said:

On that note, I'm honestly surprised Starswirl isn't an alicorn, taken he's supposedly "greater" at magic than Twilight

Nooooo way.

I'm not sure if you are new, but an Alicorn is a serious title granted to ponies who have performed a very troubling task for the better of others.

Spoiler

StarSwirl literally turned a fan of his into a shadow demon that could destroy Equestria because they bullied him. He performed no glorious deed deserving of Alicorn status

I think it must be some kind of magic. And since Mistmane can do it, it can't be an ability exclusive to alicorns. It must be automatic, because I don't think it would be practical for a pony to constantly direct conscious attention toward their mane.

21 minutes ago, cher-bear said:

I always thought it had something to do with Celestia and Luna being princesses. I don't really know though...

Mistmane is not a princess.

8 minutes ago, cher-bear said:

So yeah there goes my fleeting theory. 

Also Luna doesn't have a flowing mane in episode 2. :okiedokieloki:

Welli mean, that may be because of when she was young. I thought it was because of age because of that thing and also because MistMane has one and she is old, but Mistmane had one when she was young.

I really think it has to do with something like Compassion or somethin.

43 minutes ago, Unity said:

Nooooo way.

I'm not sure if you are new, but an Alicorn is a serious title granted to ponies who have performed a very troubling task for the better of others.

I sure am not new to the fandom (over 5 years), but not gonna lie, I didn't remember it was about a task "for the better of others" 

Also, if you think the whole Pony of Shadows situation would not let him become an alicorn, do you think an alicorn title could be sorta erased? I mean, if he did something glorious for others, would become an alicorn and then would make Stygian become the POS, would he lose his title?

Edited by Buttaflight

5 minutes ago, Buttaflight said:

I sure am not new to the fandom (over 5 years), but not gonna lie, I didn't remember it was about a task "for the better of others" 

Also, if you think the whole Pony of Shadows situation would not let him become an alicorn, do you think an alicorn title could be sorta erased? I mean, if he did something glorious for others, would become an alicorn and then would make Stygian become the POS, would he lose his title?

There is a difference between being a good person and not being a bad one.

StarSwirl is clearly not a nice person but he isn't evil he just protects.

I dont think becoming an Alicorn because you are good at magic is how it works. I think it is your own magic. Twilight Sparkle is an alicorn because she is good at Friendship, so much so she became the "master" of the magic you could say.

Same with Cadance.

Even Luna and Celestia do completely different things, they lead Equestria, and also control the Sun and Moon, we dont know why they were made Alicorns or if they were born them but still.

Being good at something anyone can do and mastering a new element for the better of others are different things.

I think it's a sign of immense raw power. Celestia has always had this. Luna has this but she didn't have it during her first appearance which I think is due to her being in a uniquely weakened state. Sombra had this, as did the pony of shadows, but then again both had shadow powers so maybe it's not the same thing. If it is then it could be that Mistmane is extraordinarily powerful but is limited to her role as a pillar and towards making things beautiful. If not, then perhaps it's an ethereal sign of beauty. Having "flowing" hair is often considered beautiful and in MLP they take it to a whole other level by making it literally flow. Beauty conveniently often comes with immortality as well, which is why the royal sisters might have flowing manes, and Mistmane is supposed to be the embodiment of beauty so she has it.

So to answer the question, you either need to be immortal, destined for something greater, ridiculously powerful, or delve dangerously far into dark magic.

(edited)
On 8/12/2018 at 5:10 PM, SharpWit said:

I think it's a sign of immense raw power. Celestia has always had this. Luna has this but she didn't have it during her first appearance which I think is due to her being in a uniquely weakened state. Sombra had this, as did the pony of shadows, but then again both had shadow powers so maybe it's not the same thing. If it is then it could be that Mistmane is extraordinarily powerful but is limited to her role as a pillar and towards making things beautiful. If not, then perhaps it's an ethereal sign of beauty. Having "flowing" hair is often considered beautiful and in MLP they take it to a whole other level by making it literally flow. Beauty conveniently often comes with immortality as well, which is why the royal sisters might have flowing manes, and Mistmane is supposed to be the embodiment of beauty so she has it.

So to answer the question, you either need to be immortal, destined for something greater, ridiculously powerful, or delve dangerously far into dark magic.

I think your right about most of that. But you can't say for certain so there really isn't an answer.

But Alicorns are most likely Immortal from what we have seen and Twilight is an Alicorn be she does not have a flowing mane.

Twilight is also destined for something great or was at least until she became an alicorn and still does not have one.

Ridiculously powerful? well, StarSwirl is very powerful and he does not have one.

The dark magic part i can't really object to. And Mistmane is not Immortal, destined for something greater(most likely not) very powerful, or into dark magic,

I honestly think it could be a sign of wisdom, why? Because it would make sense that the oldest of the pillars(probably) would have a flowing mane, so would Celestia and Luna who are very old and wise. The only problem with this is that Mistmane had one when she was younger. Actually, it just hit me.

What if it is not a sign of great power or any single thing, but multiple. Think about it. Celestia and Luna are Alicorns, both are very old and quite knowledgeable, so maybe one reason for a mane like that is becoming and Aging as an Alicorn. Cadance and Twilight are too young to show the signs if this is the case, and for Mistmane it could be that since she has the magic of beauty i guess you could say, so she is the master of her own magic. So i think its either Master your own unique magic, or become an Alicorn and age quite a bit. I cant say for sure yet though.

I was going to say it is like this for Alicorns.

Get cutie mark>Get Alicorn Status> Get Flowing Mane after you have proven to be a good protector(Alicorn). But Mistmane shoots that down or shows an alternative to it.

whatcha think?

Edited by Unity

4 hours ago, cher-bear said:

So yeah there goes my fleeting theory. 

Also Luna doesn't have a flowing mane in episode 2. :okiedokieloki:

Not necessary to abandon your theory. Two similar effects can coexist and have completely different catalysts. Nature and science shows us that, so the ever flexible properties of fictional magic ponies can do the same. :)

• Brohoof 1

Something affects the flowing of the mane, most likely a spell. In the episode ‘A Royal Problem’, Luna’s mane stopped moving when she smacked her head on the table.

Spoiler

01D66762-9D84-41CB-9C61-D796EE4EF150.gif.03bb096849a11a6714f38a25096f29f2.gif

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Something affects the flowing of the mane, most likely a spell. In the episode ‘A Royal Problem’, Luna’s mane stopped moving when she smacked her head on the table.

Reveal hidden contents

01D66762-9D84-41CB-9C61-D796EE4EF150.gif.03bb096849a11a6714f38a25096f29f2.gif

Her hair stopped Flowing but never stopped sparkling.

it could just have to do with their consciousness at the time but i could have sword we have seen the two sisters sleep and their manes kept on flowing.

5 minutes ago, Error 404 said:

To me it feels/seems like that they have ascended somehow and that is why their hair is like that 

I think we need a background episode/spinoff on Celestia and Luna showing their entire journey/life up to this point would be really interesting

11 minutes ago, Unity said:

Her hair stopped Flowing but never stopped sparkling.

it could just have to do with their consciousness at the time but i could have sword we have seen the two sisters sleep and their manes kept on flowing.

You are correct. They show Luna sleeping but her mane keeps moving.

Spoiler

106CB088-2A37-417F-A514-A301E8C9E796.gif.1c14dc251e9a8f55858ed8adce74bad0.gif

31 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

You are correct. They show Luna sleeping but her mane keeps moving.

Reveal hidden contents

106CB088-2A37-417F-A514-A301E8C9E796.gif.1c14dc251e9a8f55858ed8adce74bad0.gif

Well, let's just disregard that first one where her hair stops flowing and just say we don't exactly know.